Re: EDRA sustainable school gardens proposal that got sent

  • Aydin Ozdemir
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 4, 2006
      Dear Forum Members,

      I have previously sent an abstract describing our research goals
      regarding School Garden Project to EDRA38 organizing commitee. For a
      follow-up, I asked them the status of my proposal. Here is the reply:

      "FROM JANICE---I do not have a form to go with the school gardens
      abstract and reading through the abstract I assumed it was a
      proposal for a paper not a workshop or an intensive. Which do you
      prefer? You will have a longer time slot (1/2 day or full day) if
      you are scheduled as an intensive. I will be sending an email to
      all workshop/working group/and symposia organizers in the next hour
      asking them to volunteer to be scheduled as an intensive because we
      would like to keep the number of sessions going at one time down to
      9 and we are running out of room. So, let me know what you prefer.

      I need an abstract for the workshop/intensive that includes a
      description of what you have planned. A series of papers?
      Activities? Discussion? I look forward to hearing from you."

      I assume a series of papers would be fine to prepare a proposal for
      an intensive. We may discuss our progress in a seperate session. I
      may prepare an abstract for the workshop/intensive. But I am not
      sure about the procedure.

      --- In cyef@yahoogroups.com, "Illene Pevec" <illene.pevec@...> wrote:

      > Dear all interested in school gardens,
      > Attached is the Abstract I submitted for a workshop on
      sustainability issues
      > regarding school gardens. As my earlier email, Tracy's and my
      intention with
      > this was to focus on all the sustainability issues and solutions
      that people
      > have discovered over a several year period of managing a site and
      programs
      > with school gardens.Given the huge amount of interest shown, if
      someone else
      > wants to write the second abstract needed for an intensive, I am
      sure we
      > have plenty of people besides those listed on this abstract who
      want to
      > participate.
      > Thanks. I didn't have time to do the extra piece of developing
      all that is
      > necessary to organize an intensive. We also just wanted some more
      time than
      > 15 minutes to present our own multi-faceted project that now has
      an 8 year
      > history and is being successfully managed by people other than the
      founders.
      > Look forward to meeting you all there, sharing experiences and
      learning from
      > your sites and programs.
      > Illene Pevec

    • Illène Pevec
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 4, 2006
        Hello to all interested in school garden initiatives at 2007 EDRA.
        When I put in a workshop proposal for EDRA for a
        workshop focused on Sustainability of school
        gardens, I heard from many more people that we
        could accommodate in a workshop, but now we are
        going to have an ALL-DAY intensive on Wednesday
        of EDRA. So that means that others can
        participate. This will not be a time for
        presenting research papers, but for addressing
        all the issues around design and implementation
        of school gardens that can keep them going
        through the years when the original movers and
        shakers move on to other places.

        I am about to leave town for a conference, so if
        people respond right away to express their
        interest in participating I may not be able to
        respond until next week which is finals week, so
        it may take me two weeks (sorry about this--I
        shall make an effort, but I know my schedule will
        be a bit nuts.). We can think of how we want to
        structure the Intensive day. Perhaps we could
        have a combination of presentations and projects
        with time to discuss what are the lessons from
        each project related to design and sustainability
        that we can all take home with us.

        This is a bonus for all of us who share these
        interests, so please send suggestions of how you
        want to participate and what structure might best
        serve us for hearing about/seeing presentations
        of each others work and learning with each other.
        Illène
        --

        Illène Pevec,
        PhD Student in Design and Planning
        Center for Children, Youth and Environment
        University of Colorado at Denver
        tel: 303-786-0916

        Mailing address:
        1191 Vitos Way
        Carbondale, CO 81623

        "Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it.
        Boldness has genius and power and magic in it. Begin it now!"
        Goethe
      • Debarati Majumdar
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 5, 2006
          Illene and others,

          Could we possibly visit some school gardens in the local area? Maybe look at "best practice" sites (assuming there are any in the area) as part of the activities of the intensive?

          I personally would like to present a case study of how one school set up a desert garden in their yard with help from the children and parents. It is exemplary in that it presents a case where collaborative efforts between teachers, parents and children have been able to overcome the general "fears" such gardens pose in most schools here in Arizona (it has REAL cacti!). Would this fit with your intended scheme for the workshop?

          Mimi

          Debarati Majumdar Narayan
          Doctoral Candidate
          Ph.D. Program in Environmental Design and Planning
          Arizona State University
          Ph: 480.727.6358

        • Illene Pevec
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 5, 2006
            Mimi,
            Great idea to have some visits. I shall also ask Janice if that could be one of the outings so they can organize it there.
            Would 20 minutes allow you sufficient time to present the Arizona garden?
            Thanks.
            Illene