Re: An Online Structure for Learning

  • Andrius Kulikauskas
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
      Stephen, Yes, thank you, the RSS feeds below will be useful. They
      provide the latest news from your database, including links. They are a
      first step and they also suggest that it will not be too hard to find a
      way to access data from any one of your pages.

      Michael, It's great to hear from you. Yes, the graphic images are
      helpful for explaining. John insists on them, and rightly so.

      Tom, please keep writing about your ideas. It will simply take time to
      sink in. I found an article on emergy at Wikipedia:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergy "Embodied energy is the quantity of
      energy is necessary for the fabrication of a specific material. When
      measuring embodied energy, all energy inputs, from raw material
      extraction, to transport, manufacturing, assembly, installation and
      others are considered. Embodied energy as a concept seeks to measure the
      true energy cost of an item."

      John, I ran across an example of the three-cycle learning approach that
      I'd like to support (to help us take a stand, follow through, reflect
      and so on). It's the U.S.Army's After Action Review - "plan, act,
      reflect, plan..." especially how it is used on-the-spot, informally,
      as part of the culture, for both small events and large events. I have
      collected some links here:
      http://www.globalvillages.info/index.php/GlossaryOfStructure/AfterActionReview
      But few of them focus on the idea of "plan, act, reflect..." as a cycle
      to live by and to foster.

      In our learning, I think that it would be helpful to focus it with
      regard to the implementation of principles. For example, Michael's link
      states: "We try to get people comfortable with the idea of multiple
      currencies from the beginning. A system can function with only one
      currency, but using many currencies will increase the community's
      benefits. No reason to restrict yourself, do what you want, spend what
      you want."
      http://wildfire.communitycurrency.net/index.php?center=multiplecurrencies.htm

      On the one hand, that's an important idea, and can be helpful. But in
      other contexts it might not be a helpful way to think - for a particular
      purpose, or a particular community, it might make sense to focus on one
      currency, at least for a time. Or maybe not. But if we can be learning
      to flesh out the context for any such principle, and share our
      experiences, then we'll have a very helpful learning system.

      John, I will try to speak with you by phone this week. And starting
      some time next week I will be setting up our social networking system
      and within that will be able to set up different kinds of spaces to
      support learning. I'm wondering where to start? I imagine that you
      would like us to build on the Currency Design Tool
      http://www.cyfranogi.com/currency/04/ and make that useful. I am
      thinking of writing about how that decision process might be organized
      in terms of the learner:
      - Identifying the principles that they consider important. A principle
      might be: "A fair competition identifies the candidate which performs
      optimally" or "No more throwaway people!" and so on.
      - Match that with sets of principles that function as "patterns" that
      bring together various design features such as "using one hour as a unit
      of worth".
      - Relate that to real-life case-studies that can be analyzed and whose
      organizers can be engaged.

      Perhaps one way to start would be to go through Stephen's database,
      group the currencies by variety, and see what kinds of patterns emerge,
      and try to understand why? What are they achieving? What forces are they
      resolving? These varieties will show how the design features are
      interrelated. That is what I imagine John is looking for. The examples
      might provide real-life answers. We could organize ourselves (with the
      help of a community currency as we did for the chocolate project) to
      collect and analyze more such examples, including those that we might
      not think of as community currency (such as frequent flier miles), and
      also historical examples. Stephen mentioned that he's interested in
      collecting examples of community currencies that are novel in some way.

      Andrius

      Andrius Kulikauskas
      Minciu Sodas
      http://www.ms.lt
      ms@...
      +370 (699) 30003

      Stephen DeMeulenaere wrote:

      > Hello John and Andrius,
      >
      > I don't know if this is useful for you, but here it is, the RSS feeds
      > for the ccDatabase.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Stephen
      >
      >> I forgot to add that the whole system is now accessible via rss,
      >> your browser should have the orange button indicating that.
      >> Each channel is activable by a parameter, so that you can choose
      >> whether to provide this service.
      >>
      >> If you have a rss reader, the URLs are...
      >> Database:
      >> http://www.complementarycurrency.org/ccDatabase/xml/les-feed.xml
      >> Gallery:
      >> http://www.complementarycurrency.org/ccDatabase/xml/gallery-feed.xml
      >> Library:
      >> http://www.complementarycurrency.org/ccDatabase/xml/library-feed.xml
      >> Links:
      >> http://www.complementarycurrency.org/ccDatabase/xml/links-feed.xml
      >> [...]
      >>
      >> Cheers,
      >> Albert

    • Tom Wayburn
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3, 2006
        Andrius wrote:

        Tom, please keep writing about your ideas. It will simply take time to
        sink in. I found an article on emergy at Wikipedia:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergy "Embodied energy is the quantity of
        energy is necessary for the fabrication of a specific material. When
        measuring embodied energy, all energy inputs, from raw material
        extraction, to transport, manufacturing, assembly, installation and
        others are considered. Embodied energy as a concept seeks to measure the
        true energy cost of an item."

        That article, to which some people object, is essentially correct. It was written by Sholto Maud who has consulted with me extensively; therefore, I added a link to an old (1993) paper written by me that I have updated recently for the internet. Still, it does not reflect my latest thinking on the subject which is supposed to be reflected in "On Capitalism" and Chapter 2 of On the Preservation of Species.

        Tom Wayburn, Houston, Texas
        Blog: http://dematerialism.blogspot.com/
        Website: http://dematerialism.net/
        Primary e-mail address regardless of return address on this post: twayburn@...