children's centers/museums

  • Sudeshna Chatterjee
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 18, 2010
      Hi everyone,

      I am looking for examples of well designed children's centers and children's
      museums. I am working to save a children's center in Delhi that even though
      had a building constructed some years back in a very prominent location had
      really no vision driving the design, and was rented out as a school. The
      trust now wants to reclaim the building. This is where it gets interesting.

      Some of the trustees want business as usual and renovate the building to
      maximize its real estate potential. The rest, hopefully a majority, wants to
      give the property back to children as a center that nurtures creativity and
      learning in a fun space. The center will also house a phenomenal collection
      of toys from around the world that is currently in storage.I am trying to
      work with the second group to create a compelling vision for a center that
      is child friendly and fun for children and their families to win the trust
      of the entire board. This place has the potential to become a real and much
      needed destination for children in the city. So any ideas, leads, examples
      of successful projects will be highly appreciated and greatly help the cause
      of reclaiming the property as a children's center.

      I eagerly look forward to your suggestions.

      Regards,

      Sudeshna

      --
      Sudeshna Chatterjee, PhD

      Partner, Kaimal Chatterjee & Associates
      Architecture Urban Design Research
      New Delhi, India

      We make people-friendly and environment-friendly places
      www.kca.in

    • debra flanders
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 18, 2010
        Hi Sudeshna,

        You should take a look at the book Design for Kids by Sharon and Peter Exley (a
        link to the google book is below). It highlights a number of interesting
        children's museums and centers they designed. I'm sure you could also contact
        the authors directly for more input.

        Good Luck!
        Debbie

        http://books.google.com/books?id=xWJEpTl-0rYC&printsec=frontcover&dq=design+for+kids+exley&source=bl&ots=12STGfhAMS&sig=Hqwtdi5zWio4TtArlqVPHGJ_5Ak&hl=en&ei=0UVsTLt3hPjwBsjd3KEL&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CBkQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

        Debra Flanders Cushing
        Doctoral Candidate, College of Architecture and Planning
        Coordinator for Growing Up Boulder, www.growingupboulder.org
        Children, Youth and Environments Center for Research and Design
        University of Colorado
        303-475-0763 cell