Re: [czernowitz2006] MACH DICH KLEIN.doc

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2006
      > THERE WAS NO TIME TO LOOSE AS MAYOR POPOVICI , WHO HELPED
      > THE JEWS , WAS OUSTED AND REPLACED BY GENERAL CALOTESCU,
      > AND ALL POPOVICI PERMITS WERE YO BE ANNULLED IN A DAY OR SO.
      > SO WE PUT ALL OUR PROPERTY ON A CARRIAGE AND IN THE LAST BOX,
      > HALF FULL WITH POTS AND PANS THERE WAS SOME SPACE LEFT.
      > " IN YOU GO " SAID MOTHER .
      > THE BOX WAS SMALL AND I WAS BIG AND TIME WAS PRESSING.
      > MY MOTHER SAID : " MACH DICH KLEIN " .
      >
      > HARDY

      In my case it was "mach dich stumm"- make yourself mute.
      During the summer of 1942, we were living with friends of my parents
      in their apartment. I do not know whether we still had not received
      our Calutescu papers, or what else was wrong, but when it became known
      that there would be a "Ratzia" - a round up of people for deportation
      to Transnistria, we hid in the attic of the apartment building.
      I think we were there for a number of days. To amuse myself, I sang
      to my Teddy-Bear. Then we were warned that the soldiers were actually
      in the building, my mother said: Mach dich ganz still und stumm.
      This was a phrase from one of the children songs I had just been singing,
      so I did what I was told.