Sad Czernowitzer Family Story

  • Abraham Kogan
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1 10:48 AM
      Dear Czernowitzers,

      I am told that in Czernowitz we might meet Dr. Iosif Bursuk, whose family managed to survive
      the 2nd WW and a small part of it still living in Cz .
      In an interview published in:
      http://www.centropa.org/archive.asp?DB=HIST&mode=bio&fn=Iosif&ln=Bursuk&country=Ukraine

      he is telling his family's story, a very sad one indeed, of a nice middle class Czernowitzer family, whom I knew quite well before WWII. They came to Cz. in the early 20s from Bessarabia (nowadays Moldova Republic). It is a rather long and very detailed story about a nice and warm Jewish family that, for various reasons, did not manage to get out of the Ukraine. For me it was quite heartbreaking; they were living in our neighbourhood, in a parallel street called at that time Schewcszenkogasse. I recommend reading it.

      Regards, AK

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 8 10:17 AM
        Miriam (Mimi) Taylor <mirtaylo@...>

        > Dear Czernowitzers,
        >
        > I am told that in Czernowitz we might meet Dr. Iosif Bursuk, whose family
        > managed to survive
        > the 2nd WW and a small part of it still living in Cz .
        > In an interview published in:
        > http://www.centropa.org/archive.asp?DB=HIST&mode=bio&fn=Iosif&ln=Bursuk&countr
        > y=Ukraine
        >
        > he is telling his family's story, a very sad one indeed, of a nice middle
        > class Czernowitzer family, whom I knew quite well before WWII. They came to
        > Cz. in the early 20s from Bessarabia (nowadays Moldova Republic). It is a
        > rather long and very detailed story about a nice and warm Jewish family that,
        > for various reasons, did not manage to get out of the Ukraine. For me it was
        > quite heartbreaking; they were living in our neighbourhood, in a parallel
        > street called at that time Schewcszenkogasse. I recommend reading it.
        >
        > Regards, AK

        Dear Avram and Czernowitzers,

        Only today, did I finally have time to read the sad story of Dr. Iosif
        Bursuk. Those of us traveling to Chernivtsi for the reunion, will have
        the opportunity to meet him when there. I have spoken to him recently by
        phone and have sent him Email. This is a sad story indeed. I think that we
        should definitely try and meet with the Jewish residents of Chernivtsi.
        Very few of us speak Russian or Ukrainian and few of them speak English or
        Hebrew, but those of us who speak German or Yiddish should probably make a
        special effort to meet with them.

        I would like to make a list of the reunion participants who speak
        and possibly read or write Yiddish well. Anyone interested,
        please write to me,

        Mimi
      • ravivhaifa
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 9 12:19 PM
          To: Miriam Taylor

          Dear Mimi,

          I fully agree with your opinion that we should try to meet with the
          Jewish residents of Chernivtsi; the most elementary feeling of Jewish
          solidarity should prompt us to do so.

          In this endeavour I could perhaps be helpful owing to my links with
          Dr.Josif Bursuk who is one of the prominent representatives of the
          Jewish Community of the town, and also because of my command of Yiddish.

          Did the telephone conversation with my friend Josif Bursuk give the
          expected results ? I hope it did,having acted as a kind of "Shadkhen"
          in this matter.

          Regarding my route, I shall not be coming via Lviv but via Kiev and
          from there also by airplane to Czernowitz. I have already purchased my
          flight tickets.

          I have also reserved at hotel Cheremosh a room on the 5th floor, as you
          recommended and received their confirmation.

          Best regards,
          Alex