RE: [czernowitz2006] Reunion shtetl visits and Transnistria trip

  • Andermann, Lisa Dr.
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 12, 2006
      Dear Simon,

      Here is the information about the villages the Andermanns would like to
      visit. It seems like I will stay for the whole week, and
      return with my family to Lviv on the 25th. I was trying to return earlier
      to Toronto for a conference, but it seems like I would miss too much of the
      reunion and it would be difficult to have this family trip at any other
      time...

      Again, we are 6 people.

      We would definately like to see:

      (Places 1-6 are all possible in the same day and are very close together)

      1) Khotyn (Chotin)

      2) BORSHCHIV is the Ukrainian name. Polish name (as well as Austrian place
      name): Borszczow. Russian name: Borshchev.
      It is small town in WESTERN UKRAINE, which numbers about 12.000 people.
      Located in southern part of Ternopil region, in south eastern part historic
      area Halychyna (Galizien, Galicia, Galizia, Galicja) which was part of
      Austria (1772 - 1918), Poland (1920 - 1939), Soviet Union (1939 - 1991).
      Nowadays it is district center in Ternopilska oblast of Western Ukraine.

      3) BABYNTSI (Babince, Babintsy) - village 18 km south of Borshchiv.

      4) MELNYTSYA PODILSKA (Mielnica Podolska, Mlyn Podolski, Melnitsa
      Podolskaya) -
      small town on river Dniester. 32 km straight south from Borshchiv.

      5) Dzwiniaczka- small village very near Babyntsi

      6) Jezierzany (Also called Jezersany, Ozieran, Yezerzhany, Yezezhany,
      Yezierne, Yezyerzany)
      Administrative District: Borszczów
      7.3 miles NW of Borshchiv (Borszczów)

      On other days, we would like to see:

      7) Kolomyya (Kolomea)

      and

      8) Sniatyn is a border town nestled on the banks of the Prut River--close to
      the Romanian border, and historically was a trade crossing to Romania. It is
      about 170 miles SSE of Lvov-- between Kolomyja in the West and Chernovits in
      the East.

      9) BUCZACZ (Buchach) - 33.3 miles SSW of Tarnopol

      10) Optional: Last of all, do you know if anyone is travelling to Suceava or
      Seret (Siret) in Romania? Would it be very difficult to cross the border by
      car?

      Thank you again for all your help.

      Lisa