Re: [czernowitz2006] PROUD UKRAINEAN

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 6, 2006
      Miriam (Mimi) Taylor <mirtaylo@...>

      > I believe Mr Breier's poem summarizes quite nicely what Ukraine has given
      > our world...
      > Danny

      Dear Czernowitzers,

      The fate of Jews in the Ukraine has certainly not been a happy one.
      Many of us carry bitter memories, but as we prepare to visit the city
      of our birth and or the birth of our ancestors, let us not do so with an
      attitude of contempt and or hatred.

      While I remember being called a "persheve jidd", I also remember Ukrainian
      pheasant women who brought us food during the war and others who fought a
      Russian "Natchalnik" so my mother would not have to work felling trees.

      During my two previous visits to Chernivtsi I encountered neither
      Anti-Semitism nor meanness and I do not expect to encounter any,
      this time either.

      Let's not cause it by behaving superior.

      Mimi
    • AJS1PRES@AOL.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 6, 2006
        I would like to add a little to what Mimi said. I am not a very
        religious Jew. I go to synagogue mostly on the holidays. However, twice
        in my life I wore a kippa continuously. First for three weeks when I
        visited Israel in 1987, and again last May when i visited Czernowitz. I
        did this as a tribute to my ancestors, and to show the population there
        that Jews have returned.
        Though I noticed some curious looks, not once was I approached nor did
        I feel threatened. It was one of the best parrts of my trip; that I
        could be a Jew here in Czernowitz, as easily as I could in Israel.
        While I am not promoting this type of activity for everyone, as a
        great man once said: "It couldn't hurt".
        The real point is that this wonderful journey you are embarking on is
        a wonderful opportunity to show the natives, that this city is so
        special, that decades and decades, possibly generations might separate
        us, nevertheless we return. We share the pride of the natives of today,
        as our ancestors once did.

        Your actions will have an effect on the future of the Jewish presence
        in Czernowitz as surely as our ancestors did.

        Bruce Wexler
        Jackson, NJ
      • Dr.A.Raviv
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 8, 2006
          Dear Mimi,

          I want to congratulate you for having reminded the
          Participants (myself included) that there were Ukrainians
          who helped Jews during the war, and that not all the
          Ukrainians are antisemites. Not only for the sake of truth,
          but if we remember this we shall feel much better during
          our stay in the Ukraine.

          You are right: adopting an attitude of superiority may
          arouse antisemitic feelings.

          Moadim le-Simkha,

          Alex

          N.B. As Alex's wife I am following with great interest what's
          going on on the web of the Reunion, although I will not
          (to my regret) participate at it.
          Now I have a question: Did you,Mimi, or anybody else who
          reads these lines go to Henka and Ety's Kindergarten
          (1942-44)? I myself was one of the little ones - my name
          was Renee Teiler and at the time we lived on Neuweltgasse
          corner of Josephsgasse.
          Best wishes and Pesakh Sameakh
          Regina

          --- In czernowitz2006@yahoogroups.com, Miriam Taylor <mirtaylo@...>

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 9, 2006
            Miriam (Mimi) Taylor <mirtaylo@...>

            > Dear Mimi,
            >
            > I want to congratulate you for having reminded the
            > Participants (myself included) that there were Ukrainians
            > who helped Jews during the war, and that not all the
            > Ukrainians are antisemites. Not only for the sake of truth,
            > but if we remember this we shall feel much better during
            > our stay in the Ukraine.
            >
            > You are right: adopting an attitude of superiority may
            > arouse antisemitic feelings.
            >
            > Moadim le-Simkha,
            >
            > Alex
            >
            > N.B. As Alex's wife I am following with great interest what's
            > going on on the web of the Reunion, although I will not
            > (to my regret) participate at it.
            > Now I have a question: Did you,Mimi, or anybody else who
            > reads these lines go to Henka and Ety's Kindergarten
            > (1942-44)? I myself was one of the little ones - my name
            > was Renee Teiler and at the time we lived on Neuweltgasse
            > corner of Josephsgasse.
            > Best wishes and Pesakh Sameakh
            > Regina

            Dear Regina,

            I am very glad to meet another Czernowitzer.
            My Czernowitz name was Reifer and my Mother's maiden name was Steinmetz.
            It seems you and I are the same age, but as one of the less important
            consequences of the war, I did not go to Kindergarten. I lived very close
            to you on the Schmiedgasse (Strada Cronicarul Neculcea) and had there not
            been the war, the two of us would probably have gone to the same school.
            Did you too, go to the Yiddish school after the liberation?

            Do you, or anyone else remember the entrance of the Russian troops in March
            of 1944? It was a sunny day and not cold for that time of year. They came
            down the Siebenburgerstrasse in open trucks and when they saw children in
            the crowd, they yelled "malchik" or " dyevushka" and threw candy. How very
            happy we were to see them! And now it is 62 years later.

            That year there was "Shmira" - Matzah shmurah for Passover.