MACH DICH KLEIN.doc

  • HARDY BREIER
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2006
      MACH DICH KLEIN.

      CZERNOWITZ HAD A BUS SERVICE JOINING IT TO ITS SUBURBS AND I REMEMBER USING IT VERY RARELY AS WE HAD NO DEALINGS OUT OF TOWN.
      I WAS THEN OVER 5 YEARS OLD AND NO LONGER ELLIGIBLE FOR FREE RIDES AND I REMEMBER THAT WHEN WE TOOK A BUS MY MOTHER USED TO TELL ME : " MACH DICH KLEIN " TO AVOID THE FARE .
      HOW OLD WAS I BY THEN ? I 'M NOT GOING TO TELL YOU SO YOU'LL
      NOT TELL AND GIVE ME AWAY TO THE CONDUCTOR!
      HOW DID I MAKE MYSELF " KLEIN " ? IF YOU BEND YOUR KNEES YOU ARE IMMEDIATELY ONE INCH SHORTER. I ALSO MADE A SAD FACE , THIS I BELIEVED ALSO MADE ME "KLEIN ".

      THEN CAME TIMES WHEN ALL OF US WISHED WE WERE " KLEIN"
      VERY "KLEIN" , THE SIZE OF A MOUSE SO WE COULD HIDE IN A MOUSE- HOLE , OF WHICH OUR TOWN HAD PLENTY.

      IN JANUARY 1942 WE GOT OUR POPOVICI PERMIT TO LEAVE THE GHETTO AND BY SOME MISTAKE MY NAME WAS OMITTED.
      THERE WAS NO TIME TO LOOSE AS MAYOR POPOVICI , WHO HELPED
      THE JEWS , WAS OUSTED AND REPLACED BY GENERAL CALOTESCU,
      AND ALL POPOVICI PERMITS WERE YO BE ANNULLED IN A DAY OR SO.
      SO WE PUT ALL OUR PROPERTY ON A CARRIAGE AND IN THE LAST BOX,
      HALF FULL WITH POTS AND PANS THERE WAS SOME SPACE LEFT.
      " IN YOU GO " SAID MOTHER .
      THE BOX WAS SMALL AND I WAS BIG AND TIME WAS PRESSING.
      MY MOTHER SAID : " MACH DICH KLEIN " .

      HARDY

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 2006
        > THERE WAS NO TIME TO LOOSE AS MAYOR POPOVICI , WHO HELPED
        > THE JEWS , WAS OUSTED AND REPLACED BY GENERAL CALOTESCU,
        > AND ALL POPOVICI PERMITS WERE YO BE ANNULLED IN A DAY OR SO.
        > SO WE PUT ALL OUR PROPERTY ON A CARRIAGE AND IN THE LAST BOX,
        > HALF FULL WITH POTS AND PANS THERE WAS SOME SPACE LEFT.
        > " IN YOU GO " SAID MOTHER .
        > THE BOX WAS SMALL AND I WAS BIG AND TIME WAS PRESSING.
        > MY MOTHER SAID : " MACH DICH KLEIN " .
        >
        > HARDY

        In my case it was "mach dich stumm"- make yourself mute.
        During the summer of 1942, we were living with friends of my parents
        in their apartment. I do not know whether we still had not received
        our Calutescu papers, or what else was wrong, but when it became known
        that there would be a "Ratzia" - a round up of people for deportation
        to Transnistria, we hid in the attic of the apartment building.
        I think we were there for a number of days. To amuse myself, I sang
        to my Teddy-Bear. Then we were warned that the soldiers were actually
        in the building, my mother said: Mach dich ganz still und stumm.
        This was a phrase from one of the children songs I had just been singing,
        so I did what I was told.