Re: Natural features on playgrounds

  • miminarayan
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2007
      Thank you to all those who responded to my post. I now have a much
      better conception of what's out there and where I need to go. I will
      keep you all posted on my progress and hopefully I will see some of
      you at EDRA in Sacramento.

      Thanks again,

      Mimi

      Debarati Majumdar Narayan
      Doctoral Candidate
      Ph.D. Program in Environmental Design and Planning
      College of Design
      Arizona State University
      Ph: (480) 727 6358

      --- In cyef@yahoogroups.com, Robin Moore <robin_moore@...> wrote:

      > Hello Mimi,
      >
      > Thanks Kathleen for prompting this tardy reply.
      >
      > I do not know of any validated, reliable measure for vegetation.
      >
      > Patrik Grahn <Patrik.Grahn@...> and his colleagues at the
      > Swedish Agricultural University must have developed a measure for
      > their investigations of Swedish Nursery School outdoor spaces but
      > they have not published in English yet.
      >
      > For her PhD investigation of associations between preschool
      outdoor
      > childcare designed environments and physical activity, Nilda
      Cosco
      > <nilda_cosco@...> here at NLI, developed a measure of diversity
      > that may be useful.
      >
      > Nilda and myself just returned from the Active Living Research
      annual
      > conference. We are up to speed with the rather thin measurement
      > literature specifically related to children's environments. We
      have
      > not found anything focused on natural elements. You probably
      don't
      > want to waste time looking.
      >
      > I assume you have been in contact with Frances Kuo and Andrea
      Faber
      > Taylor at the:
      >
      > Landscape & Human Health Laboratory
      > Department of Natural Resources & Environmental Sciences
      > Department of Psychology
      > University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
      > Urbana, IL 61801
      > (217) 244-0393
      > fekuo@...
      > www.herl.uiuc.edu
      >
      > And also Nancy Wells at Cornell <nmw2@...> who is conducting
      > research on human response to natural environments.
      >
      > My advice. Develop your own measure and make a contribution to
      the
      > field.
      >
      > Good luck. There are a bunch of us eagerly waiting for the results.
      >
      > Robin
      >

      > On Feb 26, 2007, at 6:10 PM, Kathleen Bagot wrote:
      >
      > > Hi there
      > >
      > > I too am a PhD student and my thesis is looking at primary school
      > > playgrounds as restorative environments. Sorry to say, but I
      was
      > > unable
      > > to locate an established measure that captured the naturalness
      from
      > > within the grounds (not just looking into the area from a single
      > > point). In turn, I modified existing photograph rating methods
      and in
      > > addition, calculated vegetation volume (i.e. m3) of each school
      > > playground. I would be happy to share these methods in more
      detail
      > > with
      > > you, if you think they may be relevant. Unfortunately though, I
      don't
      > > think they are exactly what you are after as the photograph
      rating
      > > method is a measure of "how natural does this scene appear" and
      the
      > > vegetation volume method is a measure of "how much vegetation
      is
      > > there".
      > >
      > > Perhaps a combination of one of the forms mentioned earlier
      combined
      > > with the concept of affordances may be what you're after. You
      may of
      > > course already be aware of these. [Heft, H. (1988). Affordances
      of
      > > children's environments: A functional approach to environmental
      > > description. /Children's Environments Quarterly, 5/(3), 29-37.
      Kytta,
      > > M. (2002). Affordances of children's environments in the context
      of
      > > cities, small towns, suburbs and rural villages in Finland and
      > > Belarus.
      > > /Journal of Environmental Psychology, 22/, 109-123.].
      > >
      > > I also came across a web site recently for Active Living
      Research

      http://www.activelivingresearch.org/index.php/Tools_and_Measures/312
      > > Again, maybe something there may be what you're after.
      > >
      > > Anyway, I hope that this is of some help to you. It can be quite
      > > arduous looking for the right measure. I'd be interested in
      hearing
      > > what you eventually select.
      > >
      > > Good luck with your thesis.
      > >
      > > Kathleen
      > >
      > > ****************************************************************
      > >
      > > Kathleen Bagot
      > >

      > > PhD Candidate
      > > School of Psychology, Psychiatry and Psychological Medicine
      > > Monash University, Victoria, 3800
      > > Australia
      > >
      > > ph: +61 3 9905 9448
      > > fx: +61 3 9905 3948
      > >
      > > kathleen.bagot@...
      > >

      > > miminarayan wrote:
      > >

      > >> I am a Ph.D. student at Arizona State University. My
      dissertation is
      > >> an investigation of opportunities natural features on preschool
      > >> playgrounds provide for play. So, for observing and
      operationalizing
      > >> play behaviors, I am using a modified play observation scale
      (Howes).
      > >> In terms of the natural environment of the playground however,
      I am