Re: [cyfranogi] Open Source connectivity from macro to micro to macro

  • John Rogers
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2008
      I'd like to explore the implications for CC design and management of some of the quotes in Benoit's forwarded message below. In particular:
      >Don’t put too much stock in management and control when you are trying to achieve non-deterministic outcomes!

      >There is often a preoccupation with control and structure at the grave expense of emergence and >self-organization.

      >Value networks and VNA discussions inhabits the higher-order layers,
      above application, where rigid >control, textbook management and
      conventional architecture methods are fast becoming obsolete in favor
      > of visualization, interpretation and leadership.

      END QUOTES

      There is often a danger with these kind of discussions of "throwing the baby out with the bathwater".

      Yes, we need to recognise, honour and allow 'emergence' and 'self-organisation' to emerge. In other words, get out of the way enough so that they can happen. But does it mean going to the other extreme of a 'preoccupation' with emergence and self-organisation without *any* management or control? I think that would produce different sorts of 'unintended outcomes'.

      Look at what Andrius and his Kenyan colleagues have just achieved. Lots of rapid emergence and self-organisation, channelled by visualisation, interpretation and leadership, but also 'organised and controlled' via the Pyramid of Peace structure, Paypal and mobile phone networks. It is a both/and situation not either/or. The emergence and self-organisation would have fizzled out eventually without the management and control.

      What about CCs?

      The Currency Design Manual I have written is currently being trialled in US, Canada, UK and Germany. At its heart is a simple 'system model' for designing and organising CCs based on 5 key elements:
      1. The participants and their goals
      2. The operating environment
      3. Governance
      4. Management
      5. Currency mechanism

      What it attempts to do is to offer a designing and organising structure through which emergent problems, goals, priorities, needs and assets can be channelled to best effect. It aims to develop flexible CC architectures which can respond to changing personal and community situations without being bogged down by overbearing governance, management or bureaucracy. It proposes that the effective development of CCs is a combination of attention to the 'people factors' and the technical currency mechanism design process. So it requires both people and engineering skills.

      As with everything else, we are all learning about this, but I don't think it helps to map unuseful assumptions from other domains (such as managing complex IT architecture) that might produce other extremes. If anything, I believe we have had a little too much 'emergence and self-organisation' in CC world, which run out of steam without effective governance and management processes to make them sustainable.

      What do others think about this topic?

      John Rogers