Personal introductions

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 23, 2006

      I am very gratified by the prompt response of many of you to the request
      for personal introductions. One of you offered to collect all the
      introductions, print them out and bring them to Czernowitz. By mistake,
      I must have deleted the pertinent Email, so now I do not know who it was.

      It would be very helpful if one ore more of you did collect all the personal
      introductions, printed them and brought them with you to Czernowitz. Please,
      whoever is willing to do this, let us know and we will all be most grateful.

      To everyone who still has to send their personal introduction, please write
      Cz. Personal introduction as the title of your Email and send it to the
      czernowitz2006 yahoo group.

      Best regards ,

      Mimi
    • Salo and Ruth
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 26, 2006
        My name is Salo Sherer formerly Scherer. Born in Czernowitz in 1930. I lived at Mircea Voda Laterale # 4. I had a wonderful life until 1941. I was deported to Transnictria in a forsaken place, Jurin. My father died there. I was introduced to Zionism in the ghetto. In 1944 my friends who returned from Transnictria formed a Zionist group, we left in 1946 from Czernowitz to Romania, joined the Hahschara. We were indoctrinated to the Hagana and after a long journey, crossing illegally from border to border, ended up in Cyprus with the Alia B. Then joined the I D F. My aunt in America, who was childless convinced me to join her in Arizona. I now live in California. I remember leaving Czernowitz with a heavy heart, but will never forget the autrocities committed by localities and compatriots. Due to my knowlege of German, Russian, Romanian, Hebrew and English helped me and others to go through this long journey. Sorry I cannot join you.

      • Andermann, Lisa Dr.
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 26, 2006
          Personal Introduction from Frederick Andermann:

          I was born in Czernowitz in 1930, the son of Adolf Andermann and Anny
          Hubner.
          My father was originally from Suceava, and his family had come from Galicia.
          I attended the Elite School with Dr. Wihneanu as principal.
          Berthold Glaubach was my friend and classmate.
          I lived on Karolinengasse 5 between the Temple and the Mehlplatz.
          My late father was a co-owner of the Fabrica Soare factory which
          manufactured pocket knives and other articles, but there was no obvious
          relationship with the Deutsch and Andermann Hardware Store in Czernowitz
          (Deutsch is my wife Eva's maiden name, her mother came from nearby
          Jezierzany across the border in Poland).

          We were fortunate to leave Czernowitz at the time of the Russian takeover,
          first for Suceava and then to Bucarest.

          After a year in Paris, we settled in Montreal where I attended medical
          school and specialized in Neurology.

          My late mother was president of the Bukovina Ladies Auxiliary of the
          Bukovina Society in Montreal.
          I have maintained close contact with my friends and colleagues, the late Dr.
          Emil Berger and Dr. Otto Appenzeller,
          also from Czernowitz.

          With our daughters Lisa and Annie, my wife and I visited Czernowitz in 1997
          under the auspices of the Project Osvita funded by the Canadian Government
          to improve pediatric neurological care following the Chernobyl disaster.

          One of my current projects is to write about my mother's efforts to bring
          about the repatriation of several thousand Transnistria orphans with her
          friends, Fini Bibring and Betty Schwelberg.

          I have followed with interest the historical and literary publications about
          Czernowitz and its communities, as well as movies of Volker Koepp ("Herr
          Zwilling and Frau Zuckermann" and "This Year in Czernowitz") and work of
          Aharon Appelfeld.

          I am fluent in German, Romanian, French and Yiddish, and my son-in-law
          Michael is fluent in Ukrainian.

          I am looking forward to the trip in May together with wife Eva, my son Mark
          and his wife Maria, and my daughter Lisa and her husband Michael. My
          daughter Annie will be studying for her final exams in residency and not
          able to join us this time.

          My e-mail is: andermannf@...
        • alon
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2006
            Sorry for not having written earlier - We were renovating foro almost 2
            weeks now our flat and had no internet connection.

            My name is Danny Alon and I will be attending the reunion with my father ,
            David. I am 33 years old, married + 2 children. I am a practicing physician
            (studied in Jerusalem). I was born in Israel and we live in Kefar Sava. All
            of my grandparents were born in Bukovina - 3 of them in Cz (Mosche
            Ellenbogen, Paula Heitner and Oskar Rosenstock) and one in Sereth (Klara
            Rosenthal).
            My interest in Cz started long ago - in its unique cultural landscape and
            its social, religious and linguistic diversity. I used to hear lots of
            German as a child who spent many wonderful hours at his grandparents,
            listening to fascinating stories regarding both the old hometown, the
            deportations to Transnistria, the Aliya and the first years in Israel as
            well as in the detention camps in Cyprus. I later learnd the language
            professionally. Finding the Internet group and the planned reunion was a
            true celebration.
            I speak Hebrew, English and German. I do understand Yiddish quite well.
            My father is an insurance agent and is 58 years old. My parents were both
            born in British detention camps - at Atlit and in Cyprus. They live in
            Petach - Tikva. My father's interest in Cz and in the journey has arisen
            through mine. He is now very enthusiastic and is looking forward to seeing
            the city, its surroundings and the jewish graveyard. He speaks Hebrew,
            English, some German and good Yiddish. Upon reaching 18, he decided to
            change his name from Ellenbogen to Alon in order to make it sound more
            hebrew - according to the trend those days. We are all Alons ever since.

            Looking forward to meeting you all,
            Danny