Cz Reunion day trips & Transnistria update

  • Simon Kreindler
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 8, 2006
      January 7, 2006

      Dear Reunion Participants:

      As some of you may know, I have been working with Mimi on organizing Day
      Trips to shtetls near Czernowitz and a trip to Transnistria. I am
      writing to update you on where things stand and to ask for some
      important additional information.

      Making these arrangements in Ukraine takes much more time than many of
      us are accustomed to so if this e-mail sounds slightly pressured, it is
      because much remains to be done in the coming four months. Therefore:

      1 Even if you have previously replied to Mimi’s survey, I would like you
      to confirm that you are planning to attend the Reunion and also if you
      are going to be accompanied by a spouse, friend, other family member,
      etc. This information is critical in order to plan the number of
      minivans or buses we require.

      2. As you know from the preliminary program, we are planning a GROUP
      WALKING TOUR OF THE CENTRE OF CZERNOWITZ on Friday AM, May 19th.

      3. However, we are also planning WALKS TO OTHER AREAS OF THE CITY (to
      see former homes, schools, businesses, places of interest, etc) on
      Saturday May 20th. To facilitate this, it has been suggested we set up a
      large map of the city at our social get together at the Chernomosh Hotel
      on Thursday evening May 18th. We can divide the map into three or four
      sections and have corresponding sign-up sheets for those interested in
      walking their chosen sections.

      4. I am looking for four volunteers, familiar with the city who would be
      willing to spend from 9 – 12:30 on Saturday leading the above walks.

      5. I have been in touch with a number of guides in Czernowitz who have
      agreed to work with us, setting up day trips. They are in the process of
      preparing itineraries based on the shtetl names you gave us earlier.
      However, some shtetl names could not be located by them or by me.
      Presumably, the names have a different Ukrainian spelling. I need the
      correct spelling and suggest you use MAPQUEST <www.mapquest.com> to
      check it and send it to me as soon as possible.

      Try entering the spelling of the shtetl name as you know it and see if
      it turns up the current spelling. Check the shtetl location on the
      Mapquest map (designated by a red star). If it is where you expected it
      to be, you are probably ok.

      6. In our earlier survey, only eight participants expressed a definite
      interest in visiting Transnistria. Eleven others were uncertain. I need
      a firm commitment as to who wants to go (including names of spouses,
      friends, children, etc. who will be accompanying you) as we must arrange
      the appropriate size bus or minivan(s).

      For those wanting to go to Transnistria, I also need you to check the
      correct spelling of the places you are interested in seeing (as
      explained in 5 above) and let me know.

      As indicated in earlier e-mails, visiting Transnistria will involve an
      overnight stay and will probably also require a visa to enter Moldova. I
      am hoping to have more information about this in the near future.

      Looking forward to hearing from you.

      Simon Kreindler
    • elhod@zahav.net.il
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 9, 2006
        Dear Mr Kreindler,

        I am answering to your request as following:

        My husband and miself wish to travel and join the group. The
        schedule is accepted by us. We would like to go to
        Transnistria - Mogilev and especially to Shargorod.
        A small problem occured we do not know which is the best way
        to get from Israel to Czernowitz.We will be in touch with
        people from here.

        Our full names are: Yehudit Yerushalmi-Terris & Alfred Terris

        If you need any other information please ask.

        Regards,

        Yehudit
        elhod@...