LOOKING FOR: Yakov "Cohen" / "Soifer", Cernivici - Dorohoi - Israel

  • Ofer Cohen
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2006
      Shalom!

      We are looking for information about Yakov "Cohen" from Cernivici
      (Tschernowitz, Chernivitsi), Bukovina (now Ukraine); and for
      Nechama – Rachel, nee Eisenthal (Aisenthal) from Dorohoi, Romania.

      Yakov was born in 1864 and had been living in Cernivici. He was a
      Cohen (we don't know if this is his "real" family name). Yakov's
      father was Yehudah. Yakov's brother was Shraga-Feiwel. Yakov was
      practiced as a Tora scribe (SOFER STAM). His nickname was "Yankele
      Soifer". Yakov had married and after ten years with no children he
      divorced and got marriage again with Nechama-Rachel from Dorohoi.
      THIS IS THE ONLY INFORMATION WE HAVE!

      Nechama-Rachel (nee Eisenthal) was born in Dorohoi, Romania in about
      1875. Nechama's father was Asher-Anshel, and her mother was a
      midwife. Nechama's brother was Michael-Mechel. She got marriage with
      Yakov, and when became pregnant they immigrated to Eretz-Israel.
      Nechama's mother, the midwife, followed her daughter and son-in-low
      to Eretz-Israel. The three had arrived to the Hauran (the new Jewish
      settlements) in 1896 and later settled in the Upper Galilee (Rosh-
      Pinna). Since then the family is has been living in Israel.

      We don't have any additional information for the family ancestors in
      Romania or in Bukovina. We found connections with some Eisenthal
      families from Dorohoi, had immigrated to Israel after WW2, but
      couldn't find any real evidences for Yakov and Nechama. For Yakov's
      origin, it is very difficult to solve the mystery, as we don't know
      even his real family name!

      If any of the above names or "story" rings a bell for you, please
      let us know! We will appreciate any additional advice or
      information, which will lead to the above persons in Cernovici or
      Dorohoi.

      Many thanks in advance,

      Meir Cohen. Petach-Tikva, Israel.