Re: PROUD UKRAINIAN

  • Dr.A.Raviv
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 8, 2006
      Dear Mimi,

      I want to congratulate you for having reminded the
      Participants (myself included) that there were Ukrainians
      who helped Jews during the war, and that not all the
      Ukrainians are antisemites. Not only for the sake of truth,
      but if we remember this we shall feel much better during
      our stay in the Ukraine.

      You are right: adopting an attitude of superiority may
      arouse antisemitic feelings.

      Moadim le-Simkha,

      Alex

      N.B. As Alex's wife I am following with great interest what's
      going on on the web of the Reunion, although I will not
      (to my regret) participate at it.
      Now I have a question: Did you,Mimi, or anybody else who
      reads these lines go to Henka and Ety's Kindergarten
      (1942-44)? I myself was one of the little ones - my name
      was Renee Teiler and at the time we lived on Neuweltgasse
      corner of Josephsgasse.
      Best wishes and Pesakh Sameakh
      Regina

      --- In czernowitz2006@yahoogroups.com, Miriam Taylor <mirtaylo@...>
      wrote:
      >> Miriam (Mimi) Taylor <mirtaylo@...>
      >
      > > I believe Mr Breier's poem summarizes quite nicely what Ukraine
      has given
      > > our world...
      > > Danny
      >

      > Dear Czernowitzers,
      >
      > The fate of Jews in the Ukraine has certainly not been a happy one.
      > Many of us carry bitter memories, but as we prepare to visit the
      city
      > of our birth and or the birth of our ancestors, let us not do so
      with an
      > attitude of contempt and or hatred.
      >
      > While I remember being called a "persheve jidd", I also remember
      Ukrainian

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 9, 2006

        > Dear Mimi,
        >
        > I want to congratulate you for having reminded the
        > Participants (myself included) that there were Ukrainians
        > who helped Jews during the war, and that not all the
        > Ukrainians are antisemites. Not only for the sake of truth,
        > but if we remember this we shall feel much better during
        > our stay in the Ukraine.
        >
        > You are right: adopting an attitude of superiority may
        > arouse antisemitic feelings.
        >
        > Moadim le-Simkha,
        >
        > Alex
        >
        > N.B. As Alex's wife I am following with great interest what's
        > going on on the web of the Reunion, although I will not
        > (to my regret) participate at it.
        > Now I have a question: Did you,Mimi, or anybody else who
        > reads these lines go to Henka and Ety's Kindergarten
        > (1942-44)? I myself was one of the little ones - my name
        > was Renee Teiler and at the time we lived on Neuweltgasse
        > corner of Josephsgasse.
        > Best wishes and Pesakh Sameakh
        > Regina

        Dear Regina,

        I am very glad to meet another Czernowitzer.
        My Czernowitz name was Reifer and my Mother's maiden name was Steinmetz.
        It seems you and I are the same age, but as one of the less important
        consequences of the war, I did not go to Kindergarten. I lived very close
        to you on the Schmiedgasse (Strada Cronicarul Neculcea) and had there not
        been the war, the two of us would probably have gone to the same school.
        Did you too, go to the Yiddish school after the liberation?

        Do you, or anyone else remember the entrance of the Russian troops in March
        of 1944? It was a sunny day and not cold for that time of year. They came
        down the Siebenburgerstrasse in open trucks and when they saw children in
        the crowd, they yelled "malchik" or " dyevushka" and threw candy. How very
        happy we were to see them! And now it is 62 years later.

        That year there was "Shmira" - Matzah shmurah for Passover.