RE: [cyef] Toxic plants in children's play spaces

  • Margaret Cavanagh
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2007
      Hello Sam,

      I feel quite certain you are after US stats on this issue, however, if
      you are interested in comparisons to overseas stats then I can forward
      you those from the Poisons Information Service based on New South Wales
      statistics. I may also be able to source national stats if you require
      those in addition to this states statistics. These are numbers of
      occurrences rather than rates per 100,000. There was also a recent study
      conducted by Queensland University into Plant Poisonings in that state,
      and I may be able to get a soft copy of that study for you. Please
      contact me if you wish to receive those.

      Kind regards

      Margaret Cavanagh
      Program Manager

      Playground Advisory Unit
      Kidsafe NSW Inc
      Ph: (02) 9845 0890
      Fax: (02) 9845 0895
      Email: margarec@...
      Website: www.kidsafensw.org

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 7, 2007
        Hi Margaret,

        You are correct, I was initially interested in US incidents, but now I'd like to get as much data as possible. I have poisoning data for the US going back to 1985 (thanks to a CYEF member). These annual reports from US poison control centers contain data on calls as well as outcomes.

        I've only read through the last decade so far. During these 10 years there were 2 fatal accidental plant poisonings involving children. One involved a 13-year-old and conium maculatum (poison hemlock) described as "unintentional misuse." The other involved a 4-year-old and senecio longilobus (threadleaf groundsel). In the decade 1996-2005, there were a total of 18 deaths from plant poisoning, of which 13 were intentional (suicide).

        To give some perspective, in 2005 there were 3,968,129 calls made to US poison control centers.

        I am currently looking into non-fatal exposures, including allergic reactions.

        I hope to publish the full study soon. It seems like a timely topic with growing interest in teaching gardens, rain gardens, natural play, adventure play and expeditionary learning.

        all the best,
        sam

        Samuel F. Dennis, Jr., PhD, RLA, ASLA
        Assistant Professor
        Department of Landscape Architecture and
        http://www.la.wisc.edu