Henry and Andrius about mindset training and community currency

  • Andrius Kulikauskas
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2005
      I share my chat with Henry Migingo about the use of community currency
      for "mindset training" in nurturing a bottom-up economy. We're
      following in the footsteps of Bala Pillai as we consider notions of
      "acumen" and how "multiplayer games" foster that. Also, John Rogers and
      the WICC team have made us of games to teach community currency.
      Andrius, http://www.ms.lt

      -------------------------------------

      Henry: Just to say hi!

      Andrius: hi :: thank you so much for your very supportive letter

      Henry: Which one?

      Andrius: in response to mine on business agreements

      Henry: Oh! Welcome\ :: I just like the way you framed it

      Andrius: I'm glad

      Henry: I also like the content. It has great weight :: Pregnant
      with facts & great direction

      Andrius: yes, ultimately it's about our response, what we do

      Henry: If each of us could put our visions as clearly as you did
      yours, the world would change faster

      Andrius: yes - so we can practice this :: your letters have been
      excellent, too

      Henry: Sure :: I enjoy writing plain letters. :: I hope to learn
      more from you.

      Andrius: what are your next thoughts on bottom-up economy :: ?

      Henry: I have too many thoughts that need to be consolidated. :: I
      am not yet done with "mind set training"

      Andrius: Will you be going to Tanzania?

      Henry: I believe this is the onset of bottom up economy :: I hope so.

      Andrius: Mind set training for bottom up economy?

      Henry: Yes :: Do you have a question?

      Andrius: No, I just wanted to make sure you're making progress as
      you wish. :: I had a thought, though.

      Henry: Tell me..

      Andrius: In practice, I find it helpful to think of money activity
      as various kinds of games. :: These games help with our mindset
      training. :: So, for example, our stipends are a kind of game.

      Henry: listening

      Andrius: The work isn't "real" in the sense that it doesn't "have
      to" be done.

      Henry: oh

      Andrius: Although the work can be quite useful potentially. :: It's
      also important for training the worker :: for their self-traning :: and
      for them to practice how to work amongst us.

      Henry: oh yes

      Andrius: And also the amount of pay is not quite real, either. ::
      We keep it small enough so that it can't be taken too seriously. :: Just
      a little seriously.

      Henry: You'll be suprised

      Andrius: So that a person has to look at it as an opportunity which
      they can make for themselves. :: So I'm thinking that really what we're
      doing with these "games" is mindset training as you say. :: Because the
      Western corporate market is like an intensive sporting match :: and so
      we can't just introduce people into that :: unless they have had a lot
      of mindset training.

      Henry: =D> :: That is a pregnant point

      Andrius: The reason people make good money is because they operate
      with a lot of mindset with regard to each other. :: Especially mindset
      self-training :: because we don't have the resources to train them any
      other way. :: That is why we play these games.

      Henry: Sure :: I agree

      Andrius: So it will be interesting what you write because that will
      stimulate our thinking.

      Henry: Lets take a scenario of the Ogieks :: Where there is no
      computers, tvs. electricity etc.. :: I think we can look for "money
      games" that work in such cases..

      Andrius: yes, good idea!

      Henry: Like what my friend Silvano calls the SHE

      Andrius: Or, for example, in the US, there is a lot of civic
      activity and charity activity.? And people know how to "require" small
      fees for attendance. :: Or how to make donations at the door. :: All
      kinds of systems. :: But here in Lithuania they don't work yet. ::
      Because people refuse to pay. :: They don't understand the "game" aspect
      of it. :: That often it's not the money that's relevant - there may be
      other ways to get the money. :: What's relevant is the give and take. ::
      In the West, the use of money is actually quite sophisticated. Much more
      sophisticated then the theory says. :: Money is multi dimensional in the
      sense that it is played within in different kinds of games.? There are
      different kinds of income streams and outputs. :: Qualitatively very
      different although it appears all the same.

      Henry: Here, money is killing us.

      Andrius: That is why I sometimes feel community currency ideas are
      immature in the sense that they set up such a game, but don't understand
      that actually the game can be played with real money, too. :: Yes?

      Henry: I think there is an aspect of community currency that you
      have not understood.

      Andrius: yes

      Henry: Community currency does not render money obsolete.. :: It
      just complements it :: I see it as a way of incresing liquidity

      Andrius: I agree

      Henry: Let me explain what I mean by "money is killing us"

      Andrius: yes

      Henry: I will talk about the african situation narrowing down to
      Kenya.. :: First of all, you know our currency is pegged to the dollar
      :: And this has an effect on the actual (liquid) money we can have in
      circulation at any given time. :: These liquid money have a way of
      finding "themselves" in the hands of the already rich.. :: over 3/4 of
      the total currency is in the hands of the rich monority.. :: To help the
      liquidity situation, the banks are now massively introducing the use of
      debit & credit cards .. :: But still the poor man cannot have these
      cards!!! :: The issueing of these cards is also pegged to an individuals
      earnings (majorly salary) :: With this in mind, the poor majority, who
      have no jobs, are ones again locked out

      Andrius: yes

      Henry: Having seen this scenario, we have to think of something
      that will easily be accessible to the poor.. :: And this is the
      community currency

      Andrius: yes

      Henry: And this is why we need to print and issue the community
      currency and regulate it from the community level :: what do you say?

      Andrius: I think you've said that well. My feeling (I may be wrong)
      is that it's important for participants to understand community currency
      as a game - serious in many ways - but whose purpose is greater than
      economic - its first purpose is to help us grow in mindset.

      Henry: Yes

      Andrius: This means that we don't always spend the money on
      "things" or "services" we need. Instead, we may spend the money on
      people in ways that we think encourage them to grow. :: It is a form of
      influence on each other. :: Rather than a tool for optimizing our own needs.

      Henry: Great point :: I agree with you

      Andrius: So you're mindset training is very exciting.

      Henry: ??

      Andrius: It would be interesting to see a relationship between what
      aspect of mindset you are training, and what aspect of a game fosters
      that. :: In other words, different community currencies, or different
      logics for using them, can relate to different mindset trainings.

      Henry: Yes

      Andrius: This is similar to the approach I am taking in my paper
      "We Learn to Stick Our Necks Out" - I am saying that different
      milestones in the growth and unfolding of an independent thinker are
      supported by different kinds of web functionality. ::
      http://www.openleader.com/index.php/OpenLeader/OpenLeader

      Henry: I like that

      Andrius: So something like that might be the case for the economic
      mindset training.

      Henry: Ones the mindset is (self) trained, economic stability is in
      evitable

      Andrius: yes :: I will share our chat!

      Henry: are we done?

      Andrius: And also, I am working on a self-learning program for
      independent thinkers. You're mindset training would be great to include
      as you develop it. :: Please keep chatting, I will watch what you are
      writing.

      Henry: Oh

      Andrius: It sounds like you're making good progress.

      Henry: I am getting good connections too.

      Andrius: Excellent!

      Henry: I am just in love with MS [:D] :: After the TZ conference, I
      will have alot to put down

      Andrius: I'm very happy - you give us all a lot!

      Henry: My mind is focussed on Tanzania currently

      Andrius: If you can get permission and emails from people to sign
      up for our discussions, that is a fantastic help.

      Henry: I will chat with you on the documents I need to present
      before the d day. :: Will that be okey with you?

      Andrius: ok - best is to send something to our Cyfranogi group

      Henry: I'll do that

      Andrius: peace

      Henry: I want to make it clear that my participation in MS is in my
      capacity as an individual and whatever I write do not reflect the views
      of OVB or OVF.

      Andrius: sure

      Henry: With that in mind, I will think freely.