Re: Peer reviewed publishing / reputation-based systems

  • Andrius Kulikauskas
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2001
      Pete CC'd me a letter to Chris Peterson of the Foresite Institute,
      http://www.foresite.org, whom we visited this spring. I'm especially
      interested in the continuum that Pete describes. Right now I'm working
      with George Christian Jeyeraj here in Lithuania to develop a simple
      technology (Internet forms) for reviewing old letters, reminding
      ourselves of what tasks and endeavors they document. Pete describes a
      continuum of review on a scale of anonynimity, from "well-known experts"
      to "indeterminable social-forces".

      I'm curious how the various kinds of review relate to "raising
      awareness", "raising consciousness". For example, the system that I'm
      working on now will have us write comments regarding our old letters,
      but we won't concern ourselves with "who is the author of the comments"
      because this is a communal reflection so that would just be irrelevant,
      a distraction. Perhaps review helps make us aware, and anonymity keeps
      the reviewer from becoming a distraction. Whereas the authority of an
      expert is helpful when we don't want to be distracted by doubts, we can
      rely on authority. Can the authority of an expert increase our
      awareness?

      Andrius

      Andrius Kulikauskas
      Direktorius