response to emails from Arthur Rindner and Helmut Kusdat,

  • MyRetreat2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 20, 2006
      Dear Arthur, Helmut and everyone else!
      I have traveled to Czernowitz many times and by many means of transporation.
      I think that how to get there depends mostly on a few personal factors: am
      I looking to save money? Do I want to spend most of the trip in a plane? Do
      I want to land in Bucharest (which is what I am doing this time) and catch
      the next train to Cernowitz? I find the train relaxing and I love to watch
      the little villages go by outside my window. So when you say you want to know
      "the best way" I think you need to be more specific.

      I might add that I don't like landing in Lvov; a year and a half ago it was
      chaotic to say the least. There is a very poor system there. This may have
      changed but I was asked to fill out a form that was written in
      Ukrainian//Russian as they were out of forms in English. The drive (car or mini bus) from
      Lvov to Cernowitz is fine to me; again I love passing through the villages
      and getting stuck behind a horse and wagon on the way to a farm.

      So you see, it's all about persnal preferences. Please write back
      Sincerely
      Cora

      Dear All,
      I have requested from Mr. Kusdat if he knows a better way to Czernowitz
      other then AUA from Vienna to Lvov.
      He is a frequent traveler to the city.

      Below is his response.

      Shabat Shalom
      Arthur Rindner

      From: "Arthur von Czernowitz"
      To: kusdat@...
      Subject: CZ
      Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 22:10:47 +0200

      Dear Mr. Kusdat,
      According to your e-mails it looks like you have visited Czernowitz
      several times.
      Is there another way to Czernowitz other then AUA from Vienna to Lvov?

      Best regards
      Arthur Rindner

      Cora T. Schwartz
      MY RETREAT
      and
      VOICES FROM MY RETREAT
      _www.myretreat.net_ (http://www.myretreat.net/)
      845-436-7455
      P.O. Box 1077
      South Fallsburg, NY 12779

    • jfa2000@mymailstation.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 21, 2006
        Hello, all ---

        As colorful personal responses come forward re travel options, road conditions, hotel conditions, etc., I am vividly reminded of the movie "Everything is Illuminated". This film is a bit quirky, but then it is based on a rather unique novel by Jonathan Safran Foer, with the same title. The movie just came out several months ago, and it has to do with a young Jewish fellow from New York who goes to Ukraine to search for his roots. There is more depth to the characters, more history behind their experiences, than is evident at first. Even having read the book first, I found the movie worthwhile - painfully, movingly so. I suspect that those of you who have lived and/or already traveled to Ukraine will find much with which to identify -- and much at which to laugh, and cry. I am looking forward to finding out for myself just how much is fiction and how much is life as it really is there.

        But I can't help wondering: how likely are we to find ourselves with the likes of his driver, translator and car on our travels to and around Czernowitz and its nearby shtetls ??? :-) [Note: I don't for a minute expect, as in the film, to discover that our driver is blind!]

        More seriously, though -- are taxi and minibus resources already known and "vetted" for safe drivers and well-kept machinery by anyone in our group?

        Jessie Attiyeh

        >I have traveled to Czernowitz many times and by many means of transporation.
        > I think that how to get there depends mostly on a few personal factors: am
        >I looking to save money? Do I want to spend most of the trip in a plane? Do
        >I want to land in Bucharest (which is what I am doing this time) and catch
        >the next train to Cernowitz? I find the train relaxing and I love to watch
        >the little villages go by outside my window. So when you say you want to know
        >"the best way" I think you need to be more specific.
        >
        >I might add that I don't like landing in Lvov; a year and a half ago it was
        >chaotic to say the least. There is a very poor system there. This may have
        >changed but I was asked to fill out a form that was written in
        >Ukrainian//Russian as they were out of forms in English. The drive (car or mini bus) from
        >Lvov to Cernowitz is fine to me; again I love passing through the villages
        >and getting stuck behind a horse and wagon on the way to a farm.
        >
        >So you see, it's all about persnal preferences. Please write back
        >Sincerely
        >Cora
        >

        >Dear All,
        >I have requested from Mr. Kusdat if he knows a better way to Czernowitz
        >other then AUA from Vienna to Lvov.
        >He is a frequent traveler to the city.
        >
        >Below is his response.
        >
        >Shabat Shalom
        >Arthur Rindner

      • Simon Kreindler
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 22, 2006
          jfa2000@... wrote:

          >Hello, all ---
          >
          >As colorful personal responses come forward re travel options, road conditions, hotel conditions, etc., I am vividly reminded of the movie "Everything is Illuminated". This film is a bit quirky, but then it is based on a rather unique novel by Jonathan Safran Foer, with the same title. The movie just came out several months ago, and it has to do with a young Jewish fellow from New York who goes to Ukraine to search for his roots. There is more depth to the characters, more history behind their experiences, than is evident at first. Even having read the book first, I found the movie worthwhile - painfully, movingly so. I suspect that those of you who have lived and/or already traveled to Ukraine will find much with which to identify -- and much at which to laugh, and cry. I am looking forward to finding out for myself just how much is fiction and how much is life as it really is there.
          >
          >But I can't help wondering: how likely are we to find ourselves with the likes of his driver, translator and car on our travels to and around Czernowitz and its nearby shtetls ??? :-) [Note: I don't for a minute expect, as in the film, to discover that our driver is blind!]
          >
          >More seriously, though -- are taxi and minibus resources already known and "vetted" for safe drivers and well-kept machinery by anyone in our group?
          >
          >Jessie Attiyeh

          Dear Jessie and other Reunion participants:

          I too can strongly recommend the movie "Everything is Illuminated."

          As the person responsible for organizing the day trips and trip to
          Transnistria, you should know that our guides will (hopefully) be making
          arrangements for drivers and vehicles. Since our guides all come highly
          recommended I am hoping they will make arrangements only with sober,
          sighted drivers who have good hearing, and all four limbs. (i.e. not one
          of the "Illuminated" drivers)!

          As to the mechanical condition of the vehicles, I think it is in the
          interest of both guides and drivers that this not be a problem since
          they will not get paid if we can't travel.

          All the best,

          Simon
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 22, 2006

            > Hello, all ---
            >
            > As colorful personal responses come forward re travel options, road
            > conditions, hotel conditions, etc., I am vividly reminded of the movie
            > "Everything is Illuminated". This film is a bit quirky, but then it is based
            > on a rather unique novel by Jonathan Safran Foer, with the same title. The
            > movie just came out several months ago, and it has to do with a young Jewish
            > fellow from New York who goes to Ukraine to search for his roots. There is
            > more depth to the characters, more history behind their experiences, than is
            > evident at first. Even having read the book first, I found the movie
            > worthwhile - painfully, movingly so. I suspect that those of you who have
            > lived and/or already traveled to Ukraine will find much with which to identify
            > -- and much at which to laugh, and cry. I am looking forward to finding out
            > for myself just how much is fiction and how much is life as it really is
            > there.
            >
            > But I can't help wondering: how likely are we to find ourselves with the
            > likes of his driver, translator and car on our travels to and around
            > Czernowitz and its nearby shtetls ??? :-) [Note: I don't for a minute expect,
            > as in the film, to discover that our driver is blind!]
            >
            > More seriously, though -- are taxi and minibus resources already known and
            > "vetted" for safe drivers and well-kept machinery by anyone in our group?
            >
            > Jessie Attiyeh

            Dear Jessie,

            I have neither seen the movie nor read the book, will look for it now,
            but I have been to Czernowitz twice and have had absolutely no problems
            with the drivers (two different ones), nor the cars. True, one of the
            drivers had a car which was so old that the springs of the seat were
            completely gone, but people in poor countries take good care of their
            machinery, they cannot easily afford to replace them. Two or three other
            people from our Cz. List have been to Chernivtsi in the last two years
            and no one has mentioned any problems with cars or drivers. The drivers and
            guides Simon Kreindler has contacted, were all recommended by people from
            within our group.

            Best regards, see you in Czernowitz,

            Mimi
          • jfa2000@mymailstation.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 22, 2006
              Thanks, Mimi -- it's good to know, especially with the several-hour drive from Lviv, and the possible day-trips out of Czernowitz.

              Hope to see you in Czernowitz, and I hope my husband and I are also still on the list for a double room at the Cheremosh.

              Jessie