Re: [czernowitz2006] Purpose of reunion and who is welcome to participate.

  • cornel fleming
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2, 2006
      hi berti....and thanks for that. as far as i am concerned too many jews have been blackballed for obvious reasons and it ill behooves us to do it to others. cornel
      From: Miriam Taylor
      Date: 03/02/06 17:38:11
      To: Marianne Hirsch; Gabriele Weissmann; Jane Rostos; CZERNOWITZ 2006 YAHOO
      LIST
      Subject: [czernowitz2006] Purpose of reunion and who is welcome to
      participate.

      Dear All,

      This message represents just my opinion and should be considered as such.

      As I wrote to Jane Rostos and previously to Gabriele, and as may have been
      evident from many of my previous letters to this group, I consider the
      "Czernowitz Reunion 2006" a meeting of
      JEWISH CZERNOWITZERS, THEIR DESCENDANTS AND RELATIVES AND CLOSE FRIENDS. IT
      IS NOT A PROFESSIONAL SYMPOSIUM, A PUBLIC SPECTACLE, A MEDIA EVENT OR A
      MOVIE SCRIPT. NEITHER ARE WE GATHERING IN ORDER TO PROVIDE RAW MATERIAL FOR
      THOSE WHO HAVE A PROFESSIONAL INTEREST (ARTISTIC OR ACADEMIC) IN STUDIYING
      US

      It is a first and probably only opportunity for us to be together in the
      city where we or our ancestors were born and talk about the things that not
      only interest us intellectually, we could do this anywhere, any time with
      anybody, but to pour out our feelings, share our intimate thoughts, memories
      and unanswered questions.

      The presence of Strangers, people who are not Jewish Czernowitzers, their
      descendants, close relatives and friends, will inhibit us, disturb us and
      make the whole meeting a farce. So will any actions by Jewish Czernowitzers,
      who's overriding purpose is to study us like guinea pigs.

      Before answering Jane Rostos, I asked the committee members for their
      opinion, I did the same every time Gabriele asked about inviting Journalists
      and Film makers. It so happens that when I asked about the Journalists and
      film makers, the members of the committee agreed with me, when I asked about
      the participation of Jane Rostos, they did not. That is why I wrote Jane the
      way I did. Personally I am against Jane being a participant at the reunion.
      I do not want her present at the memorial service, (remember my objection to
      inviting the Chernivtsi mayor, even thought some of you thought this would
      be politically or diplomatically advisable) nor when we talk about our
      experiences during WW2. Nor when we talk about the experiences of our
      parents in the 1930ties, nor when we talk about how we feel right now.

      Some of you will call me prejudiced, bigoted, politically incorrect.
      My answer is: I do not invite strangers to family and friends gatherings.
      If you say: but the Jewish Czernowitzers are not your friends and relatives.
      I will answer that they have the potential to be such, at least we share
      something that is very important to me. Others do not.

      So far everything we have done has been decided about democratically.
      I personally do not have the time, energy, stamina or "Cheshek" to send out
      a questionnaire and find out what the majority wants. Any of you are welcome
      to do so and we will act accordingly.

      Unless someone does so, I propose that Jane Rostos, Voelker Koepp, Othmar
      Andre and anyone else who's interest in the reunion is only professional,
      not be admitted to any of our joint functions.

      This is not a circus or a colony of experimental mice!

      Seit gesund,

      Genealogy family tree Family home

    • cornel fleming

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 4, 2006
          >Unless someone does so, I propose that Jane Rostos, Voelker Koepp, Othmar
          >Andre and anyone else who's interest in the reunion is only professional,
          >not be admitted to any of our joint functions.

          Mimi,

          With deep regret I have to propose that you not "organize" us any more and
          desist making this list a platform of your discriminatory views.

          Thanks, Henry

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 4, 2006
            this is usually the "fight" when a few jews want to meet together.
            we call it "milhemet ahim" ????? ????
            to all of you "???? ???"
            > >Unless someone does so, I propose that Jane Rostos, Voelker Koepp, Othmar
            > >Andre and anyone else who's interest in the reunion is only professional,
            > >not be admitted to any of our joint functions.
            >
            > Mimi,
            >
            > With deep regret I have to propose that you not "organize" us any more and
            > desist making this list a platform of your discriminatory views.
            >
            > Thanks, Henry

            YAHOO
> [...]
            > My answer is: I do not invite strangers to family and friends gatherings.
            > If you say: but the Jewish Czernowitzers are not your friends and
            relatives.
            > I will answer that they have the potential to be such, at least we share
            > something that is very important to me. Others do not.
            >
            > So far everything we have done has been decided about democratically.
            > I personally do not have the time, energy, stamina or "Cheshek" to send
            out
            > a questionnaire and find out what the majority wants. Any of you are
            welcome
            > to do so and we will act accordingly.
            >
            > Unless someone does so, I propose that Jane Rostos, Voelker Koepp, Othmar
            > Andre and anyone else who's interest in the reunion is only professional,
            > not be admitted to any of our joint functions.
            >
            > This is not a circus or a colony of experimental mice!

          • alon
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 4, 2006
              I strongly oppose the Mr Sinnreich's attitude and opinion. I believe Mimi
              has done nothing to deserve such offending words. Even if one thinkgs
              differently, and differences are of course allowed and are in a way welcome
              for they inspire one's thoughts, one must never forget the uniting basis of
              us all - our shared roots and admiration of old Cz. We must also not forget
              what Mimi has done up till now and will hopefully go on doing - her
              organizational skills and her energies have been a blessing to us all. She
              is, after all, entitled to have her own stand.
              Danny
              > >Unless someone does so, I propose that Jane Rostos, Voelker Koepp, Othmar
              > >Andre and anyone else who's interest in the reunion is only professional,
              > >not be admitted to any of our joint functions.
              >
              > Mimi,
              >
              > With deep regret I have to propose that you not "organize" us any more and
              > desist making this list a platform of your discriminatory views.
              >
              > Thanks, Henry

            • Abraham Kogan
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 4, 2006
                I fully agree with Danny Alon's views.
                Regards, AK
                > >Unless someone does so, I propose that Jane Rostos, Voelker Koepp, Othmar
                > >Andre and anyone else who's interest in the reunion is only professional,
                > >not be admitted to any of our joint functions.
                >
                > Mimi,
                >
                > With deep regret I have to propose that you not "organize" us any more and
                > desist making this list a platform of your discriminatory views.
                >
                > Thanks, Henry

              • S.Carlile
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 5, 2006
                  Dear Cz. travelers,

                  I don't know if any of you have even considered going to the University of
                  Czernovitz, but if you do, please keep in mind that my step-great
                  grandmother did attend the university and was majoring in English and
                  French. I shall ask my mama what her first and maiden names were - she was
                  a Laufersweiler by marriage and had 5 beautiful step-daughters, one of whom
                  was my Oma. Oh, how I wish I could go with you all and see those hallowed
                  halls and possibly meet some descendants of my family....

                  Peace,
                  Vye