Re: [cybook] Re: Ambicom and Network Set Up

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 24 , May 1 2:46 AM
      Hello again,

      Since I'm the one who started this Ambicom discussion, let me amplify since I found the problem. When I open the Ambicom "program" icon in my programs file, I see that it is connected to one of two networks on my desktop and through my router and I need to change it to the other one. Enabling and disabling network connections is the problem. I can't figure out how to do it on the Cybook whereas on the desktop it's very simple, of course. Anybody have any ideas?

      Richard
      Message 2 of 24 , May 1 3:33 AM
        Hello again from Richard,

        Here's some additional information. When I do a soft reset, I get an error message saying "cannot find Wceload." Is this part of the problem and if so, what does one do about it?

        Thanks everyone.

        Richard
        thanks Ellen.. i`m sure we all appreciate all the hardwork you put into this group ...

        best regards
        rav
        > I strongly support Rav's suggestion to put these intructions into the
        > FAQ . But there should be a claear distinction of what needs to be
        done
        > if  (a) one has bought the WiFi card from Bookeen (i.e. to acces a
        > secure network) and (b) one wants to use a non-Bookeen card. The
        problem
        > with MSG 177 is that too many things are mixed up.
        >
        > Peter

        Peter,

        I will add to the FAQs.  I left it out before for the same statement
        that you made...that there is a lot of mixed in stuff.  Maybe I can
        modify or at least simplify the process.

        My experience with the CF wifi card is this:

        At first my home network was unsecure, so it was relatively simple to
        connect following the directions in the manual.  Since I was the one
        that set up my wifi network, I already knew how it was configured.
        I'm thinking that everyone may not have the same setup.

        Once I went secure, that was when MSG#177 came into play.  Along with
        the regular configuration I had to go in and make some of the changes
        that Raphael had suggested although he was referring to configuration
        with CF cards other than ambicom.

        At any rate, I'll go back and try to retrace my steps and write it all
        down.

        Also as an end note, I plan to have the next FAQs draft update by the
        end of the week, so if anyone has anything they want added please let
        me know.

        Ellen

      • rem736
        Message 3 of 24 , May 1 12:16 PM
          i just got my cybook a couple of weeks ago and in START:PROGRAMS
          clicked on the Wi-Fi WL1100 icon. did the wi-fi configuration there
          just like i would do on a desktop. it did ask that i remove and
          reinsert the wi-fi card to finalize the settings, however.

          i didn't have to go thru the registry at all.

          hue

          --- In cybook@yahoogroups.com, "Richard" <astro@...> wrote:

          > Hello again,
          >
          > Since I'm the one who started this Ambicom discussion, let me
          amplify since I found the problem. When I open the Ambicom "program"
          icon in my programs file, I see that it is connected to one of two
          networks on my desktop and through my router and I need to change it
          to the other one. Enabling and disabling network connections is the
          problem. I can't figure out how to do it on the Cybook whereas on the
          desktop it's very simple, of course. Anybody have any ideas?

          > Richard

        • eniage
          Message 4 of 24 , May 1 12:58 PM
            --- In cybook@yahoogroups.com, "rem736" <rem736@...> wrote:

            > i just got my cybook a couple of weeks ago and in START:PROGRAMS
            > clicked on the Wi-Fi WL1100 icon. did the wi-fi configuration
            there
            > just like i would do on a desktop. it did ask that i remove and
            > reinsert the wi-fi card to finalize the settings, however.
            >
            > i didn't have to go thru the registry at all.
            >
            > hue

            Hue,

            Glad to hear this. Could you tell me if you have a secure network.
            I think I had to go into my registry because of my secure network
            and how it is set up. Thanks, and please let me know also what type
            of router in addition to whether it is a secure or unsecure network.

            Ellen
          • rem736
            Message 5 of 24 , May 1 1:24 PM
              my wireless network is secured with wep128 i'm not sure if it is
              capable of doing wpa.

              hue

              --- In cybook@yahoogroups.com, "eniage" <ehage@...> wrote:

              > --- In cybook@yahoogroups.com, "rem736" <rem736@> wrote:
              > >
              > > i just got my cybook a couple of weeks ago and in START:PROGRAMS
              > > clicked on the Wi-Fi WL1100 icon. did the wi-fi configuration
              > there
              > > just like i would do on a desktop. it did ask that i remove and
              > > reinsert the wi-fi card to finalize the settings, however.
              > >
              > > i didn't have to go thru the registry at all.
              > >
              > > hue
              > >

              > Hue,
              >
              > Glad to hear this. Could you tell me if you have a secure network.
              > I think I had to go into my registry because of my secure network
              > and how it is set up. Thanks, and please let me know also what type
              > of router in addition to whether it is a secure or unsecure network.
              >
              > Ellen

            • Richard
              Message 6 of 24 , May 2 7:01 AM
                Hello,

                Has anyone done a hard reset? If so, does it wipe out all of the programs on
                the Cybook (pocket word, the Ambicom drivers, etc???). I'm having trouble
                with something called Wceload and think a hard reset may be in order, but I
                don't want to wipe everything out that's on the Cybook.

                Thanks in advance for any responses!!

                Richard
                > my wireless network is secured with wep128 i'm not sure if it is
                > capable of doing wpa.
                >
                > hue
                >
                > --- In cybook@yahoogroups.com, "eniage" <ehage@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> --- In cybook@yahoogroups.com, "rem736" <rem736@> wrote:
                >> >
                >> > i just got my cybook a couple of weeks ago and in START:PROGRAMS
                >> > clicked on the Wi-Fi WL1100 icon. did the wi-fi configuration
                >> there
                >> > just like i would do on a desktop. it did ask that i remove and
                >> > reinsert the wi-fi card to finalize the settings, however.
                >> >
                >> > i didn't have to go thru the registry at all.
                >> >
                >> > hue
                >> >

                >> Hue,
                >>
                >> Glad to hear this. Could you tell me if you have a secure network.
                >> I think I had to go into my registry because of my secure network
                >> and how it is set up. Thanks, and please let me know also what type
                >> of router in addition to whether it is a secure or unsecure network.
                >>
                >> Ellen
                >>

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Chris Marriott
                Message 7 of 24 , May 2 7:20 AM
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 2 12:02 PM
                    Chris,

                    I did the hard reset and it worked as you said it would. But now when I try
                    to connect to my network, it insists on dailing an isp and the network icon
                    in the task bar turns into three little phones. Ideas??? This is
                    frustrating. I have tried to configure the card, but it seem to do no good.

                    Richard
                    >> Has anyone done a hard reset? If so, does it wipe out all of the programs
                    >> on
                    >> the Cybook (pocket word, the Ambicom drivers, etc???). I'm having trouble
                    >> with something called Wceload and think a hard reset may be in order, but
                    >> don't want to wipe everything out that's on the Cybook.
                    >>

                    > You lose all your data, but all the applications are reloaded from the
                    > machine's ROM. If you find that there are applications that you don't use,
                    > hard reset is a good idea, because it allows you to select which
                    > applications you want to reinstall (say "No" to the "Preserve your
                    > previous
                    > settings?" question following the reboot), and by choosing not to install
                    > some applications you can significantly increase the amount of RAM
                    > available
                    > for storing files.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > Chris
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • rem736
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 2 3:54 PM
                      there is an option in the internet explorer that you should check.
                      opent up internet explorer. under the view menu, choose internet
                      options. then make sure that the box "use lan (no autodial)" is checked.

                    • Chris Marriott
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 2 11:41 PM
                        Quoting Richard <astro@...>:

                        > Chris,
                        >
                        > I did the hard reset and it worked as you said it would. But now when I try
                        > to connect to my network, it insists on dailing an isp and the network icon
                        > in the task bar turns into three little phones. Ideas??? This is
                        > frustrating. I have tried to configure the card, but it seem to do no good.

                        I'm sorry, Richard, but I've no idea about that one. I wonder if perhaps the
                        applications might not have reloaded successfully after the reset? All I can
                        really suggest is trying another hard reset. Sorry that I can't offer any more
                        helpful advice.

                        Regards,

                        Chris
                      • Richard
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 3 4:08 AM
                          Hue,

                          That did it.....thanks so very much. It's the simple things that inevitably
                          get you!!!

                          Richard
                          > there is an option in the internet explorer that you should check.
                          > opent up internet explorer. under the view menu, choose internet
                          > options. then make sure that the box "use lan (no autodial)" is checked.
                          >
                          > hue
                          >
                          > --- In cybook@yahoogroups.com, "Richard" <astro@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> Chris,
                          >>
                          >> I did the hard reset and it worked as you said it would. But now
                          > when I try
                          >> to connect to my network, it insists on dailing an isp and the
                          > network icon
                          >> in the task bar turns into three little phones. Ideas??? This is
                          >> frustrating. I have tried to configure the card, but it seem to do
                          > no good.
                          >>

                          >> Richard

                        • Richard
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 3 4:09 AM
                            Thanks anyway, Chris. Actually Hue solved it for me. There's an item in
                            internet explorer under the view menu where you can specify you want to use
                            a "lan" connection only. Works like a charm!!

                            Best wishes,

                            Richard
                            >> I did the hard reset and it worked as you said it would. But now when I
                            >> try
                            >> to connect to my network, it insists on dailing an isp and the network
                            >> icon
                            >> in the task bar turns into three little phones. Ideas??? This is
                            >> frustrating. I have tried to configure the card, but it seem to do no
                            >> good.
                            >>

                            > I'm sorry, Richard, but I've no idea about that one. I wonder if perhaps
                            > the
                            > applications might not have reloaded successfully after the reset? All I
                            > can
                            > really suggest is trying another hard reset. Sorry that I can't offer any
                            > more
                            > helpful advice.
                            >
                            > Regards,
                            >
                            > Chris