RE: Meds for Hesed-Shushana and or local hospitals

  • Danny and Sharon Alon
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2006
      Dear All,

      As for the idea of donating medications to the Hesed - Shoshana/local
      hospital, I have in the mean time consulted a few professionals here
      (informative persons I know from the local offices of some international
      pharmaceutical companies). Here are some of the conclusions I have reached
      and would like to present to the group:

      1. It is forbidden to enter most countries, including the Ukraine, with
      medicines in amounts that exceed those intended for reasonable personal use.
      A special permit is demanded. Obtaining such a permit in our case seems
      unpractical due to time limitations on the one hand and the notorious
      beurocratic processes of the former soviet block states on the other hand.
      2. Dr Bursuk has requested cardiovascular medications. Obviously, these
      medications are taken on a regular basis by those who require them.
      Supplying one with the amounts needed to "start with" and then switching to
      other, local preparations is, of course, medically unadvisable.
      3. All 'pharmaceutical people' I have consulted agree that there is no
      shortage of medications of any sort in eastern Europe (They are familiar
      with the subject since in many pharmaceutical companies Israel used to
      belong or still belongs to the business unit designated "central-eastern
      Europe"). The problem in these countries is, however, the financial
      constraints many patients face, being unable to afford the medications which
      are there on the shelves.
      4. Cz is home to the "Bukowina medical Academy". They even have a program in
      English for foreign medical students, for 2200$ a year.... (see at
      www.bsmu.edu./ua/en/index.asp. If the local medical authorities in Cz are at
      least as proud as the ones here, they wouldn't want us to decide which
      medications they need and would rather purchase themselves whatever they see
      fit (might it be furniture, imaging equipment, library computers, sterile
      gloves or whatever).

      I would therefore suggest:
      1. Collecting the donations we decide upon while we are in Cz, and buying
      all required medications for Hesed Shoshana at local, private pharmacies.
      This way we risk no border-crossing confiscations and also make sure that,
      when needed, treatment can be continued with local formulations.
      2. I would reconsider donating to local hospitals. I would rather
      concentrate on donating to the jewish community whatever we decide upon. If
      we do decide do go ahead with it, I would suggest considering a sum of money
      that would enable us to truly make a small difference there. A difference
      that perhaps can be memorized in a small plaque stating "donated by former
      jewish residents of Cz and their descendants".

      Looking forward to receiving your comments, as to the ideas in general and
      the sums of money you have in mind in particular. I personally believe that
      everyone should be allowed to donate how much he/she chooses or avoid
      donating all together.

      Danny
    • mirtaylo@indiana.edu
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2006
        Dear Danny,

        Thank you for being so prompt and practical.

        I do not know how many people offered to contribute towards the expense
        of buying the medical or pharmaceutical supplies. Mostly they were
        people who plan on coming to the reunion, some where not. The number of
        the participants at the reunion now stands at 62, so I assume we could
        collect between $3000 to $5000.

        Possibly, you could write to both the Yahoo group as well as to the Cz.
        - L, that you are trying to collect a given sum and that anyone who
        wants to contribute, should send you a check by April 18.

        Best regards,

        Mimi

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2006

          As one can read in the correspondence below, we are trying to collect a
          certain sum of money to be donated during our Cz-Reunion to the local jewish
          community and/or to local hospitals, to be spent on purchasing medical and
          pharmaceutical supplies.
          All of you who are interested in such an endeavor, are kindly requested to
          send me an e-mail, stating the following:
          Your name, the sum of money you are willing to donate, and whether you would
          like it to be donated to the local jewish organization (Hesed Shushana) and
          or to local general hospitals.
          Everyone is of course free to donate how much he/she chooses and to the
          organization he/she prefers.

          Do send me your answers till April the 10th (that's 10 days from now!).
          I will collect the money personally while in Cz from those who intend to
          participate in the Reunion. I will soon inform those who will not attend how
          they can transfer the money appropriately (after obtaining a general
          impression of how many they are).

          Thanks for your cooperation,