SHTETL TRIPS NEAR Cz - CONFIRM NOW

  • Simon Kreindler
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 4, 2006
      Dear Czernowitzers:

      On January 20th, I sent an e mail to the Yahoo group, asking each of you
      to confirm you were planning to attend the Reunion and to indicate if
      your spouse or other member(s) of your family were coming with you.

      I also asked you to give me more specific information about the shtetls
      you had earlier expressed an interest in visiting (including the names
      in current-day Ukraine and details of where they were located relative
      to Czernowitz - north, south, east or west) and how far they were from
      Czernowitz.

      Only a samll number of the group replied. This is causing several problems:

      1. I don't know how many of you actually intend to visit these shtetl so
      I don't know how many minivans or buses we need to hire and
      2. I don't know how many guides or drivers we will need.

      In addition,

      3. Although I can identify many of the towns you are interested in,
      there are many I cannot find on my maps. This may be because some towns
      are no longer shown on the maps I have or sometimes because there is
      more than one town with the same or similar names. One example is
      Banila. There is a town by this name west of Cz and another one
      southwest. I don't know which is the right one and I cannot proceed
      without your help. If we are to try and get you to the right shtetl, you
      need to act now.

      Unless I receive more explicit information from you, I will assume you
      are no longer planning to participate in the Reunion, or no longer
      interested in visiting the shtetls you originally mentioned or you
      cannot identify them any more accurately than I can. If any of these
      apply, I will have no other option but to drop your shtetl name(s) from
      the list.

      I realize this may be very disappointing for some of you but I hope you
      appreciate that I have no choice but to move ahead with the
      arrangements, as best I can.

      Once the itineraries are arranged I will post them to the Yahoo group.
      You can then select which trips you want. When I know how many
      participants will be taking each trip I will be able to tell you the
      approximate cost per person. Please keep in mind that it will be
      necessary to pay for all trips, in advance.

      Since I will be travelling between February 26th and April 10th, I need
      you to reply to this e mail by February 20th so that I can give our
      guides the information they need to set the itineraries. Please also
      remember I need to know how many of you will be coming on these trips
      (for example, you alone or you and your spouse, you and a child, you and
      a friend, etc.).

      The provisional list of shtetls / towns I plan to give the guides can be
      seen below. There is still time to include other names if you give me
      the information I need to locate them by February 20th.

      The numbers following the names of the towns are map coordinates
      (latitude and longditude, wherever known) which will help the guides. If
      you can provide coordinates for your towns that would be helpful. If you
      cannot, don't worry. Just tell me where the town(s) is/are located
      relative to Cz.

      If I have made mistakes with any of the shtetl names, approximate
      distances from or directions relative to Cz, please let me know.

      The guides will ultimately decide what combination of shtetls / towns
      can be included in any one trip. How many towns we can see in half a day
      will depend on distances, road conditions, etc. Obviously, we will need
      time in each town to look around, talk to local inhabitants, hopefully
      visit ancestral homes, cemeteries, synagogues or remains thereof, etc.

      The following list include towns I think I have been able to identify.
      However, I may have made errors and it is in your interest to be sure
      that the locations are approximately where you think they should be.
      Some shtetls/ towns are considerably further awayfrom Cz than others.
      Some of them may a problem to visit in half a day (although I could be
      wrong). The guides will ultimately decide what is realistic.

      Sadagora
      Zastavna
      Zaleshchiki (about 15 km N of Zastavna)
      Pogorelovka 48 33’ 25 58’ (30 km N of Chernivisti)
      Oleyevo-Korolevka 48 44’ 25 59’ (30 km N of Chernivisti)
      Ocna / Vikno 48 34’ 25 58’ (30 km N of Chernivisti)
      Ilintse 48 26’ 25 17 (50 km WNW of Chernivisti)’
      Kamennaya 48 14’ 25 51’ (10 km SW of Chernivisti)
      Zablotiv (50 km NW of Chernivisti
      Illintse (next to Zablotiv)
      Nowosiletz (about 25 km SE of Chernivisti
      Berehomet (about 50 km SW of Chernivisti)
      Storojinetz (about 50 km SW of Chernivisti)
      Chotin/Khotin (about 40 km NE of Chernivisti)
      Vaskivci/Washkowzy (about 40 km NW of Chernivisti)
      Czeczina/Zezina (about 6 km W of Chernivisti)
      Tovtse (about 70 km NNW of Chernivisti)
      Kamenets-Podolsky (about 85 km NE of Chernivisti)
      Buchach (about 90 km NNW of Chernivisti)
      Solotvina 48 42’ 24 25’ (about 120 km WNW of Chernivisti)
      Nadworna (about 90 km NW of Chernivisti)
      Dolgopol’ye 48 04’ 24 59’ (about 75 km WSW of Chernivisti)
      Putila (about 75 km SW of Chernivisti)
      Wisnitz (about 90 km WSW of Chernivisti)
      Kuty (about 100 km WSW of Chernivisti)
      Kolomea (about 70 km NW of Chernivisti)

      If your shtetl(s) are not included in this list, it is because I could
      not identify them. If any of these shtetls are "yours" but they do not
      seem to be where you think they should be relative to Czernowitz /
      Chernivisti, please let me know.

      One final request, even though this is a long e mail, I would really
      appreciate it if someone would volunteer to translate it into Hebrew
      and/or German for the benefit of those among us who are not fluent in
      English. If you are willing to do this, please post it to the Yahoo
      group as soon as possible.

      Thank you for your help and I look forward to hearing from you.

      Best regards,

      Simon
    • elhod
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 6, 2006
        Dear Simon,

        This is to reconfirm our wish to visit (my husband Alfred Terris and Yehudit
        Yerushalmi-Terris) Transnistria - Moghilev, Shargorod and Zastawna (added).
        These are the finals. Thank you for being patient and your effords.

        Regards,

        Yehudit