An Economy for Giving Everything Away

  • ms@auste.elnet.lt
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
      I send a link to my paper "An Economy for Giving Everything Away" to Shaker
      Kaleel of An-Najah National University here in Nablus, Israeli-occupied
      Palestine, and also to Tom Wayburn here at our group.

      http://www.ms.lt/en/workingopenly/givingaway.html

      I include part of the argument below. The key point of my paper is that I
      show that I can rederive classical economics (based on "maximizing
      happiness") and in fact extend it if I think in terms of giving everything
      away (and the logic of "minimizing anxiety"). The latter economy negotiates
      "best use" and suggests:
      - for little things, just don't worry, let others have them
      - for medium-sized things, let the market decide, as in classical economics
      - for the big things, (like what should I do with my life), ignore the market
      as you are the best judge of best use for that

      This approach is also very practical because it says that we can switch, one
      person at a time, from "maximizing happiness" to "minimizing anxiety", as
      they are compatible, at least for the medium-sized questions. It also
      suggests what it means to think of "wealth as relationships" and in terms of
      building assets instead of reaping profits, as we do at our lab.

      Thank you for your interest!

      Andrius

      Andrius Kulikauskas
      Minciu Sodas
      http://www.ms.lt
      ms@...
      Nablus, Israeli-occupied Palestine

      ---------------------------------------
      An Economy for Giving Everything Away
      ---------------------------------------

      We document the position of the first author, Andrius Kulikauskas, the
      proprietor of Minciu Sodas, as an existential starting point. We present his
      outlook, in first person, to show that it unfolds through the modest practice
      of a radical principle.

      "I accept the idea that I should give everything away."

      "The challenge is to put this into practice. This is a design problem for
      personal life and social economy. We can venture attempts and draw experience
      from them."

      "My intent is to clarify the problem and offer solutions, especially by
      documenting ideas that have proven helpful in giving everything away."

      "Accepting that I should give everything away, I realize that it's not clear
      what this exactly means. What is mine to give away? At any moment, I have
      some cash on my person and in my accounts. I may own a car, laptop computer,
      desktop computer, software, bicycle, books, hiking equipment, chairs, clothes
      and shoes, eyeglasses, phone cards, kitchen utensils, paper and pen,
      toothbrush. I have a credit line that I can draw against at a particular rate
      of interest. I have family, friends, and even strangers on whom I can call for
      help. I am employable by virtue of my connections, work experience, education,
      enthusiasm and helpfulness. I have citizenship and civil rights. I have my
      time, my health, my organs, and my life expectancy. Moreover, I have gifts of
      creativity, invention, thoughtfulness, playfulness, friendship, concern, love
    • ms@auste.elnet.lt
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
        Tom, Pamela, Thank you for your responses! Andrius, http://www.ms.lt

        ------------------------
        Thanks, Andrius. I attributed the term "give-away economy" to you, although
        my idea of it is a little different from yours. The point is that I got the
        idea from you.

        Tom
        ---------------
        Pamela McLean:
        >Andrius
        >This reminds me how much I enjoyed reading this paper when I first found
        >it. I have it as a print out and have shown it / quoted it to several
        >people. It has been a postivie influence on my thinking - and I don't
        >know if I ever thanked you for it - so I'd like to do so now.
        >Pam
        >
        >ms@... wrote:
        >
        >>I send a link to my paper "An Economy for Giving Everything Away" to
        Shaker
        >>Kaleel of An-Najah National University here in Nablus, Israeli-occupied
        >>Palestine, and also to Tom Wayburn here at our group.
        >>
        >>http://www.ms.lt/en/workingopenly/givingaway.html

      • Andrius Kulikauskas
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 25 1:58 AM
          Surya, I forgot to add the link to my and David Ellison-Bey's paper "An
          Economy for Giving Everything Away":

          http://www.ms.lt/en/workingopenly/givingaway.html

          I'll add that today David and I wrote up an official agreement that the
          Moorish Cultural Workshop of the Moorish Science Temple of America
          provides office and office services to the Minciu Sodas laboratory at
          his home at 6726 S Parnell Ave, Chicago, IL, 60621, (773) 874-3332.
          David is in good spirits and invites our contacts including by Video
          Skype which we have set up here david.ellison.bey and he looks forward
          to our participants staying with him and working on-the-ground from here
          in this neighborhood of Englewood.

          Andrius Kulikauskas
          Minciu Sodas
          http://www.ms.lt
          ms@...

          Surya Rao Maturu: Incidentally, I became your "friend" after I read
          your Dyd2002 paper "Working for FREE..."Can you please send me a copy
          of this , as I lost your sheet........?
        • ms@ms.lt
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 9, 2010
            > Hi Andrius,
            >
            > I'm getting the sense that the rest of the world might be slowly catching
            > up
            > to you. I'm looking for your classic text "An Economy for Giving
            > Everything
            > Away". Is it online somewhere?
            >
            > Thanks and all the best!
            >
            > Seb

            Hi Seb,

            I've uploaded it to a new location:
            http://www.worknets.org/papers/givingaway.html

            This year I came to my limits, financially, and with $130,000 in debt, I
            had to give up organizing my business Minciu Sodas as an online lab and
            network.

            I moved from Chicago to Lithuania where I'm working as a tutor at Ivy
            League Tutoring http://www.ivyleaguetutoring.biz Outside of work, I'm
            doing research in the "ways of figuring things out". I've made a list of
            about 120 so far and I hope it might provide a foundation for a culture of
            independent thinkers, much as Lord Baden Powell did for scouting with his
            book "Scouting for Boys". It's also a way for me to write up my
            philosophical work "to know everything and apply that usefully" which I
            overview in my 10 minute video "I Wish to Know"
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArN-YbPlf8M

            I'm staying in Chicago with my friend and co-author David Ellison-Bey.
            His home was foreclosed in 2008:
            http://www.pbs.org/idealab/2008/10/the-includerepisode-5hardship-letter005.html
            The sale was confirmed two days ago. He'll be evicted in 45 days. I'm
            looking for a place to live in the South Shore neighborhood of Chicago
            where I work.

            How are you? I found your new blog:
            http://openresearch.sebpaquet.net/
            I've basically stopped online social networking. I want to focus on having
            a stronger culture.

            Peace,

            Andrius

            Andrius Kulikauskas