Re: [czernowitz2006] Elective programs

    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 27, 2006

      > Since I have never been to Cz I am hesitating to make any suggestions....
      > However, What about an evening concert or some other performance? Is there a
      > local jewish theatre performing in Yiddish? A local jewish orchestra? A Cz
      > symphony / chamber orchestra? How would it be possible to obtain information
      > regarding such events? If there is someone/a certain institution in Cz I can
      > contact in order to get the relevant details, I would love to try and
      > organize such an event. Mimi - If you see fit and can make any suggestions
      > on how to move ahead, do inform me.
      > Danny

      Dear Danny,

      Whether you have been to Czernowitz or not, your suggestions are welcome,
      entirely sensible and appropriate. Others have made similar or the same
      suggestions.

      David Glynn suggested that we view some performance at the Chernivtci
      Theatre, so we can see the building and enjoy a performance at the same
      time. A few weeks ago I asked Zoya Danilovitch, my contact person at the
      hotel Cheremosh, whether she could make arrangements for this. She replied
      that it was too early to know what performances would be on the program of
      that week. I intend to ask her again, or if you could find out, I would
      appreciate it.

      Joe Poras has written me about a local Klezmer group.
      Please contact Joe and see if he would like help in evaluating this group,
      and in making any other arrangements.

      I do not know of any institution Cz. from whom you could get information,
      which does not mean that such an institution does not exist.
      When I was in Chernivtsi in 2003 or 2004, we heard a small orchestra which
      performed in one of the restaurants; they played Ukrainian folk music with a
      definite attempt to make it sound modern and influenced by Jazz and Rock
      music. I do not know their name or whether they still perform.

      If members of this group who have been to Cz. more recently than I, have
      some recommendations, please send them to the group.

      Mimi
    • Gabriele Weissmann
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 28, 2006
        Dear friends,
        In my previous e-mail /article about the Berlin Jewish Festival (I shall
        traslate it into English in the next days)which took place in December
        of last year, a Czernowitz clezmer band is mentioned, which was invited
        to this festival. It is led by a certain Lev Feldman, who is Jewish,
        however most of the band are not, which is not so important. They are
        managed by Sergji Osachuk the historian, maybe some of you met him in
        Czernowitz. The music went down very well with the public among which
        were many German Czernowitz fans, some former scholars who have studied
        in Czernowitz for years, etc. If they are not on tour, they
        will certainly be willing to play, however there are quite a few of them
        so it might become expensive. But probably they can reduce the band.
        I could try to contact him.
        Also, on a visit we also heard a really good band made up of three
        people-we have a recording of a lovely song (in Ukrainian unfortunately)
        which talks of one grand-father, Jewish rabbi from Vitebsk and the other
        grand-father a Pole from Krakow. who meet in the Gulag in Siberia and
        the grand-daughter is searching them, singing "where are you, where
        shall I look for you and find you"..I could bring a CD along, it is
        probably possible to play it somewhere in the hotel.
        Great idea visiting the theatre, it is beautiful and beautifully
        renovated, there was a performance there in 2001, on the occasion of
        Rose Auslaendere's 100th birthday anniversary, my husband and daughter
        performed, it was moving to be in a place where our parents and
        grand-parents had seen many performances.
        Maybe there is a performance with dance and music, I don't think many
        will be interested to see a play in Ukrainian. But a visit to the place
        is worth it.
        There was a great Jewish actress in Czernowitz, well-known all over the
        Bukowinian diaspora, Sidi Tal, who performed the most well-known Jiddish
        plays
        for many years there, but unfortunately she is dead and there certainly
        is no-one of her calibre to replace her. The only person who can be
        compared to her is the great Lya K�nig, who also has lived in
        Czernowitz, was married to a Czernowitzer, and is now a great actress at
        the Habima.

        --
        Gabriele Weissmann
        Kaiserdamm 18

        Tel./Fax: +49.30.321 15 38
        E-Mail: G.Weissmann@...
      • Joe Poras
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 28, 2006
          Hi,
          In answer to Danny's inquiry, I also thought it would be a good idea to
          have some entertainment.

          I went to the web site of the Jewish agency

          Hesed-Shushana in Cz (see cut and paste link)

          http://shushana.h1.ru/ENG/eng_index.html

          and saw they have a Klezmer group. I inquired about the group and got
          the following reply from their executive director.
          Dear Joe,
          Yes, Kletzmer band exists, every Tuesday and Thursday after a dinner
          they rehearse in hesed. They play to public on Purim. Have written ?D.
          Prepare on street festival Kletzmer music in Linz (Austria). Acted in
          Kiev. The head of an orchestra will go to Sankt-Petersburg on Klezfest
          in August. If you warn beforehand, it is possible to organize mini
          concert of Kletzmer muzik for you.
          -- Best regards,
          Natasha
          mailto:pechh@...
          If the group is interested (more that 25 people) Danny and I could try
          to arrange an evening concert in the hotel with their playing for about
          an hour and a half. We would rent a room and pay the group. Don't know
          how much it would be, but I am sure it would be reasonable. Would
          suggest Sunday night so the group could get to know one another and have
          a little dance to boot!!

          Lets have feed back, please.
          ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
          I also contacted Dr. Bursuc who is the physician for the agency. I asked
          what he might need from us
          for his organization. Below is his reply.

          Sehr geeherter Herr Poras!

          Danke das Sie wohlen helfen.
          Wen es is moglich helfen Sie mit Herzmedikamenten und Antibiotiks.
          Mehr nichts.

          Mit freundlichen Grussen
          Josef Bursuc.

          I will query him further on which heart medicines and antibiotics he needs. I will contact the group again and let you know what specifically he needs. We can then work on obtaining them.

          Yours,

          Joe
        • wolfgang schaechter
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 28, 2006
            Joe, please count us [2] in on the klezmer concert, maybe klezmer konzert...

            Regarding medications, we need a doctor in the house because the meds are very likely to be prescription in the USA. Bangkok, I could buy them at the local pharmacy but USA, no way.

            Incidentally, bringing meds is a great idea. A friend of ours belongs to a church group and they went to Africa [I think] and brought meds with them in their suitcases.

            Wolf

            wolfgang schaechter
            981 wood duck court
            santa clara, ca 95051-4516
            1-408-241-7423 [voice/fax/voice mail]
            wolfgangs@...
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 29, 2006
              I think that Joe's idea of a dance on Sunday evening is a very good one.
              We can rent one of the public rooms at the Cheremosh for $16 an hour.
              I will gladly make the arrangements with the hotel for reserving the room,
              as long as one of you deals with the band and the financial aspects.

              Is the band you are talking about, the same band as the one Gabriele Weisman
              wrote about? Could the three of you work on this together? If it is not the
              same band, could you decide which is the better band?

              Lomer alle freilach sen,
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 29, 2006

                In answer to Joe and Wolf:

                Last count,I think there are 6 physicians among our group of participants,
                If they would make up a list of medications, we could all contribute towards
                paying for them. Thanks to Joe for taking the initiative and contacting
                Dr. Bursuk. The physicians in our group could consult with him as to what he
                needs. It might also be a nice gesture to contribute some medications and
                basic medical and pharmaceuticals, such as surgical gloves and dressings to
                the local hospital. When I had occasion to be in the hospital in 2003, they
                did not have any of the the things, we take for granted.

                Mimi
              • jfa2000@mymailstation.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 29, 2006
                  Hello Mimi --

                  Even though we cannot attend the Reunion itself, my husband and I would like to contribute toward the purchase of medications and supplies. When a proposed contribution figure is decided upon, or at least a desirable "ballpark figure" is suggested, please post it on the group website. There may be others like myself who'd wish to contribute to this excellent initiative whether or not they can be with the group in Czernowitz.

                  Jessie Attiyeh
                  jfa2000@...
                • Danny and Sharon Alon
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 29, 2006
                    I am afraid I have been quite left out here; what messages have been sent by
                    Joe and Wolf - have they been sent to the yahoo group? what medications are
                    we discussing? For whom? What quantities are in mind? For private persons?
                    For a donation to a hospital pharmacy? To an Emergency room?
                    Would gladly help if appropriately informed.
                    Danny
                  • AJS1PRES@AOL.com

                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 29, 2006

                        To all who offered to contribute towards buying medicines and medical and
                        pharmaceutical supplies to be donated to Chesed Shoshana and/or the local
                        Chernivtsi hospital, Thank you for your generous offers.

                        The idea did not originate with me, but with Joe Poras, then picked up by
                        Wolfgang Schaechter and I was only the third link in the chain.
                        I am sorry, but I cannot coordinate this effort.
                        I hope someone will volunteer to do it. I too will gladly contribute towards
                        cost.

                        Best regards,

                        Mimi
                      • flo heymann
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 29, 2006
                          Dear all,
                          I would just to add that my husband, Dr Yaacov Heymann, is also physician,
                          specialized in geriatrics. I know that we are all of us very young, but it
                          must be helpful.
                          All the best
                          Florence Heymann

                          http://www.msn.fr/msger/default.asp
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 22 10:55 AM

                            The elective programs, are those that are not part of our joint activities
                            and payment for participating in them is not included in the $30 fee
                            collected from all participants. Insofar that there is a cost involved,
                            they will have to be paid for by those participating in them once we are in
                            Chernivtsi.

                            On the initial schedule, there were a number of free periods, during which
                            some of us planned to go on individual day trips, visits to the archives and
                            the cemetery. The elective programs are not meant to interfere either with
                            the joint programs or with these individual activities, but to supplement
                            them. All and any who have signed up with Simon Kreindler, for the day trips
                            or Shtetel trips, your trips have been arranged and you are bound by these
                            arrangements.

                            At this time I would like to announce some of the elective programs which
                            have been scheduled definitely for specific time periods and outline some
                            other programs about which my information is incomplete.

                            DEFINITELY SCHEDULED PROGRAMS:

                            1) Sunday Evening May 21st 20:30 - 23:30 Dance and Cabaret to local Klezmer.
                            at the Cheremosh. Organized by Joe Poras, fee: $12 per person.

                            2) Tuesday May 23rd 16:00 - 18:30 "The fables of Eliezer Steinberg"
                            Talk in Yiddish by Dr. Alexander Raviv to be given in the offices of
                            the Jewish community of Chernivtsi. Possible small fee if we need to rent
                            a larger space

                            PROGRAMS FOR WHICH MY INFORMATION IS INCOMPLETE:

                            3) Showing of the movie "Dieses Jahr in Czernowitz" Gabriele Weissmann is
                            bringing the movie with her and making arrangements with the hotel
                            Cheremosh for a room in which it can be shown. It will be shown either on
                            Monday May 22nd or on May 23rd at 20:30 or 21:00.
                            The fee will be decided depending on the cost of renting the room and
                            projector.

                            4) Should there be a performance of interest to us, at the theatre on either
                            the evening of May 22nd or May 23rd, we might organize a group to attend.

                            5) Abraham Kogan will lead a very small group on a walk of the city.
                            Itinerary and time to be announced later.

                            6) Berti Glaubach will lead a very small group on a walk of the city.
                            Itinerary and time to be announced later.

                            7) Literary walk led by Peter Rychlo, of Czernowitz University. Size of
                            group not yet determined. Itinerary and time to be announce later.
                            Marianne Hirsch is organizing this walk and should have a description
                            and probable fee available shortly.

                            8) Visit to see the interior of the theatre. Organized by David Glynn.
                            Duration, time and cost, as yet not determined.

                            Currently free time slots for the elective walks are:

                            Sat. May 20 morning
                            Mon. May 22 morning
                            Tue. May 23 morning and
                            Wed. May 24 morning

                            During the same time there are individual day trips scheduled for May 22
                            and the trip to Transnistria for May 23 and May 24. The literary walk with
                            Peter Rychlo will have to be scheduled for either May 20 or May 22, because
                            Marianne is going on the trip to Transnistria on the other two days.