556MACH DICH KLEIN.doc

  • HARDY BREIER
    Apr 3 5:30 AM
      MACH DICH KLEIN.

      CZERNOWITZ HAD A BUS SERVICE JOINING IT TO ITS SUBURBS AND I REMEMBER USING IT VERY RARELY AS WE HAD NO DEALINGS OUT OF TOWN.
      I WAS THEN OVER 5 YEARS OLD AND NO LONGER ELLIGIBLE FOR FREE RIDES AND I REMEMBER THAT WHEN WE TOOK A BUS MY MOTHER USED TO TELL ME : " MACH DICH KLEIN " TO AVOID THE FARE .
      HOW OLD WAS I BY THEN ? I 'M NOT GOING TO TELL YOU SO YOU'LL
      NOT TELL AND GIVE ME AWAY TO THE CONDUCTOR!
      HOW DID I MAKE MYSELF " KLEIN " ? IF YOU BEND YOUR KNEES YOU ARE IMMEDIATELY ONE INCH SHORTER. I ALSO MADE A SAD FACE , THIS I BELIEVED ALSO MADE ME "KLEIN ".

      THEN CAME TIMES WHEN ALL OF US WISHED WE WERE " KLEIN"
      VERY "KLEIN" , THE SIZE OF A MOUSE SO WE COULD HIDE IN A MOUSE- HOLE , OF WHICH OUR TOWN HAD PLENTY.

      IN JANUARY 1942 WE GOT OUR POPOVICI PERMIT TO LEAVE THE GHETTO AND BY SOME MISTAKE MY NAME WAS OMITTED.
      THERE WAS NO TIME TO LOOSE AS MAYOR POPOVICI , WHO HELPED
      THE JEWS , WAS OUSTED AND REPLACED BY GENERAL CALOTESCU,
      AND ALL POPOVICI PERMITS WERE YO BE ANNULLED IN A DAY OR SO.
      SO WE PUT ALL OUR PROPERTY ON A CARRIAGE AND IN THE LAST BOX,
      HALF FULL WITH POTS AND PANS THERE WAS SOME SPACE LEFT.
      " IN YOU GO " SAID MOTHER .
      THE BOX WAS SMALL AND I WAS BIG AND TIME WAS PRESSING.
      MY MOTHER SAID : " MACH DICH KLEIN " .

      HARDY