Books

  • Gabriele Weissmann
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2006
      There are many books in German I know of, dealing with our "favourite"
      subject - Czernowitz. Can recommend a few, some I have not read yet.
      There is also
      some literature under >Czernowitz.de>, the home-page of Ottmar Andree, a
      Berliner who has a long-lasting love-affair with the city and its history.
      Here a few I like and recommend:
      - Czernowitz - Jüdisches Städtebild - Andrei Corbea-Hoisie - Publishers:
      Jüdischer Verlag Fraunkfurt (Suhrkamp);
      - Czernowitzer Geschichten - Andrei Corbea-Hoisie - Publishers: Böhlau -
      Vienna www.boehlau.at ;
      - An der Zeiten Ränder - Cecile Cordon and Helmut Kusdat - Publishers:
      Verlag der Theodor Kramer Gesellschaft, Vienna - TKG@... ;
      - Czernowitz - Helmut Braun - Die Geschichte einer untergegangenen
      Kulturmetropole -Christoph Links Verlag, Berlin - www.linksverlag.de ;
      - Othmar Andrée - Czernowitzer Spaziergänge - Publishers: Rose Ausländer
      Stiftung - www.roseauslaender-stiftung.de

      There are many more good books about the famous authors - Israel
      Chalfens beautiful biography of Paul Celan, which also gives a good
      insight into the life
      in Czernowitz, and although many scholars wrote very serious books on
      Celan, this is still my favourite. The poems of Rose Ausländer, the
      fables of Elieser Steinbarg, the poems in Jiddish and German by Itzig
      Manger. the Jiddish and German stories of Josef Burg, and so much more.
      Maybe there are translations in
      English of some of the above, certainly of the poets, I think. If anyone
      has such translations, it would be good to have them listed here.
      I will add a list given to me by Othmar Andrée-it has also many very
      "scientific" works but contains some good reading, mainly for German
      readers. And some
      books of biographical nature, which still make excellent reading.
      Impossible to read them all, let alone get them.
      Wishing you fun and good reading.
      Gabriele

      --

      Gabriele Weissmann
      Kaiserdamm 18

      Tel./Fax: +49.30.321 15 38
      E-Mail: G.Weissmann@...
    • Abraham Kogan
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1 8:48 AM
        Hello,

        May I add to the excellent list of books, provided by Mrs. Weissmann, the following:
        a.. Zwischen Pruth und Jordan - Lebenserinnerungen Czernowitzer Juden - B�hlau Verlag 2003
        b.. Czernowitz war ein Familienbegriff - Heinrich B�hl Stiftung, 2004
        c.. "Czernowitz is gewen an alte, jidische Schtot" - �berlebende berichten - Heinrich B�hl Stiftung, Berlin 1999
        d.. Margit Bartfeld-Feller: Wie aus ganz andern Welten - Erinnerungen an Czernowitz und die Sibirische Verbannung - Hartung-Gorre Verlag Konstanz
        For all those reading Hebrew, there is an excellent and comprehensive book by the late Dr. David Schaari "The history of Bukovina Jewry between the two World Wars" (title translated) published by the Tel Aviv University- Diaspora Research Center 2004

        Regards, Abraham K.

        There are many books in German I know of, dealing with our "favourite"
        subject - Czernowitz. Can recommend a few, some I have not read yet.
        There is also
        some literature under >Czernowitz.de>, the home-page of Ottmar Andree, a
        Berliner who has a long-lasting love-affair with the city and its history.
        Here a few I like and recommend:
        - Czernowitz - J�disches St�dtebild - Andrei Corbea-Hoisie - Publishers:
        J�discher Verlag Fraunkfurt (Suhrkamp);
        - Czernowitzer Geschichten - Andrei Corbea-Hoisie - Publishers: B�hlau -
        Vienna www.boehlau.at ;
        - An der Zeiten R�nder - Cecile Cordon and Helmut Kusdat - Publishers:
        Verlag der Theodor Kramer Gesellschaft, Vienna - TKG@... ;
        - Czernowitz - Helmut Braun - Die Geschichte einer untergegangenen
        Kulturmetropole -Christoph Links Verlag, Berlin - www.linksverlag.de ;
        - Othmar Andr�e - Czernowitzer Spazierg�nge - Publishers: Rose Ausl�nder
        Stiftung - www.roseauslaender-stiftung.de

        There are many more good books about the famous authors - Israel
        Chalfens beautiful biography of Paul Celan, which also gives a good
        insight into the life
        in Czernowitz, and although many scholars wrote very serious books on
        Celan, this is still my favourite. The poems of Rose Ausl�nder, the
        fables of Elieser Steinbarg, the poems in Jiddish and German by Itzig
        Manger. the Jiddish and German stories of Josef Burg, and so much more.
        Maybe there are translations in
        English of some of the above, certainly of the poets, I think. If anyone
        has such translations, it would be good to have them listed here.
        I will add a list given to me by Othmar Andr�e-it has also many very
        "scientific" works but contains some good reading, mainly for German
        readers. And some
        books of biographical nature, which still make excellent reading.
        Impossible to read them all, let alone get them.
        Wishing you fun and good reading.
        Gabriele

        --

        Gabriele Weissmann
        Kaiserdamm 18
        D- 14057 Berlin

        Tel./Fax: +49.30.321 15 38
        E-Mail: G.Weissmann@...

      • IRENE
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2 2:54 AM
          Hello Abraham, hello Hebrew readers,
          I have read the Hebrew version of (b)"Cz. war ein Familienbegriff" from H.Boell Stiftung. It's title is: "CZ.- MAKOM SHEL EDUTH", editor Andrea Peschel , by Resling-hotza'at sfarim
          e-mail: info@...
          site: www.resling.co.il

          Irene

          May I add to the excellent list of books, provided by Mrs. Weissmann, the following:
          a.. Zwischen Pruth und Jordan - Lebenserinnerungen Czernowitzer Juden - Bצhlau Verlag 2003
          b.. Czernowitz war ein Familienbegriff - Heinrich Bצhl Stiftung, 2004
          c.. "Czernowitz is gewen an alte, jidische Schtot" - berlebende berichten - Heinrich Bצhl Stiftung, Berlin 1999
          d.. Margit Bartfeld-Feller: Wie aus ganz andern Welten - Erinnerungen an Czernowitz und die Sibirische Verbannung - Hartung-Gorre Verlag Konstanz
          For all those reading Hebrew, there is an excellent and comprehensive book by the late Dr. David Schaari "The history of Bukovina Jewry between the two World Wars" (title translated) published by the Tel Aviv University- Diaspora Research Center 2004

          Regards, Abraham K.

          There are many books in German I know of, dealing with our "favourite"
          subject - Czernowitz. Can recommend a few, some I have not read yet.
          There is also
          some literature under >Czernowitz.de>, the home-page of Ottmar Andree, a
          Berliner who has a long-lasting love-affair with the city and its history.
          Here a few I like and recommend:
          - Czernowitz - Jdisches Stהdtebild - Andrei Corbea-Hoisie - Publishers:
          Jdischer Verlag Fraunkfurt (Suhrkamp);
          - Czernowitzer Geschichten - Andrei Corbea-Hoisie - Publishers: Bצhlau -
          Vienna www.boehlau.at ;
          - An der Zeiten Rהnder - Cecile Cordon and Helmut Kusdat - Publishers:
          Verlag der Theodor Kramer Gesellschaft, Vienna - TKG@... ;
          - Czernowitz - Helmut Braun - Die Geschichte einer untergegangenen
          Kulturmetropole -Christoph Links Verlag, Berlin - www.linksverlag.de ;
          - Othmar Andrיe - Czernowitzer Spaziergהnge - Publishers: Rose Auslהnder
          Stiftung - www.roseauslaender-stiftung.de

          There are many more good books about the famous authors - Israel
          Chalfens beautiful biography of Paul Celan, which also gives a good
          insight into the life
          in Czernowitz, and although many scholars wrote very serious books on
          Celan, this is still my favourite. The poems of Rose Auslהnder, the
          fables of Elieser Steinbarg, the poems in Jiddish and German by Itzig
          Manger. the Jiddish and German stories of Josef Burg, and so much more.
          Maybe there are translations in
          English of some of the above, certainly of the poets, I think. If anyone
          has such translations, it would be good to have them listed here.
          I will add a list given to me by Othmar Andrיe-it has also many very