Children as advocates

  • vvanvann
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2009
      I will appreciate references to simple and practical guidelines to
      help children learn to act as advocates on behalf of others.
      Associated research literature would be nice as well.

      Willem van Vliet-
      Willem.vanvliet@...
    • Saira I Qureshi
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2009
        Various Service learning or Community awareness organizations as well as media organizations
        such as Manhattan Neighborhood Network, Youth Action, Global Kids in the US - all of which you can search on the internet will have some sort of curricula on advocacy and speaking for youth rights.

        Hope this helps.

        Saira

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2009
          Willem, hi

          I’m not entirely sure what you mean by children being advocates “on behalf
          of others”. Do you mean other children? What is your interest or project?

          Anyway, regardless, there is an excellent set of guidelines here in
          Australia called: “Taking Participation Seriously”, which contains 5
          booklets. This kit is put out by the Children’s Commission of NSW. It can
          be accessed on: www.kids.nsw.gov.au/publications/taking.html

          The kit is for organizations who want to see the participation of children
          and young people in decisions that affect them. Advocacy is part of the
          process.

          regards

          Fiona Robbé AILA

          Registered Landscape Architect + Horticulturalist
          108 Arcadia Road, ARCADIA NSW 2159
          Tel: (02) 9653 1045 Fax: (02) 9653 1229
          Email: fiona@...

          IMPORTANT NOTICE
          This email and any attachments may be confidential and also privileged. If
          you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender and delete all
          copies of this transmission immediately, along with any attachments. You
          should not copy it or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to
          any other person.

          _____

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2, 2009
            Thanks for these suggestions. However, what I'm looking for is a
            little different from (rights-based or other) programs that prepare
            children to advocate on behalf of themselves.

            I'm looking for methods that can be used to work with children so they
            can advocate effectively on behalf of other population groups that
            often find themselves at the margins of society. This has more to do
            with methods of developing understandings of the needs of others and
            their potential to address those needs.

            Willem

            --- In cyef@yahoogroups.com, "Fiona Robbe" <fiona@...> wrote:

            > Willem, hi
            >
            > I'm not entirely sure what you mean by children being advocates "on
            behalf
            > of others". Do you mean other children? What is your interest or
            project?

            > Anyway, regardless, there is an excellent set of guidelines here in
            > Australia called: "Taking Participation Seriously", which contains 5
            > booklets. This kit is put out by the Children's Commission of NSW.
            It can
            > be accessed on: www.kids.nsw.gov.au/publications/taking.html
            >
            > The kit is for organizations who want to see the participation of
            children
            > and young people in decisions that affect them. Advocacy is part of the
            > process.
            >
            > regards
            >
            > Fiona Robbé AILA
            >

            > Registered Landscape Architect + Horticulturalist
            > 108 Arcadia Road, ARCADIA NSW 2159
            > Tel: (02) 9653 1045 Fax: (02) 9653 1229
            > Email: fiona@...
            >

            > IMPORTANT NOTICE
            > This email and any attachments may be confidential and also
            privileged. If
            > you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender and
            delete all
            > copies of this transmission immediately, along with any attachments.
            You
            > should not copy it or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its
            contents to
            > any other person.
            >
            > _____

          • Fiona Robbe
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 3, 2009
              Hi Willem,

              Ok, I have another suggestion, which is left field. How about you email
              Raed in Jordan, who has a fascinating job working with refugee children who
              often have to be advocates for others who are “at the margins of society” as
              you call it. It is not the only work Raed does, but I suspect he has some
              very good methods. He works with Save the Children:
              RHayyaneh@Savechildren,org.jo

              He is a very special guy….

              --- In cyef@yahoogroups. <mailto:cyef%40yahoogroups.com> com, "Fiona Robbe"