Re: Introductions

  • Shellie Wiener
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2006
      Hi, all,

      Although I am not able to join you this spring in
      Czernowitz, my thoughts are with you. My immediate
      family having lived in Wiznitsa, Sanok, Putila, and
      other nothern Bukovinian villages and also many from
      the southern Bukovinian town of Dorna Vatra, I cannot
      say with any certainty that I had family living in
      Czernowitz.

      And yet, you give voice to a place and time that means
      a great deal to me. Since I have no first hand
      knowledge or memories to share, I have mostly been a
      silent participant in the group planning process.
      Yet, your experience gives me hope that I will one day
      have time and funds to take this same trip [and of
      course, I will have benefited from your trials and
      tribulations - even as to which hotel.]

      In the books referenced for reading in preparation to
      the trip, I see that the book compiled by Felicia
      Steigman Carmelly, my third cousin - "Shattered!
      50 Years of Silence: History and Voices
      of the Tragedy in Romania and Transnistria" is
      recommended. This book is heart-breaking for me, as
      both of Felicia's Rubinger grandmothers were first
      cousins to each other as well as to my paternal
      grandmother. In fact, until I read it three years ago
      I didn't even know that Felicia existed. [My
      grandmother had 55 first cousins just on her father's
      side!]

      Nonetheless, I was born in Brooklyn to American-born
      parents - my grandparents having left Kolomea and
      Dorna before 1920. I have always assumed that
      Czernowitz was a larger and more active city than
      Kolomea. While my Kolomea grandfather's surname was
      Windwehr, there were Rubingers in Kolomea as well as
      Bukovina. Without a doubt, all Rubingers are related.
      I have relatives in Israel, Australia, Canada,
      Europe, Argentina and Brazil and the U.S. Jane Reifer
      and I have not spoken in a while but her family is
      intermarried with 4th & 5th cousins of mine.

      For almost 20 years I have lived in San Francisco with
      my husband and two sons. My older son was born on
      April 20 - which was Hitler's birthday, as well. When
      the two boys killed students at Columbine HS in
      Colorado on April 20, 1999, they left a note about
      celebrating Hitler's birthday. This was talked about
      often at the time, and mu son now hates his birthday.
      I have mentioned that like the idea of the Messiah
      being born on Tish B'Av, perhaps he is destined to do
      some good in the world.

      So, if you have any comments about Kolomea vs.
      Czernowitz or any thing to say that is encouraging
      about sharing a birthday with the most reviled person
      on the planet, please drop me a note.

      I remain a staunch Czernowitz supporter and wish you
      only the best for the trip and for always.
      Shellie Wiener
      San Francisco, CA

      http://mail.yahoo.com