Re: [cyfranogi] Re: Peace Currency - Extending the Concept...

  • John Rogers
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2008
      Thanks to Terry for your usual creative and enthusiastic response!

      Your response and this moment in time have convinced me to pursue this idea further.

      First, let me explain to anyone not familiar with 'community currency' how the idea works.
      We are all familiar with national currencies as the only medium of exchange for people to exchange value outside of a love, barter or gift economy. It is the tool which allows market economies and governments to function. Local community currencies allow a group of people in one street, estate, village, town, city or region (or a community on the internet) to create a mechanism for recording exchanges between themselves. There are different ways to issue them but the most important feature is that they cannot 'leak out' of the given community the way that national money does. So they continue to circulate as many times as required to do good work.
      The primary purpose of a community currency is often community building, with economic activity as a desirable side-effect, although it is possible to design one with primarily commercial benefits if that is required.

      How might a peace currency for the Pyramid of Peace work?

      Here is a very brief initial outline of some of the key features.

      1. The currency serves the needs of the participants. Collectively, participants of the Pyramid of Peace should go through a process of enquiry into its key long-term and short-term aims. Once these have been clarified, they form the main purpose of the currency. For instance, many people may say they want to have their peace-making activities acknowledged and rewarded by the Pyramid of Peace community. So we then agree that currency is only issued to reward certain types of activities and not others. This can be constantly reviewed as the system evolves.

      2. The currency takes account of the conditions in the operating environment: forces working both for and against. A PoP peace currency may begin with a particular group, for instance our peace-making brothers and sisters in Kenya. They would inform the designers of the currency system what particular local circumstances need to be taken into account for the currency to work effectively. Which people, organisations, money or other resources can be called upon to support or underwrite the peace currency? Which forces look hostile and how can we take account of them or persuade them to join us?

      3. The currency has a simple but robust governance structure. This involves working out where the power of decision-making and strategy should be. It involves thinking about a constitution and elections if those prove necessary.

      4. The currency has a sound management structure. This involves thinking about the key tasks in managing the currency day to day. It may be as simple as a well designed website and site manager or as complex as a whole team with different jobs.

      5. The currency mechanism has three functions:

      a standard of value - this could be tied to a national currency like the dollar, an hour of labour, a kilowatthour of energy or other standard that creates confidence in the value of the currency units

      a medium of exchange - this can be issued by 'mutual credit' when each member trades or issued by an authority such as the PoP governance structure or a mixture of the two

      a store of value - we decide whether we want the currency units to retain or lose value over time and choose the right mechanism to encourage this.

      This is the essence of an effective currency design methodology.

      So I invite anyone else who wishes to join Terry and myself in designing such a peace currency to make yourself known.
      I think a planning group of no more than ten people would be ideal, including at least one person from Africa and one from the Middle East. There will be a lot of issues to consider but the core proposal is simple: a currency to underwrite and promote peace-making and community building around the world. I propose that every hour of planning time devoted to this project is also remunerated in the new currency.

      Come and join us!

      Namaste

      John Rogers