MOVIES.doc

  • HARDY BREIER
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 28, 2006
      MOVIES.

      We had a few cinema theatres in town and I try to remember:
      The Roxy on the Landhausgasse
      The Central in the Musikverein on the Mehlplatz
      The Scala on the Schillerpark
      3 on the Herrengasse: The Deutsche Haus, the Capitol across the street
      and the Select (?) near the Ringplatz.
      What did we see:
      During the war German , French, Italian movies:
      Das indische Grabmal and Der Tiger von Eschnapur (German )
      La bete humain with Jean Gabin ,
      Macario ( Italian comedian) films.
      Die goldene Stadt ( Kristina Soederbaum )
      The Soviet period:
      Russian patriotic war films of Nazi atrocities and Russian valor, we didn't understand the language but we enjoyed seeing the Germans
      beaten and the Russians victorious.
      Then they brought the first Hollywood films and the world wasn't
      the same again . And we began admiring all things American.
      Even on the Russian War: they brought an MGM picture with Robert Taylor " The Song of Russia " that put all the Soviet films to shame:
      Robert Taylor, a famous American symphony conductor is on a concert tour in Russia , falls in love with Russian girl who is also the virtuoso piano
      soloist .
      They decide to marry and to do so, they go to her kolchoz. In the middle
      of the ceremony the Germans strike . The Russians set fire to the kolkhoz
      so that it won't fall in German hands.
      The kolkhoz goes up in flames , the girl dies and Taylor conducts.
      Tchaykovsky's Pathetique of course. All the way back to America.
      To tell the world of "The Song of Russia"!
      Who could beat Hollywood ?
      This film we viewed 7 times within a month.
      Then there was " The Thief of Bagdad " ( 8 viewings).
      Then came " Sun Valley Serenade " with Sonya Hennie and the Glenn Miller Band playing "In the Mood" and "Chattanooga Choo Choo" and this knocked us out completely.
      Then came Bucharest and Israel with" Gilda" and Rita Hayworth singing "Amado Mio " and moving her hips and the strip tease act of "Put the blame
      on Mame, boy".
      And then , Ingrid Bergman in " For Whom the Bell Tolls " crying her heart out for her guy , who is left behind facing a heroic death , holding up the
      Franco troops..
      No wonder, if the guy happens to be tall , blue eyed and his name is
      Gary Cooper...
      Wouldn't you ?
      hardy

    • Berti Glaubach
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 28, 2006
        You forgot Zorro and Black Eagle at the Roxy, also innumarable Laurels and
        Hardy there, the Savoy on Rathhausstrasse and Scala only with "good"
        pictures, Greta Garbo, Sonja Hennje etc
        And during the war the German pictures Baron von Muenchhausen with Hans
        Albers, and those with Hans Moser and Theo Lingen.
        Oh well, and many others.

        Berti