London-New York-Chicago

  • Minciu Sodas
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 8, 2002
      Hi!
      Just want to give you a brief update.
      George, Algis and I have put up our new website at
      http://www2.ms.lt (it may or may not be visible, and some of the links
      aren't working yet). We'll be having it moved to http://www.ms.lt very
      soon. We welcome your comments, we've designed it to evolve, and to
      include your participation.
      I'm heading to Jerry's retreat, a private networking group of
      sorts, which will be held in New York. This will be a good opportunity
      for me to meet with people who might be interested in "making intuitive
      the network economy". I'll be devoting much energy to organize our
      working group ThinkingRelevantly@yahoogroups.com
      Personally, I'm also interested in the question of How might we
      invest in people? I think of the network economy as being one in which
      all work relationships are nonobligatory (voluntary to the extreme).
      I'm wondering how we might organize our own Rethinking Fund that would
      allow people to invest money in other people (in their growth) rather
      than in particular projects or products. This will be my main thrust in
      ThinkingPowerfully@yahoogroups.com (I would also like to support your
      initiatives).
      A major theme this half-year will be organizing a multilingual
      Minciu Sodas. We have active groups now in both English and Lithuanian.
      We've made good progress in organizing the Byelarussian/Russian
      community, and also the Spanish community (contacts in Ensenada,
      Mexico). I will spend a couple of extra days in London and then New
      York, and will base myself in Chicago, and these are all multilingual.
      I want to organize a Tamil discussion group (lead by George), and also
      Spanish and Chinese (these are languages I know a bit of), and keep
      working on the Russian community and looking for a broader participation
      in our English community (Black American, African, etc.) An Arabic
      community would be very cool, too. This is quite practical, because the
      strength of our laboratory is in the variety of people that we can hold
      together, certainly this can help us attract prospective programmers
      from around the world.
      If you know of people I might meet in London (January 15-16) or New
      York (January 21-22) or Chicago, please let me know. I imagine that
      I'll be in Chicago for about four months.
      Also, we had a great three-day meeting in Naujoji Akmene, twelve
      people from our lab, about seven guests including professor Vladimir
      Fedossenko from Belarus. We talked a lot about web design, the
      different programming levels involved (Apache, HTML, CGI, and we're
      using Python), and we're ready to learn more programming with Python.
      I've signed contracts with seasoned programmers Raimundas
      Vaitkevicius and Algis Cibulskis, they'll be organizing work on our
      website, and will be ready to work with me on contract work. Our focus
      will be designing vibrant websites to support Internet communities,
      especially human engineering. I'll try as much as possible to be
      selective, looking for work that is meaningful, is for current or
      prospective lab members, fosters our skills. I appreciate any leads you
      may have, we're certainly interested in working with or for lab
      members. We're also very interested that we might continue our work
      with Pete (and we're basically pursuing the direction that he's set us
      on).
      If you'd like an email address of the form You@... write to Algis
      at algis@... and give him the form of your address and your initial
      password. We'll be writing more about this.
      Thank you for your letters!
      Andrius

      Andrius Kulikauskas
      Direktorius
      Minciu Sodas
      http://www.ms.lt
      ms@...
      +370 (2) 60-67-38
      Vilnius, Lithuania
    • Natalie d'Arbeloff
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 8, 2002
        Andrius,

        One person I know that you might like to contact here (but he's outside
        London, about an hour by train, near Swindon) is the same person I mentioned
        to you and Peter recently:

        John Papworth
        Editor and founder of FOURTH WORLD REVIEW

        The Close
        26 High Street
        Purton
        Wiltshire SN5 4AE

        Tel: 01793 772214
        e-mail (but I don't think he often uses it) johnpapworth@...

        He's 80 years old but very active, down to earth, and a wonderful person.
        He's also a part-time Anglican minister. If you read his little magazine
        you'll see that his main theme is that BIGNESS (giantism) is the root of all
        problems. I can't summarize him. I've known him for many years but don't
        often see him. He moved out of London not so long ago, after his wife died.
        His grown-up children often visit him in the village where he now has a
        house. He's very involved in local things, very much a 'neighborhood'
        person.
        If you want to, you could try phoning him when you're in London, tell him
        you're a friend of mine. You might ask him to send you some copies of his
        magazine and to tell you about what he's doing and vice versa. If you have a
        chance, maybe you could go and visit him - he'd give you instructions on how
        to get there.

        I'm off to Paris so I won't be in touch until I get back, after the 18th.

        I wish you bon voyage, Godspeed and best of everything on your journey.
        Maybe see you on your return?
        Am shutting down my computer now until I get back.

        Natalie