ATM machines in Chernivtsi

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 22, 2006

      When I last was in Chernivtsi in the summer of 2003,
      I could use neither credit cards or ATM machines.
      Bruce Wexler has been there more recently and so I asked him
      What the situation was when he was there, this is his answer:

      We were able to use our ATM cards at ATM's around town. There was one right
      outside our hotel. However, I don't believe we were able to use credit
      cards.
      AS far as the ATM's, I would suggest anyone going to the reunion call their
      bank, and ask specifically whether their ATM card is accepted in Ukraine.
      There was a five dollar fee imposed by my bank for each transaction.

      Personally I do not know what is worse, walking around with lots of money in
      your pocket, or withdrawing money from an ATM machine in full view of anyone
      who cares to look. I am writing not from recent bad experience, just what I
      was taught a long time ago.

      Mimi
    • David Glynn
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 22, 2006
        A question - whether or not one can use credit cards, or obtain money from
        ATMs, is it not possible to change money at the hotel? When I stayed in
        Moscow a few years ago, I stayed in a vast 1960s monolith of a hotel, which
        hadn't yet been modernised either as regards the buildings or the service
        provided. But they did have a "bureau de change" window in Reception, and
        would change pounds/euros/dollars/travellers cheques into roubles. I know
        Chernivtsi is not Moscow, but both hotels would probably have been run by
        Intourist originally, and I would be a little surprised if there were no
        currency exchange facility.

        David

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 23, 2006

          > A question - whether or not one can use credit cards, or obtain money from
          > ATMs, is it not possible to change money at the hotel? When I stayed in
          > Moscow a few years ago, I stayed in a vast 1960s monolith of a hotel, which
          > hadn't yet been modernised either as regards the buildings or the service
          > provided. But they did have a "bureau de change" window in Reception, and
          > would change pounds/euros/dollars/travellers cheques into roubles. I know
          > Chernivtsi is not Moscow, but both hotels would probably have been run by
          > Intourist originally, and I would be a little surprised if there were no
          > currency exchange facility.
          >
          > David

          David and all reunion participants,

          On my two previous visits to Chernivtsi, I changed money at the Cheremosh.
          They did not accept travelers checks, only new Dollar bills, but the rate
          was correct and as far as I remember they charged no commission. At one
          point our driver suggested that we may get a better rate on the black
          market, but when I talked to the dealer, he was not going to give me a
          better rate, so I decided to be law abiding and safe, which certainly was
          a far wiser decision.

          Next time I write to the Cheremosh, I'll inquire about this too.
          Mimi
        • Jerry Lapides
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 23, 2006
            Just to add to your concern. When I visited Czernivitsi in 1996 with my
            family The Cheramosh Hotel refused to accept US dollars that had a mark on
            them or were old and crumpled. Luckily one of my cousins had dollars that
            were spanking new that were accepted.
            I hope 10 years "matured" the hotel staff.

            Jerry Lapides, Ph.D.