Google pdf

  • lindemaximilian
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2006
      Hi,

      As you may have seen since 2 days or so Google has put out a heap of
      non-copyrighted books in pdf format. Unfortunately the files are -
      according to Google - highly compressed and therefore may not be read
      by all pdf readers. Surely enough they do not open in the Cybook pdf
      reader. Is there any way to decompress them so that we can read them on
      the Cybook?

      Peter
    • Chris Marriott
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2006
        > As you may have seen since 2 days or so Google has put out a heap of
        > non-copyrighted books in pdf format. Unfortunately the files are -
        > according to Google - highly compressed and therefore may not be read
        > by all pdf readers. Surely enough they do not open in the Cybook pdf
        > reader. Is there any way to decompress them so that we can read them on
        > the Cybook?

        Hi Peter,

        I'm not sure I see the point of trying to display the PDF files on the
        CyBook. All the out of copyright books made available by Google are, as far
        as I know, simply taken from Project Gutenberg. Why not just use the
        text/html versions of the books directly from PG? uBook displays such books
        beautifully.

        Regards,

        Chris
      • lindemaximilian
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2006
          --- In cybook@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Marriott" <chris@...> wrote:

          > Hi Peter,
          >
          > I'm not sure I see the point of trying to display the PDF files on
          the
          > CyBook. All the out of copyright books made available by Google
          are, as far
          > as I know, simply taken from Project Gutenberg. Why not just use
          the
          > text/html versions of the books directly from PG? uBook displays
          such books
          > beautifully.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Chris

          Hi Chris,
          What's made available by Google seems to be broader than what is in
          the Projekt Gutenberg. I, at least, have come across Google files in
          which they have scanned some 60 volumes of a Goethe edition of 1827
          (he was still alive!) from the University of Mischigan. Although the
          scans are sometimes lousy (pages distorted, borders cut off et.) the
          material is quite unique and goes much beyond what is in PG.

          Best wishes
          Peter
        • Chris Marriott
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 2, 2006
            > What's made available by Google seems to be broader than what is in
            > the Projekt Gutenberg. I, at least, have come across Google files in
            > which they have scanned some 60 volumes of a Goethe edition of 1827
            > (he was still alive!) from the University of Mischigan. Although the
            > scans are sometimes lousy (pages distorted, borders cut off et.) the
            > material is quite unique and goes much beyond what is in PG.

            Thanks, Peter; I wasn't aware of that!

            Regards,

            Chris