Re: [thinkingrelevantly] Re: engaging a Group mind

  • Natalie d'Arbeloff
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 5 12:52 PM
      Flemming wrote:
      > Words don't seem to be very good for converging.
      >
      > Pictures are much better at it. And feelings even better, I think.

      > A picture is again more embeddable or more compressible. We can make out a
      > picture from even a hint of it. A few well-placed lines might suggest a
      > full picture to us, which again might tell us volumes. And several pictures
      > can share the same space.

      Yes,yes, yes!!!

      A cartoon can often express complex ideas very simply and everyone 'gets'
      them instantly. A caricature can sometimes capture a person's character more
      accurately than pages and pages of analysis.
      Likewise in art: it's not necessarily the most technically accurate,
      painstakingly representational image that is remembered, but the one that
      distills the essence of a subject.

      > The solution to information overload is not to stay up longer hours
      > reading, but to develop ways of seeing much more of it at the same time in
      > the same space, and ways of experiencing meaning more directly.

      There's also the need to select only that information which is relevant to
      any particular theme that one is pursuing. This selection process is crucial
      to making any information one's own. And it has to be radical. We're
      constantly besieged with all kinds of information, much of which is verbal,
      and being seduced into thinking we need it. This saps our self-confidence,
      our creativity, makes us think we're missing something if we don't take it
      all in. I think it atrophies our innate ability to say 'No! Enough! I don't
      need this'. It makes us into information-gluttons, information-obese.

      > I'm thinking about how to condense something into the most compact package
      > that you can most easily take with you.

      This is a truly wonderful aim and one I wholeheartedly share.
      :)

      Natalie