Weekly Discussion: Wonder Woman 2.0

  • Queen C
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2010
      Attention all obsessive comic fans! Set your mood dials to "outraged." Wonder Woman, one of the most popular superheroes of all time, is getting a new look.

      Even casual fans of the Amazon Princess can spot her famous threads a mile away. Blue shorts with white stars, a bold bustier, and bright red boots that make Superman's look downright tasteful. All that's about to change, though. Starting with this month's comic, Wonder Woman starts wearing pants.

      You can almost hear the fanboys screaming. But, according to a popular blog from CNN, there is a reason for the switch. Writer J. Michael Straczynski, who is taking over writing the comic, commented on a DC Comics blog post, "I wanted to toughen her up, and give her a modern sensibility." She's been saving the world for 69 years. If you ask us, it's only fair that she finally treat herself to some new threads.

      So, what are the specifics? The biggest news is that she'll lose the hot pants, and wear tight blue pants instead. The famous bracelets are still around, but, according to Straczynski, they'll be more colorful, "with a script W on each of them that form WW when she holds them side by side…and if you get hit by one of them, it leaves a W mark." As Straczynski puts it, "this is a Wonder Woman who signs her work."

      But it's not just Wonder Woman's appearance that's been changed. Her back story is different, too. The New York Times explains: "In the reimagining of her story, Wonder Woman, instead of growing up on Paradise Island with her mother, Queen Hippolyta, and her Amazon sisters, is smuggled out as a baby when unknown forces destroy her home and slaughter its inhabitants." Clearly, this is a darker version for a more dangerous world.

      Not surprisingly, the news of Wonder Woman's new look and history inspired huge searches on Yahoo!. Lookups for "wonder woman changes," "new wonder woman," and "wonder woman outfit" all roared to life. Others wanted to know more about Wonder Woman's alter ego. (FYI, she goes by the name Diana Price when she's not kicking criminal butt.)
    • Sam

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 2, 2010
            Okay, Wanting to update WW is okay by me. But radically changing her costume and background is just wrong! Long live the shorts, red boots and red boustier and the long flowing raven locks!

            Giving her different costumes might beokay but the primary one should always come back to the original.

            Just My Humble Opinion.

            Jymm