The Dark Realm

  • Queen C
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2012
      Oh, what would you risk for the Dragon's Grogg?

      For a dragon's dog?
      For a dragon's cog?
      No, I said for the Dragon's Grogg!

      Oh well, for the Dragon's Grogg!

      I'd risk facing down a red-eyed demon frog!
      I'd risk travelin' in da deadly Elf Bog!
      I'd risk getting' stuck in the inside-out fog!

      All for the love of the Dragon's Grogg!

      Bales of laughter came roaring up from behind Ulrich the Humble's Traveling Fix-It Wagon, where his crew of builders and repair men, and woman, all sat drinking and singing while being pulled along by their stable horse, Brutus.

      After several long weeks on the road going from one hamlet to the next plying their trade as fix-it men, and woman, the crew finally was going home to Abajim.

      Ulrich glanced back over his shoulder at his crew: Pym Caster, master mason; Thatch Kilsyth, his number one bricklayer; Phis Pemberton, his number 2 bricklayer, Treet Chelle, the crew's carpenter; Cholas Chard, their resident roofer; Euless Soto, who was a master plumber; and Kikki Kiolbassa, the crew's lone female who was as good at making building paste as she was at spackling it in place.

      They had finished one of their longest tours ever and was eager to get back to their families in the seaport that they called home, as well as the headquarters of their traveling business.

      And while Ulrich had loved being back in Filadelfia, the last village where they had been contracted to fix a bell tower, he was missing his two wee ones, Ayle and Allas, as well as his wife, Lizella, who was quite swollen with their third child.

      But not just with Ulrich. They all had family and loved ones to return to. Like Lizella, Maizie, Thatch's wife was also due to bare their first babe soon. Phes' wife Pataskala, wasn't with child, but from his wild boasts of how much he missed her during the entire trip, Ulrich was sure she would be soon. Euless had yet to wed his woman, Cleve Sumrall, and while Pym was a widower, his son Oloh, had given him plenty of grandchildren to look forward to seeing again back at home.

      And of course, Kikki, though she would not admit to it, had been spending a lot of time with Pugliese Lager before she left for their six week-stint on the road. Ulrich was sure that Kikki was eager to get home to her man as the men were to return home to their loved ones.

      Though Pug Lager, Ulrich thought with a shake of his head, wasn't much of a man in Ulrich's estimations; the boy spent far too much time with his head stuck in a book, and not enough time with his lips around Kikki.

      "How `bout another round, Gents, and of course, you too Kikki," bellowed Ulrich in his thick, heavy voice.

      "Yay!" called out his crew.

      "Oh, what would you risk for the Dragon's Grogg?" Ulrich began singing.

      "For a dragon's dog? For a dragon's cog?" sang out the crew.

      "No, I said for the Dragon's Grogg!" replied Ulrich.

      "Oh well, for the Dragon's Grogg!" the crew sang and the ale song began again in new as Ulrich guided the wooden and metal-framed wagon on the Winding Path, circling the Dark Forest. Sure the Elf Pass was shorter, but not many would risk such a journey into the Dark Forest, which bordered the Dark Realm. Once upon a time the Dark Forest was simply called Elf Wood, and the Dark Realm was lovingly referred to as Muriel, the Kingdom of Light.

      But that was several generations ago, in the time of Ulrich's grandfather. No fool today that wasn't dark elf, Horde or Horde-kin, would dare risk such a chance by going into the either place of darkness.

      "All for the love of the Dragon's Grogg!" the crew all sang out together.

      "One more round," called out Phes, who began to sing the lead himself. The rest of the crew joined in, but Ulrich didn't this time.
      Movement out of the corner of his eye caught his attention. It was movement in the dark forest.

      "Oh well, for the Dragon's Grogg!" sang out the crew as Ulrich narrowed his eyes towards the forest, even as he turned the corner. There was a sign up ahead that read "20 Miles to Abijam."

      Ulrich had never been to relieved to be so close to home. For them in their horse-drawn wagon, at Brutus' current leisurely pace, 20 miles would be only a few more hours. But to be on the safe side, Ulrich the Humble thought, he flipped the reins and Brutus responded by going slightly faster.

      "Eh?" Phes said stopping his part of the chorus. He noticed the horse's new pace. "What gives, Ulrich? That eager for Lizella's chicken pot pies, or perhaps her firm, round body or her, ey?"

      Ulrich didn't respond to the teasing, though everyone else did with more laughter. Pouting from not getting a jeering from Ulrich, Phes opened his mouth to roast Ulrich a little more, but was stopped by Thatch's hand on his forearm. He gestured to Ulrich's line of sight – the Dark Forest, which seemed to be full of quiet stillness, much more so than they had ever noticed before.

      While the two men exchanged glances, the others, sensing some tension in the crew, fell back into softer speaking tones. But not all were as watchful as the three men.

      "Kikki, why don't you favor us with a sea ditty to lighten the mood again? Surely, your father taught you some?" asked Pym the widower from the back of the wagon. "Why I remember, Myron – that old coot – always had a song or something going on in his head."

      "True enough of my Da," Kikki said with a smile. She paused to think of one. "Hmm, what would you like?"

      "Oh anything," Pym said pulling out his old pipe. "I'll accompany.

      "Wonderful, how about…Oh I know!" Euless said. "My bonny sonny boy."
      Kikki smiled. She knew that one well. "Oh Husband, where does my bonny sonny boy go?" Kikki started to sing. "Where does he go this night?"

      "To see a girl in the land of Kalt, with eyes that shine so bright…" joined in Euless.

      A rustling in the Dark Forest that sent birds winging off their perch caught everyone's attention, including Kikki and Euless who paused their song. All eyes turned towards the Dark Forest and whatever lay in wait for them…

    • James Austin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2012
        This sounds interesting.....:-)

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 11, 2012
          Cyn - Are the characters in this sim supposed to be commoners embarking on an adventure (not so trained) or experienced adventurers? I have a few character concepts I'm mulling over.

          Heather

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 11, 2012
            Hey Heather,

            You can start your character off wherever you feel is right for him or her.

            Just email me your bio before you post it.

            Cyn