books in English

  • Marianne Hirsch
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2 7:06 AM
      A few additions to our English bibliography on Czernowitz, which is
      sparse:

      Aharon Apelfeld, "The Story of a Life," Schocken, 2004.

      Amy Colin, "Paul Celan: Holograms of Darkness," Indiana University
      Press, 1991(Part I gives a great account of the literary landscape of
      Czernowtiz in which Celan grew up).

      Gregor von Rezzori, "The Snows of Yesteryear," Vintage, 1991. Great
      chpt on returning to Czernowitz.

      2 more books on Celan: John Felstiner, "Paul Celan: Poet, Survivor,
      Jew " Yale University Press, 1995. an a count of Celan's life, and
      the task of translating his poetry into English.

      Israel Chalfen, "Paul Celan: A Biogprahy of his Youth," Persea
      Press1991. Chalfen was Celan's contemporary.

      The wonderful unpublishedmemoir by Pearl Fichmann, "Before Memory
      Fades" is available online, I believe.

      On transnistria:

      "Ruth's Journey," of course.

      Julius Fisher, "Transnistria : The Forgotten Cemetery,"1969

      Felicia Carmelly, "shattered: 50 Years of Silence," 1997.