Please consider proposed name changes

  • Minciu Sodas
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2001
      Hi!
      I'm going to be promoting our lab more, and I'd like to rename our working
      groups, as follows:

      Our Own Thoughts will become Powerful Thinking
      Our Own Actions will become Sensitive Thinking
      Our Own Stands will become Motivated Thinking
      Other Thoughts will become Simple Thinking
      Other Actions will become Concrete Thinking
      Other Stands will become Relevant Thinking

      The new names will be more obvious, I think, to newcomers (and perhaps veterans)
      as to how they relate to our mission of fostering "caring about thinking".
      I intend to make these changes soon, except perhaps in the face of your
      wrath, if any. I know that this will cause some inconvenience for those of
      us who use message filters, I apologize in advance.
      Yours,
      Andrius

      Andrius Kulikauskas
      Direktorius
      Minciu sodas
      http://www.ms.lt
      ms@...
      +370 (2) 60-67-38
      Vilnius, Lithuania

      http://www.omnitel.net
    • Marjorie Rosenfeld
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2001

        I'm not sure the below names will be any more clear than what you have now.  Wouldn't names like "Thinking about God," "Thinking about Software," etc. convey more clearly what the focus of each group is?

        Marjorie

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2001
          ANdiurs, waht do you think about terms
          LATERAL thinking
          POSITIVE thinking
          Zigmas

          > Hi!
          > I'm going to be promoting our lab more, and I'd like to rename our
          working
          > groups, as follows:
          >
          > Our Own Thoughts will become Powerful Thinking
          > Our Own Actions will become Sensitive Thinking
          > Our Own Stands will become Motivated Thinking
          > Other Thoughts will become Simple Thinking
          > Other Actions will become Concrete Thinking
          > Other Stands will become Relevant Thinking
          >
          > The new names will be more obvious, I think, to newcomers (and perhaps
          veterans)
          > as to how they relate to our mission of fostering "caring about thinking".
          > I intend to make these changes soon, except perhaps in the face of
          your
          > wrath, if any. I know that this will cause some inconvenience for those
          of
          > us who use message filters, I apologize in advance.
          > Yours,
          > Andrius
          >
          > Andrius Kulikauskas
          > Direktorius
          > Minciu sodas
          > http://www.ms.lt
          > ms@...
          > +370 (2) 60-67-38
          > Vilnius, Lithuania
          >
          > http://www.omnitel.net

        • Shannon J. Clark
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 2001
            Just a thought...

            Perhaps instead of modifying thinking - we should reverse it and call it:

            Thinking Simple
            Thinking Powerfully (?)
            Thinking Sensitively
            Thinking Motivated
            Thinking Concrete
            Thinking Relevant

            - This has a few advantages -

            one - all the groups will be listed together - since they would all be spelled similarly

            two - it makes the emphasis of our group clearer - on the Thinking

            three - Less of a misconception possible about "simple thinking" - thinking simple is I think a good phrase - probably a phrase that could (if it is not already) be a best-selling book...

            Shannon

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 3, 2001
              Daniel, Marjorie, Zigmas, Shannon,
              Thank you for your responses.
              Shannon, I like your suggestions. I'll use adverbs:

              Thinking Sensitively
              Thinking Powerfully
              Thinking Willfully (or Energetically or Motivatedly, Steve?)
              Thinking Concretely
              Thinking Simply
              Thinking Relevantly

              These are different kinds of working groups that I envision, and I want
              to be ready to invite more people. They are not based on what we think about,
              but rather, how we are thinking. That is, what kind of thinking are we fostering?

              Zigmas, if somebody was interested in "positive thinking" then I would
              probably suggest our working group for "thinking willfully" ("Harmony of Motivation").
              If they were interested in "lateral thinking" I'd probably recommend "thinking
              simply", in that lateral thinking is typically tangential, starting from scratch.

              "Thinking simply" is meant favorably, simplicity is a wonderful thing.

              I will make these changes in the next couple of days.
              Andrius

              Andrius Kulikauskas
              Direktorius
              Minciu Sodas