Tools for Awareness

  • Andrius Kulikauskas
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 4, 2001
      Hi!

      We're having a lot of activity at OurOwnThoughts (it moves around the
      lab). What I'd like to consider here, at OtherStands, is what we need
      in order to build from the opinions, explorations, experiences we're
      accumulating. You may or may not help us build the tools, but we
      certainly value your thoughts on how or why we might use them.

      I'm very happy that, as a group, we're becoming more aware of "the value
      of our awareness". Natalie and Dan wrote here about what might we do
      next.

      Elsewhere, John has been catching up on old letters. We're reaching
      this point where we get more letters than we can focus on, so we become
      selective. That means that we're willing to focus on particular letters
      that are worth re-reading. Cass and I have been meeting weekly, and
      he's rereading old letters. We find, though, that we need to be able to
      summarize those letters, so that they stay with us.

      Here's one simple thing I'm going to do to help with that. I'm going to
      build a simple tool for pumping letters out of my email program
      (Netscape Communicator) and into a table of letters. Then, for example,
      you can have available all of the letters that we've ever written to
      Minciu Sodas.

      Not only can you read them, but you can add summaries, or categorize
      them. Then we can turn collections of letters into webpages, we can map
      out endeavors. We can consider how question chases question, and we can
      collect answers to questions.

      Technologically, I was originally thinking of doing this by importing to
      Microsoft Outlook and then using COM to transfer to a Microsoft Access
      database. However, I'm having trouble importing single folders into
      Outlook. Also, the Outlook object model is not very satisfactory, it
      doesn't give you any way of just accessing a single folder. You can't
      access it as a file, you have to access it through the Outlook
      application. I've also noticed that the Netscape folders are accesible
      as text files, and quite readable. So I'm going to simply write some
      scripts to pump those letters into an Access table. My technical
      questions are, using Python:
      Do there already exist scripts for carving up such letters? and where
      would I find them? Or do I just use the string module, the re module,
      and just write my own?

      Another tool that we need to build is one that would let us extract the
      answers from a questionnaire (such as Natalie's "What do I really care
      about?" or Raimundas' "Do you organize your thoughts?") I'd like to
      have a script that would dump the answers (and clean them up, removing
      extra spaces, etc.) into a table specifically for that questionnaire.
      Do such scripts already exist, in Python?

      Cass has agreed to be our Curator for our Tools for Thinking (Museum,
      Archive, Compilation (?)) so he'll need to be able to store answers to
      such questionnaires. He's going to organize our info at
      http://www.tools4thinking.com We have quite a lot already at
      http://www.ms.lt/ms/projects/structureuses/index.html and
      http://www.ms.lt/ms/projects/toolkinds/index.html and I have more but I
      need to automate the extraction.

      In general, what letters are worth rereading, or reusing? How might we
      build on them?
      Or - what new directions might we head in?

      Natalie, how was your trip?

      Yours,

      Andrius

      Andrius Kulikauskas
      Minciu Sodas
      http://www.ms.lt
      ms@...
      +1 (559) 735-0262
      in Visalia, California
      until July 12th, 2001
    • Shannon J. Clark
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 4, 2001
        Andrius,

        Before you go too far down this path - take a look at whether or not we
        might be better off working against the archive that is maintained by Yahoo!
        Groups - the whole history of the messages on our various groups is there -
        since it is on a webpage it should be manipulatable by any number of tools
        that exist to take content off of a webpage - what would be needed next is
        to take the mail archives, thread the messages, and then build around them a
        means of updating/commenting on the messages - something akin to what some
        of the various systems for leaving messages on web pages were supposed to be
        (Tribal Voice? Third Voice? a few others I think whose names escape me at
        the moment).

        This might be easier and more universal as a solution than using Access and
        COM objects etc.

        Shannon

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 4, 2001
          You have proposed three great services for members:
          A summary of what I would call 'useful-for-reference' letters
          An inventory of communal knowledge on tools-to-help-thinking
          Consolidator-of-survey-results
          I think that each would improve the focus and save the time of many members.
          They will also increase the value of membership and help identify possible
          areas for contribution by our less frequent participants. I have set aside
          many items that I got in response to my query regarding tools. I will be
          pleased to pass them over to Cass for review when he is ready.

          John

> [...]
          > about?" or Raimundas' "Do you organize your thoughts?") I'd like to
          > have a script that would dump the answers (and clean them up, removing
          > extra spaces, etc.) into a table specifically for that questionnaire.
          > Do such scripts already exist, in Python?
          >
          > Cass has agreed to be our Curator for our Tools for Thinking (Museum,
          > Archive, Compilation (?)) so he'll need to be able to store answers to
          > such questionnaires. He's going to organize our info at
          > http://www.tools4thinking.com We have quite a lot already at
          > http://www.ms.lt/ms/projects/structureuses/index.html and
          > http://www.ms.lt/ms/projects/toolkinds/index.html and I have more but I
          > need to automate the extraction.
          >
          > In general, what letters are worth rereading, or reusing? How might we
          > build on them?
          > Or - what new directions might we head in?

        • Natalie d'Arbeloff
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 5, 2001
            Hello Andrius and everyone,

            I'm back. The trip to Italy and the conference were excellent but at this
            moment , all this is fading into insignificance because my beloved little
            mother is dying and I am too sad to participate in any discussions or to
            think about thinking.

            At some moments in life, there is only a vast silence.

            I would ask those of you who pray to include Blanche, my beautiful mother,
            in your prayers. And those of you who don't pray, simply to send some good
            thoughts our way.

            Thank you for your frienship.

            All the best,

            Natalie
          • Marjorie Rosenfeld
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 5, 2001
              I'm so sorry, Natalie. If this is really Blanche's time to go, I hope that
              her passing will be peaceful and that God will grant comfort to all her
              family.

              Please don't answer this message. You have enough on your plate right now.

              Fondly,
              Marjorie

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 5, 2001
                Natalie,
                Good to hear from you, even with sad news.
                We're with you, thinking about you.
                I am so glad that your mother and father gave you life, and so much
                of it.
                I send my prayers to God, and my good thoughts to you and your
                mother and all of your family.
                Love,
                Andrius

                Marjorie Rosenfeld wrote:

                > I'm so sorry, Natalie. If this is really Blanche's time to go, I hope that
                > her passing will be peaceful and that God will grant comfort to all her
                > family.
                >
                > Please don't answer this message. You have enough on your plate right now.
                >
                > Fondly,
                > Marjorie
                > mailto:marjorierosenfeld@...

                > Hello Andrius and everyone,
                >
                > I'm back. The trip to Italy and the conference were excellent but at this
                > moment , all this is fading into insignificance because my beloved little
                > mother is dying and I am too sad to participate in any discussions or to
                > think about thinking.
                >
                > At some moments in life, there is only a vast silence.
                >
                > I would ask those of you who pray to include Blanche, my beautiful mother,
                > in your prayers. And those of you who don't pray, simply to send some good
                > thoughts our way.
                >
                > Thank you for your frienship.
                >
                > All the best,
                >
                > Natalie

              • Natalie d'Arbeloff
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 6, 2001
                  Thank you so much, Marjorie and Andrius, for your messages and comfort.

                  I'll be back in touch as soon as possible.

                  Love,

                  Natalie
                • Cass McNutt
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 15, 2001
                    John -- Excellent!

                    I'll be meeting w/Andrius today to begin setting up this investiation / collection, and have begun work on the site and structural ideas on how to manage that inventory.  I would love it if you could send some of those samples now rather than later, so I can begin to look at the patterns -- your observations / perspective is particularly valued by me, because I have a feeling you "key in" on different aspects of the tools that I do.  My goal is to make the collection useful to a pretty broad base of "enthusiasts."

                    Thanks-
                    Cass