Call for Papers: Everyday Youth Geographies Panel; Race,Ethnicity,and Place Conf

  • b_falola
    Message 1 of 4 , May 9, 2012
      Race, Ethnicity and Place Conference; Puerto Rico; October 24-26, 2012

      Session title: (En)countering Space, Place, and Agency: Everyday Youth Geographies
      Session Organizer: Naya Jones, Department of Geography and the Environment, University of Texas at Austin

      Current events underscore the vulnerability of young people as they navigate everyday spaces (i.e. Trayvon Martin, Bo Morrison) or as they struggle to remain "in place", as in the case of undocumented youth facing deportation in the United States. Young people negotiate multiple, intersecting social categories in their everyday lives; each of these is spatially constituted with lived implications for children and youth. Yet they are not only acted upon: they are negotiators and creators of space and place through formal and informal means. In industrialized and developing countries, youth are organizing. They are starting youth councils throughout Europe, building their own schools in Detroit, MI, and creating public art to protest drug-related violence in Mexico City. They are constructing counter-narratives to dominant adult narratives. In the process, young people create and define their relationships with space and power. Important contributions from Aitken, Cahill, Holloway, Skelton, and Valentine have begun to consider the implications of race and ethnicity in the lived experiences of young people. This organized session will explore the dynamics of youth and agency with particular attention to place-based identities and the socio-spatial everyday practices of youth. We seek submissions that address broad questions regarding how children and youth negotiate the linkages of race and ethnicity, space, and place. We encourage papers about the global South or North, that are empirically informed, and engage with youth-centered methodologies.

      Please send abstracts of no more than 300 words by 5 PM CST on Monday, May 21, 2012 to Naya Jones at geonaya@.... Feel free to contact with questions about the session.

      Race, Ethnicity and Place Conference: University of Puerto Rico - Rio Piedras, San Juan, PR; October 24-26, 2012 http://rep-conference.binghamton.edu/

      Bisola Falola
      University of Texas at Austin
      bisolafalola@...
    • Sharon E. Sutton
      Message 2 of 4 , May 9, 2012
        Bisola:

        Can you give me any more information on this effort in Detroit?

        On May 9, 2012, at 12:32 PM, b_falola wrote:

        > building their own schools in Detroit, MI,

        Dr. Sharon E. Sutton, FAIA
        Professor, Department of Architecture
        Adjunct Professor, School of Social Work
        Director, CEEDS (Center for Environment Education and Design Studies)
        University of Washington in Seattle
        Distinguished Professor, ACSA
        http://faculty.washington.edu/sesut/http://ceeds.caup.washington.edu/

        http://us.macmillan.com/theparadoxofurbanspace

      • b_falola
        Message 3 of 4 , May 10, 2012
          Hi Sharon:
          Youth in Detroit decided to form a "Freedom School" after
          walking out to protest imminent school closings, and then being
          suspended for walking out. The first link below has a power speech one
          of the students made about how schools are supposed to serve as assets
          to the community. Their facebook page has updated information.

          http://maddowblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/30/11471978-detroit-kids-s\
          tart-freedom-school
          <http://maddowblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/30/11471978-detroit-kids-\
          start-freedom-school>

          http://markmaynard.com/2012/04/students-at-detroits-western-high-school-\
          walk-out-over-cuts-in-education-funding-chanting-they-sat-cut-back-we-sa\
          y-fight-back/
          <http://markmaynard.com/2012/04/students-at-detroits-western-high-school\
          -walk-out-over-cuts-in-education-funding-chanting-they-sat-cut-back-we-s\
          ay-fight-back/>

          http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/24/maybury-elementary-school-closi\
          ng-detroit-roy-roberts_n_1300263.html
          <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/24/maybury-elementary-school-clos\
          ing-detroit-roy-roberts_n_1300263.html>   [the elementary school is
          no longer being closed]

          PhD Student

          The University of Texas at Austin
          Department of Geography and the Environment

          bisolafalola@... <mailto:geonaya@...>

          Message 4 of 4 , May 10, 2012
            Thanks so much. This will be very helpful.