  • Marianne Hirsch
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 12, 2005
      Dear group,

      The committee functions are well outlined below, but it is hard to vote
      since we mostly "know" each other through our emails. Ruth Gold sent
      us a bio but, unless I am mistaken, no one else who has been nominated
      has sent us such information. I would find it very helpful.
      I find myself staying out of most of these discussions since this
      process has been incredibly strange and disembodied, largely a function
      of the internet. In addition, I would urge the committee to draw on
      the expertise and prior arrangements made by the Luba who sadly has now
      left the group. It seems really silly to reinvent the wheel.

      On Oct 12, 2005, at 11:50 AM, Miriam Taylor wrote:

      As we vote for members of the committee to organize the "Czernowitz
      Reunion
      2006", I think that we should be clear about the functions of the
      committee.

      Most importantly I think that the committee shall act in accordance with
      decisions which we have reached so far about dates, location, name and
      suggested program.

      It shall consult the participants on issues which are in question.

      Consult the whole Czernowitz list on any plans and arrangements which
      may
      have an effect beyond the "Czernowitz Reunion 2006" meeting.

      I see the functions of the committee as:

      1. Decide on a timetable for the program we have agreed on.

      2. Book meeting rooms, and make other practical arrangements.

      3. Arrange for lecturers or discussion leaders where appropriate.

      4. Obtain information and facilitate travel arrangements to Chernivtsi.

      5. Obtain information on hotels and arrange for group discounts.

      6. Obtain information and facilitate day trips from Czernowitz to
      neighboring towns and villages.

      7. Publicize the "Czernowitz Reunion 2006" in the hope that other
      "Czernowitzers" may join us.

      Mimi

      Marianne Hirsch
      Department of English and Comparative Literature
      Philosophy Hall, rm 602
      Columbia University
      New York, NY. 10027
      (212) 854-5121

      Dept phone: (212) 854-3215
      Fax (212) 854-5398

      Home address: 455 Central Park West, Apt 15A
      New York, NY 10025
      Home phone: (212) 662-8083