design guidelines for children with autism

  • Ine van Liempd
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 7, 2008
      Dear listmembers,
      I am looking for design guidelines for residential care for children
      with autism. Does anyone know of any specific research that has been
      done on this subject? I am trying to make a list of publications but
      untill now I can't find much. So hopefully some of you can help me?
      Thank you very much in advance!
      Kind regards,

      Ine van Liempd
      AKTA, onderzoeks- en adviesbureau voor ruimtegebruik
      Postbus 13297
      3507 LG Utrecht
      tel. 030 271 0558
      e-mail: inevanliempd@... <mailto:inevanliempd@...>
      www.akta.nl <http://www.akta.nl/>

      De informatie opgenomen in dit bericht is vertrouwelijk en is
      uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde. Indien u dit bericht
      onterecht ontvangt, wordt u verzocht de inhoud niet te gebruiken, te
      vernietigen en de afzender direct te informeren via bovenstaand
      e-mailadres dan wel via 030-2710558.

    • susan mazer
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 7, 2008
        Ine, I did the same search you did and came up with little. However, I have
        a workbook that I put together for workshops with Kennedy Krieger Institute
        that I can send you. Also, check out the MIND Institute in Sacramento.

        Let me know if you would like me to send you the workbook...

        warmly,

        Susan Mazer

        2008/4/7 Ine van Liempd <inevanliempd@...>:

        > Dear listmembers,
        > I am looking for design guidelines for residential care for children
        > with autism. Does anyone know of any specific research that has been
        > done on this subject? I am trying to make a list of publications but
        > untill now I can't find much. So hopefully some of you can help me?
        > Thank you very much in advance!
        > Kind regards,
        >
        > Ine van Liempd
        > AKTA, onderzoeks- en adviesbureau voor ruimtegebruik
        > Postbus 13297
        > 3507 LG Utrecht
        > tel. 030 271 0558
        > e-mail: inevanliempd@... <inevanliempd%40akta.nl> <mailto:
        > inevanliempd@... <inevanliempd%40akta.nl>>
        > www.akta.nl <http://www.akta.nl/>
        >
        > De informatie opgenomen in dit bericht is vertrouwelijk en is
        > uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde. Indien u dit bericht
        > onterecht ontvangt, wordt u verzocht de inhoud niet te gebruiken, te
        > vernietigen en de afzender direct te informeren via bovenstaand
        > e-mailadres dan wel via 030-2710558.

        Susan E. Mazer
        President/Chief Executive Officer
        Healing HealthCare Systems
        1-800-348-0799
        smazer@...
        http://www.healinghealth.com

      • melissa gemeinhardt
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 7, 2008
          and list friends ...while you're at it ....the interior design dept. at my community college is exploring the issue of a high school classroom for children w/ significant special needs. If you have any favorite , simple links or articles ...I would love to be able to pass them along.
          My loan list so far includes "Pattern Language " , "Caring Places/Spaces " , "Play for All Guidelines", the textbook by Anita Rui Olds (?)

          Melissa Gemeinhardt , New Orleans

          ps- many of our school facilities our basic in the extreme ....no ideas are too small.

          Ine van Liempd <inevanliempd@...> wrote:
[...]

        • Suzanne Milbourne
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 7, 2008
            Susan, can you please also send me a copy of the workbook.
            suzanne.milbourne@...
            Thank you
            Ine, I did the same search you did and came up with little. However, I have
            a workbook that I put together for workshops with Kennedy Krieger Institute
            that I can send you. Also, check out the MIND Institute in Sacramento.

            Let me know if you would like me to send you the workbook...

            warmly,

            Susan Mazer

            2008/4/7 Ine van Liempd <inevanliempd@...>:

            > Dear listmembers,
            > I am looking for design guidelines for residential care for children
            > with autism. Does anyone know of any specific research that has been
            > done on this subject? I am trying to make a list of publications but
            > untill now I can't find much. So hopefully some of you can help me?
            > Thank you very much in advance!
            > Kind regards,
            >
            > Ine van Liempd
            > AKTA, onderzoeks- en adviesbureau voor ruimtegebruik
            > Postbus 13297
            > 3507 LG Utrecht
            > tel. 030 271 0558
            > e-mail: inevanliempd@... <inevanliempd%40akta.nl> <mailto:
            > inevanliempd@... <inevanliempd%40akta.nl>>
            > www.akta.nl <http://www.akta.nl/>
            >
            > De informatie opgenomen in dit bericht is vertrouwelijk en is
            > uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde. Indien u dit bericht
            > onterecht ontvangt, wordt u verzocht de inhoud niet te gebruiken, te
            > vernietigen en de afzender direct te informeren via bovenstaand
            > e-mailadres dan wel via 030-2710558.

            Susan E. Mazer
            President/Chief Executive Officer
            Healing HealthCare Systems
            1-800-348-0799
            smazer@...
            http://www.healinghealth.com

          • Michelle Newman
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 8, 2008
              You may be interested in the work of project spectrum, a research initiative that took place at Coventry University to investigate, design and build a sensory environment for children on the autistic spectrum

              http://projectspectrum.co.uk/

              Best wishes
              Michelle newman

              ________________________________

              e-mail: inevanliempd@... <mailto:inevanliempd%40akta.nl> <mailto:inevanliempd@... <mailto:inevanliempd%40akta.nl> >
              www.akta.nl <http://www.akta.nl/ <http://www.akta.nl/> >

              De informatie opgenomen in dit bericht is vertrouwelijk en is
              uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde. Indien u dit bericht
              onterecht ontvangt, wordt u verzocht de inhoud niet te gebruiken, te
              vernietigen en de afzender direct te informeren via bovenstaand
              e-mailadres dan wel via 030-2710558.

              NOTICE

              This message and any files transmitted with it is intended for the addressee only and may contain information that is confidential or privileged. Unauthorised use is strictly prohibited. If you are not the addressee, you should not read, copy, disclose or otherwise use this message, except for the purpose of delivery to the addressee.

              Any views or opinions expressed within this e-mail are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Coventry University.

            • jenaponti
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 8, 2008
                Susan, would you mind sending me the workbook also. I'm interested in
                designing outdoor environments for children with autism (play,
                learning, therapy, family bonding...) and also came up with limited
                references. The MIND Institute is a good resource. There are many
                online resources like the Austism Society of America
                http://www.autism-society.org/site/PageServer

                very much appreciated, Susan!

                Jena Ponti
                jenaponti@...

                --- In cyef@yahoogroups.com, "susan mazer" <smazer@...> wrote:

                > Ine, I did the same search you did and came up with little.
                However, I have
                > a workbook that I put together for workshops with Kennedy Krieger
                Institute
                > that I can send you. Also, check out the MIND Institute in
                Sacramento.

                > Let me know if you would like me to send you the workbook...
                >
                > warmly,
                >
                > Susan Mazer
                >
                > 2008/4/7 Ine van Liempd <inevanliempd@...>:
                >
                > > Dear listmembers,
                > > I am looking for design guidelines for residential care for
                children
                > > with autism. Does anyone know of any specific research that has
                been
                > > done on this subject? I am trying to make a list of publications
                but
                > > untill now I can't find much. So hopefully some of you can help
                me?
                > > Thank you very much in advance!
                > > Kind regards,
                > >
                > > Ine van Liempd
                > > AKTA, onderzoeks- en adviesbureau voor ruimtegebruik
                > > Postbus 13297
                > > 3507 LG Utrecht
                > > tel. 030 271 0558
                > > e-mail: inevanliempd@... <inevanliempd%40akta.nl> <mailto:
                > > inevanliempd@... <inevanliempd%40akta.nl>>
                > > www.akta.nl <http://www.akta.nl/>
                > >
                > > De informatie opgenomen in dit bericht is vertrouwelijk en is
                > > uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde. Indien u dit bericht
                > > onterecht ontvangt, wordt u verzocht de inhoud niet te gebruiken,
                te
                > > vernietigen en de afzender direct te informeren via bovenstaand
                > > e-mailadres dan wel via 030-2710558.

                > --
                > Susan E. Mazer
                > President/Chief Executive Officer
                > Healing HealthCare Systems
                > 1-800-348-0799
                > smazer@...
                > http://www.healinghealth.com

              • Carol A. Krawczyk
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 8, 2008
                  Dear Susan,
                  I am also interested in your workbook and would love a copy as well.

                  I've been researching outdoor environments for children with autism, and
                  my literature search has material from the 1960s and 1970s. These older
                  references that still merit attention include:

                  Bayes, K., and Francklin, S., eds. (1971). Designing for the
                  Handicapped. London: George Godwin Limited.

                  Bayes, K. (1967). The Therapeutic Effect of Environment on Emotionally
                  Disturbed and Mentally Subnormal Children. Old Woking, UK: The Gresham
                  Press.

                  Bednar, M. J., and Haviland, D. S. (1969). "Role of the physical
                  environment in the education of children with learning disabilities: A
                  position paper," Center for Architectural Research, Rensselaer
                  Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY: Educational Facilities Laboratories.

                  Canter, S. and Canter, D. (1979). /Designing for Therapeutic
                  Environments: A Review of Research/. Chichester, UK: John Wiley and Sons.

                  Cohen, U.; Hill, A. B.; Lane, C. G.; McGinty, T.; and Moore, G. T.
                  (1979a). /Recommendations for Child Play Areas/. Milwaukee, WI:
                  Community Design Center, Inc. and Center for Architecture and Urban
                  Planning Research.

                  Moore, G. T.; Cohen, U.; Oertel, J.; & van Ryzin, L. (1979). Designing
                  Environments for Handicapped Children: A Design Guide and Case Study.
                  NY: Educational Facilities Laboratories.

                  Moore, R. C. ; Goltsman, S. M.; & Iacofano, D. S. (1997). /Play for All
                  Guidelines: Planning, Design and Management of Outdoor Play Settings for
                  All Children, 2^nd Edition/. Berkeley, CA: MIG Communications.

                  Richer, J. (1979). "Physical environments for autistic children -- Four
                  case studies," in Canter, S. and Canter, D., /Designing for Therapeutic
                  Environments: A Review of Research/. Chichester, UK: John Wiley and Sons.

                  Sincerely,
                  Carol A. Krawczyk, ASLA
                  Doctoral Student in Environmental Psychology
                  CUNY Grad Center
                  365 Fifth Avenue
                  New York, NY 10016

                  susan mazer wrote:

                  > Ine, I did the same search you did and came up with little. However, I
                  > have
                  > a workbook that I put together for workshops with Kennedy Krieger
                  > Institute
                  > that I can send you. Also, check out the MIND Institute in Sacramento.
                  >
                  > Let me know if you would like me to send you the workbook...
                  >
                  > warmly,
                  >
                  > Susan Mazer
                  >
                  > 2008/4/7 Ine van Liempd <inevanliempd@...
                  > <mailto:inevanliempd%40akta.nl>>:
                  >
                  > > Dear listmembers,
                  > > I am looking for design guidelines for residential care for children
                  > > with autism. Does anyone know of any specific research that has been
                  > > done on this subject? I am trying to make a list of publications but
                  > > untill now I can't find much. So hopefully some of you can help me?
                  > > Thank you very much in advance!
                  > > Kind regards,
                  > >
                  > > Ine van Liempd
                  > > AKTA, onderzoeks- en adviesbureau voor ruimtegebruik
                  > > Postbus 13297
                  > > 3507 LG Utrecht
                  > > tel. 030 271 0558
                  > > e-mail: inevanliempd@... <mailto:inevanliempd%40akta.nl>
                  > <inevanliempd%40akta.nl> <mailto:
                  > > inevanliempd@... <mailto:inevanliempd%40akta.nl>
                  > <inevanliempd%40akta.nl>>
                  > > www.akta.nl <http://www.akta.nl/ <http://www.akta.nl/>>
                  > >
                  > > De informatie opgenomen in dit bericht is vertrouwelijk en is
                  > > uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde. Indien u dit bericht
                  > > onterecht ontvangt, wordt u verzocht de inhoud niet te gebruiken, te
                  > > vernietigen en de afzender direct te informeren via bovenstaand
                  > > e-mailadres dan wel via 030-2710558.

                  > --
                  > Susan E. Mazer
                  > President/Chief Executive Officer
                  > Healing HealthCare Systems
                  > 1-800-348-0799
                  > smazer@... <mailto:smazer%40healinghealth.com>
                  > http://www.healinghealth.com <http://www.healinghealth.com>

                • Fiona Robbe
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 8, 2008
                    Dear Ine

                    You may know of the following book: Play and Imagination in children with
                    autism? Pamela Wolfberg is the author.(1999) You have to extrapolate
                    design outcomes from the text, but it is well written.

                    Fiona Robbé AILA

                    Registered Landscape Architect + Horticulturalist
                    108 Arcadia Road, ARCADIA NSW 2159
                    Tel: (02) 9653 1045 Fax: (02) 9653 1229
                    Email: fiona@...

                    IMPORTANT NOTICE
                    This email and any attachments may be confidential and also privileged. If
                    you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender and delete all
                    copies of this transmission immediately, along with any attachments. You
                    should not copy it or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to
                    any other person.

                    _____

                    e-mail: inevanliempd@ <mailto:inevanliempd%40akta.nl> akta.nl
                    <mailto:inevanliempd@ <mailto:inevanliempd%40akta.nl> akta.nl>
                    www.akta.nl <http://www.akta <http://www.akta.nl/> nl/>

                    De informatie opgenomen in dit bericht is vertrouwelijk en is
                    uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde. Indien u dit bericht
                    onterecht ontvangt, wordt u verzocht de inhoud niet te gebruiken, te
                    vernietigen en de afzender direct te informeren via bovenstaand
                    e-mailadres dan wel via 030-2710558.

                  • Helen Woolley
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 10, 2008
                      Dear Jena Ponti

                      I have done some research about disabled children and primary shcool
                      playgrounds and there is a small book published from this work - it
                      isn't a specific set of design guidance but looks at how they are
                      included in the playground - so identifies barriers and good practice
                      within these schools. The focus children included soem who had autism.
                      I'm not sure if I have a spare copy but it should be available from the
                      Children's Play Council web site. If not let me know and I'll see what
                      I can do about getting a copy. (The book is called Inclusion of Disabled
                      Children in Primary School Playgrounds)

                      Also a few years ago I did a design project with undergraduate students
                      - I will see if I have any information left from that - but I won't be
                      able to get it to you this week.
                      Helen Woolley
                      Department of Landscape
                      The University of Sheffield
                      England
                      E: h.woolley@...

                      jenaponti wrote:

                      > Susan, would you mind sending me the workbook also. I'm interested in
                      > designing outdoor environments for children with autism (play,
                      > learning, therapy, family bonding...) and also came up with limited
                      > references. The MIND Institute is a good resource. There are many
                      > online resources like the Austism Society of America
                      > http://www.autism-society.org/site/PageServer
                      > <http://www.autism-society.org/site/PageServer>
                      >
                      > very much appreciated, Susan!
                      >
                      > Jena Ponti
                      > jenaponti@... <mailto:jenaponti%40hotmail.com>
                      >
                      > --- In cyef@yahoogroups.com <mailto:cyef%40yahoogroups.com>, "susan
                      > mazer" <smazer@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Ine, I did the same search you did and came up with little.
                      > However, I have
                      > > a workbook that I put together for workshops with Kennedy Krieger
                      > Institute
                      > > that I can send you. Also, check out the MIND Institute in
                      > Sacramento.
                      > >
                      > > Let me know if you would like me to send you the workbook...
                      > >
                      > > warmly,
                      > >
                      > > Susan Mazer
                      > >
                      > > 2008/4/7 Ine van Liempd <inevanliempd@...>:
                      > >
                      > > > Dear listmembers,
                      > > > I am looking for design guidelines for residential care for
                      > children
                      > > > with autism. Does anyone know of any specific research that has
                      > been
                      > > > done on this subject? I am trying to make a list of publications
                      > but
                      > > > untill now I can't find much. So hopefully some of you can help
                      > me?
                      > > > Thank you very much in advance!
                      > > > Kind regards,
                      > > >
                      > > > Ine van Liempd
                      > > > AKTA, onderzoeks- en adviesbureau voor ruimtegebruik
                      > > > Postbus 13297
                      > > > 3507 LG Utrecht
                      > > > tel. 030 271 0558
                      > > > e-mail: inevanliempd@... <inevanliempd%40akta.nl> <mailto:
                      > > > inevanliempd@... <inevanliempd%40akta.nl>>
                      > > > www.akta.nl <http://www.akta.nl/ <http://www.akta.nl/>>
                      > > >
                      > > > De informatie opgenomen in dit bericht is vertrouwelijk en is
                      > > > uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde. Indien u dit bericht
                      > > > onterecht ontvangt, wordt u verzocht de inhoud niet te gebruiken,
                      > te
                      > > > vernietigen en de afzender direct te informeren via bovenstaand
                      > > > e-mailadres dan wel via 030-2710558.

                      > > --
                      > > Susan E. Mazer
                      > > President/Chief Executive Officer
                      > > Healing HealthCare Systems
                      > > 1-800-348-0799
                      > > smazer@...
                      > > http://www.healinghealth.com <http://www.healinghealth.com>

                      Helen Woolley
                      Chartered Landscape Architect
                      Senior Lecturer
                      Department of Landscape
                      The University of Sheffield
                      SHEFFIELD
                      S10 2TN
                      England

                      E-mail: h.woolley@...

                      Tel: 0114 222 0608 (UK)
                      00 44 114 222 0608 (International)

                      Fax: 0114 275 4176 (UK)
                      00 44 114 275 4176
                    • jenaponti
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 10, 2008
                        Hi Helen, thank you very much for sending me to the NCB website.
                        What a great organization! I couldn't find that particular
                        publication listed but I emailed the contact person to see if I could
                        purchase a copy from them. I appreciate the offer for sharing your
                        information from the undergrad project with me. You can contact me
                        directly at jenaponti@...
                        Thank you so much and have a great day, Jena

                        --- In cyef@yahoogroups.com, Helen Woolley <h.woolley@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        limited
                        > > references. The MIND Institute is a good resource. There are many
                        > > online resources like the Austism Society of America
                        > > http://www.autism-society.org/site/PageServer
                        > > <http://www.autism-society.org/site/PageServer>
                        > >
                        > > very much appreciated, Susan!
                        > >
                        > > Jena Ponti
                        > > jenaponti@... <mailto:jenaponti%40hotmail.com>
                        > >
                        > > --- In cyef@yahoogroups.com <mailto:cyef%
                        40yahoogroups.com>, "susan
                        > > mazer" <smazer@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Ine, I did the same search you did and came up with little.
                        > > However, I have
                        > > > a workbook that I put together for workshops with Kennedy
                        Krieger
                        > > Institute
                        > > > that I can send you. Also, check out the MIND Institute in
                        > > Sacramento.
                        > > >
                        > > > Let me know if you would like me to send you the workbook...

                      • Betsy Caesar
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 10, 2008
                          Dear Helen Woolley,

                          I am very interested in this e-mail stream and would love to see your small
                          book. I tried www.children <http://www.children'splaycouncil.org>
                          'splaycouncil.org but didn't have any luck. Could you forward the address?

                          Thanks

                          Betsy Caesar

                          E: h.woolley@... <mailto:h.woolley%40sheffield.ac.uk>

                          E-mail: h.woolley@... <mailto:h.woolley%40sheffield.ac.uk>

                          Tel: 0114 222 0608 (UK)
                          00 44 114 222 0608 (International)

                          Fax: 0114 275 4176 (UK)
                          00 44 114 275 4176

                        • Keith Christensen
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 10, 2008
                            I hope you might find the following references useful in your literature
                            search.

                            Loy, D.P. & Dattilo, J. (2000). Effects of different play structures on
                            social interactions between a boy with Asperger's Syndrome and his peers.
                            Therapeutic Recreation Journal,34 (3), 190-210.

                            The study is relevant to autism, however the title is slightly misleading.
                            It is a single-subject study of type of play on peer interactions. But the
                            study does have some design suggestions which are useful.

                            Let me know if you are unable to locate a copy.

                            Thank you,

                            Keith Christensen

                            _____

                            Hi Helen, thank you very much for sending me to the NCB website.
                            What a great organization! I couldn't find that particular
                            publication listed but I emailed the contact person to see if I could
                            purchase a copy from them. I appreciate the offer for sharing your
                            information from the undergrad project with me. You can contact me
                            directly at jenaponti@hotmail. <mailto:jenaponti%40hotmail.com> com
                            Thank you so much and have a great day, Jena

                            --- In cyef@yahoogroups. <mailto:cyef%40yahoogroups.com> com, Helen Woolley
                            <h.woolley@...> wrote:

                            > Dear Jena Ponti
                            >
                            > I have done some research about disabled children and primary
                            shcool
                            > playgrounds and there is a small book published from this work - it
                            > isn't a specific set of design guidance but looks at how they are
                            > included in the playground - so identifies barriers and good
                            practice
                            > within these schools. The focus children included soem who had
                            autism.
                            > I'm not sure if I have a spare copy but it should be available from
                            the
                            > Children's Play Council web site. If not let me know and I'll see
                            what
                            > I can do about getting a copy. (The book is called Inclusion of
                            Disabled
                            > Children in Primary School Playgrounds)
                            >
                            > Also a few years ago I did a design project with undergraduate
                            students
                            > - I will see if I have any information left from that - but I won't
                            be
                            > able to get it to you this week.
                            > Helen Woolley
                            > Department of Landscape
                            > The University of Sheffield
                            > England
                            > E: h.woolley@...
                            >

                            > jenaponti wrote:
                            >
                            > > Susan, would you mind sending me the workbook also. I'm
                            interested in
                            > > designing outdoor environments for children with autism (play,
                            > > learning, therapy, family bonding...) and also came up with
                            limited
                            > > references. The MIND Institute is a good resource. There are many
                            > > online resources like the Austism Society of America
                            > > http://www.autism- <http://www.autism-society.org/site/PageServer>
                            society.org/site/PageServer
                            > > <http://www.autism- <http://www.autism-society.org/site/PageServer>
                            society.org/site/PageServer>