Reunion video

  • Simon Kreindler
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 21, 2006
      Dear Czernowitzers:

      As you may recall, some months back there was some discussion about my
      suggestion that we try to make a video of the Reunion. Unfortunately,
      those who had the expertise were not going to be making the trip or
      didn't believe it could be done adequately without an elaborate setup,
      etc. Mimi approached one of her contacts when she was in Israel but the
      individual was not available.

      In an e mail to the Group on January 18, one of our new members Cora
      Schwartz, offered to make a video of the Reunion. I contacted her
      privately and said:

      "Personally, I feel this event is quite unique and it would be a great
      pity not to document the events of May 18-25. I see it as important not
      just for those who may want a memento of the trip but for our children
      and grandchilren who cannot participate and for the broader Jewish
      community in our home towns all over the world so that they can learn
      more about this special place."

      Cora responded:
      "I am appreciative that you see the importance of this event with regard
      to documenting this reunion. I have always been interested in the
      concept of "Coming Home Again" as I hope you read in my original email
      to the group. Yes, it would be a pity to let this opportunity go; in my
      mind, we would be "memorializing" the reunion for the grandchildren more
      than anything. I know that no matter how "crazy" my grandchildren are
      with their computers and sports, and girlfriends, when Rudy started to
      talk about his childhood and his home in Czernowitz, the grandchildren
      froze. I am adding the next paragraph which I just pasted from an email
      I sent a friend in Poland. It will save time to add it here:

      I am personally interested int he concept of 'Coming Home' so I am
      thrilled to be able to be with them. No matter how successful and
      comfortable Rudy was in New York, he lived for the next trip to
      Czernowitz (I spell it this way because this is the way the group is
      spelling it) So anyhow, he lived for the next trip and when it was over,
      as soon as we touched the ground, he started planning the next trip. I
      work with many immigrants here in New York, and although they are
      grateful and doing well here, they also work and strive toward their
      next trip home. We all know the important concept of home but I am
      thinking that this group in particular will offer a new slant on the
      topic. I am presenting to them the possibility of "memorializing" their
      trip for their children and grandchildren.....

      .....I envision interview, recording comments along the trip, and
      ofcourse the video/stills as well. I have a fine editor here in New
      York so my technique is to shoot like crazy and edit when I get home.
      You can always take out but not always put in.
      I am presently taking a course on Documentary Photography to fine tune
      my skills. Interestingly enough the course ends the week before the
      reunion! I just want to note here that the costs involved in this
      project will be completely covered by me, as I am using this opportunity
      to honor Rudy's life, and love for Czernowitz. Please feel free to
      share part or all of this email with the group."

      I replied:

      "As far as the video is concerned, I appreciate your wanting to make it
      to "honor Rudy's life" but hope you will be open to feedback from the
      Reunion group. Obviously, you will need the permission of those
      participants you want to film and/or interview and it will be important
      to take the views and ideas of the rest of the Group into account if the
      undertaking is to be successful.

      Once I post your message to the Group, I suspect we will get some feedback."

      Looking forward to your feedback.

      Regards,

      Simon
    • Marianne Hirsch
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 21, 2006
        Dear Simon and Cora, this is wonderful. As I mentioned in previous
        emails, Leo and I also plan, with participants' permission, to
        videotape the trip and interview participants for our own project and
        record. We are not prepared to produce a video for the group but can
        certainly share our images and tapes with Cora for use in her
        compilation.

        Cora, perhaps we can meet in Ny before our trip and discuss these
        plans,

        all best, Marianne
        Marianne Hirsch
        Professor of English and Comparative Literature
        Institute for Research on Women and Gender
        602 Philosophy Hall
        Columbia University
        New York, NY 10027
        (212) 854-5121

        http://www.columbia.edu/~mh2349

      • cornel fleming
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 22, 2006
          hi,, i am not sure if it was you or someone else who mentioned taking along small change dollar bills , but it is worth noting that the big hotels have machines in the lobby that take credit cards and issue the local currency ie hryvna. cornel

          privately and said:

[...]

          Genealogy family tree Family home