Re: [cybook] I'm confused again about reading formats

  • Chris Marriott
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 1, 2006
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Richard" <astro@...>
      To: <cybook@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, April 01, 2006 12:33 AM
      Subject: Re: [cybook] I'm confused again about reading formats

      > Ruff,
      >
      > Very good question....I love my Cybook as well, but the choices on the Ubi
      > and Mobi sites are hardly ideal as opposed to other sites that use
      > Microsfot
      > Reader and Adobe. Let me know if you get any good answers.

      I see the problem. Personally I'm not bothered because I don't use
      commercial e-books, other than the open-format SF ones sold by Baen; the
      others, I create myself. There's a virtually limitless supply of reading
      matter out there in the public domain.

      Regards,

      Chris
    • christel Pierson
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 1, 2006
        Chris!

        If you pick a book from Baen, what format do you then
        choose for reading it in the Mobipocket reader?

        I'm afraid I like the Microsoft format, but since that
        is going to do me no good with the Cybook, what then?

        I'm going to have my new Cybook by Thursday, I hope,
        so I want to prepare myself.

        Christel

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Chris Marriott
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 1, 2006
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 1, 2006
            Thanks for your reply - which I read aloud to my
            husband, who commented: "Very unfortunate !" :-)

            Regards, Christel - looking forward to trying out the
            Cybook

            --- Chris Marriott <chris@...> wrote:

> [...]

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • eniage
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 1, 2006
              --- In cybook@yahoogroups.com, "Ruff" <krugie@...> wrote:

              > I know you all have explained this to me before, but are there any
              > other ebook formats we can use on our Cybooks besides the "Boo",
              the
              > "Ubi", and the "Mobi"? I love, love, love my Cybook which makes
              > reading for me SO much easier because of my ability to manipulate
              the
              > text size, color, etc. However, I'm getting frustrated at not
              being
              > able to get more "contemporary literature" titles. It seems that
              > probably 50% of the titles I'd like to read that are in ebook
              format
              > are either for Microsoft Reader and/or Adobe. Am I mistaken that
              we
              > can't download these readers onto our Cybooks?
              >
              > Help me here, please. Do I need to start lobbying publishers?!?!?!
              >
              > Also, how do you all clean your screens? Are the same wipes that I
              > use for my laptop OK?
              >
              > Thanks as always.

              Some people use the Convertlit GUI since it is easier than using the
              command prompt. here is the link:
              http://dukelupus.pri.ee/convertlit.php

              Others use ABC Amber Convert lit. A new version came out, I don't
              know if it is as reliable as the older version. I would be
              interested in knowing if the program is stable. Here's the link:
              http://www.thebeatlesforever.com/processtext/abclit.html

              Once it is converted you can then keep as html, txt, etc. or use the
              mobipulisher to put it in mobipocket format.

              Bookdesigner 4.0 lets you format books for palm, rocketbooks,
              hiebook and gemstar.

              I tell ya it does take some time and work. Not much and after you
              get the hang of it it's not bad.

              The thing is these programs are meant for fair use. So people
              should only use to convert books that they bought and not to be
              distributed.
            • christel Pierson
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 1, 2006
                Does anybody know what font is used in the Microsoft
                Reader? I'm trying to create the same background
                colour and font in the Mobi, but I can get neither
                right. The Mobi is much more flexible, since it is
                possible to choose any font and colour, which isn't
                the case in the MR, but I like the default in the MR
                and would like to use it in the Mobi.

                I haven't tried the Mu reader yet, as I didn't want to
                venture a download from the Softpedia site. I'll look
                at that reader when I get my Cybook.

                Christel

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • lindemaximilian
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 1, 2006
                  Hello Chris,

                  you say that you prefer the ubook reader to mobipocket. So do I in
                  principle but reading books in several different languages forces me to
                  use the look-up and/or translate functions quite a bit. I found
                  appropriate dictionaries and encyclopedia only on Mobipocket. Do you or
                  anybodyelse in the group know where I could find dictionaries in one of
                  the formats excepted by the ubook reader? The one which comes with the
                  ubook reader on the Cybook is ridicuosly rudimentary.

                  thanks

                  Peter

                  --- In cybook@yahoogroups.com, christel Pierson <christel_pierson@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Thanks for your reply - which I read aloud to my
                  > husband, who commented: "Very unfortunate !" :-)
                  >
                  > Regards, Christel - looking forward to trying out the
                  > Cybook

                • Christel Pierson
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 1, 2006
                    <christel_pierson@...> wrote:

                    > Does anybody know what font is used in the Microsoft
                    > Reader?

                    I finally decided that it is Berling Antiqua, but I still can't get
                    the margins and the font size just right. Microsoft probably spent a
                    little more time on getting their layout right than I want to :-)

                    By the way, wading through all the many hundred messages in the
                    Group Forum on the internet I noticed that there was a mention of a
                    FAQ list for the Cybook. That is a really good idea. I forwarded
                    some of the messages that seemed to hold good technical info to my
                    mail box, but they never reached it. I should have copied the
                    content instead. Now I can start all over.

                    Perhaps we can agree on some main issues and then try to put them in
                    a FAQ sheet.

                    Christel
                  • Jay Erskine
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 1, 2006

                      Hi folks – I wanted to send out a link to this converter for MS Reader books.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 1, 2006
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 1, 2006
                          I don't find the Amber Convert Lit does a very good job.  My files need too much editing afterwards.

                          I much prefer this one:

                          Which is very easy to use and gives a better result because it retains formatting from the original document.

                          Sylvia

                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 1, 2006
                            <christel_pierson@...> wrote:
                            > By the way, wading through all the many hundred messages in the
                            > Group Forum on the internet I noticed that there was a mention of a
                            > FAQ list for the Cybook. That is a really good idea. I forwarded
                            > some of the messages that seemed to hold good technical info to my
                            > mail box, but they never reached it. I should have copied the
                            > content instead. Now I can start all over.
                            >
                            > Perhaps we can agree on some main issues and then try to put them in
                            > a FAQ sheet.
                            >
                            > Christel

                            I was the one that suggested a FAQ too reduce redundancy. The group
                            was rather small then, and few people thought it a goog idea. Since I
                            have more time these days, I will go ahead and finish the first
                            draft. Again any input, suggestions anyone has would be great. I
                            would request that if it comes from a post, please give me the msg#

                            Ellen Hage
                          • Chris Marriott
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 1, 2006
                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 7, 2006
                                Sorry I haven't had time to pick up on all your good ideas until now.
                                As always, you all have been very helpful.

                                Of course, now I have more questions. So, if I download some ebooks
                                for other formats, I then run them through these converter programs on
                                my laptop and then open them in one of my readers on my Cybook?
                                Again, please let me know the best formats to use.

                                I'm usually not this dense, but I'm having a little trouble figuring
                                out the best method here.

                                Again, thanks for all your help.

                                --- In cybook@yahoogroups.com, "eniage" <ehage@...> wrote:

                                > --- In cybook@yahoogroups.com, "Ruff" <krugie@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I know you all have explained this to me before, but are there any
                                > > other ebook formats we can use on our Cybooks besides the "Boo",
                                > the
                                > > "Ubi", and the "Mobi"? I love, love, love my Cybook which makes
                                > > reading for me SO much easier because of my ability to manipulate
                                > the
                                > > text size, color, etc. However, I'm getting frustrated at not
                                > being
                                > > able to get more "contemporary literature" titles. It seems that
                                > > probably 50% of the titles I'd like to read that are in ebook
                                > format
                                > > are either for Microsoft Reader and/or Adobe. Am I mistaken that
                                > we
                                > > can't download these readers onto our Cybooks?
                                > >
                                > > Help me here, please. Do I need to start lobbying publishers?!?!?!
                                > >
                                > > Also, how do you all clean your screens? Are the same wipes that I
                                > > use for my laptop OK?
                                > >
                                > > Thanks as always.
                                >
                                > Some people use the Convertlit GUI since it is easier than using the
                                > command prompt. here is the link:
                                > http://dukelupus.pri.ee/convertlit.php
                                >
                                > Others use ABC Amber Convert lit. A new version came out, I don't
                                > know if it is as reliable as the older version. I would be
                                > interested in knowing if the program is stable. Here's the link:
                                > http://www.thebeatlesforever.com/processtext/abclit.html
                                >
                                > Once it is converted you can then keep as html, txt, etc. or use the
                                > mobipulisher to put it in mobipocket format.
                                >
                                > Bookdesigner 4.0 lets you format books for palm, rocketbooks,
                                > hiebook and gemstar.
                                >
                                > I tell ya it does take some time and work. Not much and after you
                                > get the hang of it it's not bad.
                                >
                                > The thing is these programs are meant for fair use. So people
                                > should only use to convert books that they bought and not to be
                                > distributed.

                              • Studious Suki
                                Message 15 of 17 , May 14, 2008
                                  I've been using MobiCreator to change non-DRM pdf files into
                                  MobiPocket for my Cybook. BooksOnBoard has a bunch of free ebooks
                                  that I've been downloading, converting, and reading them on the go
                                  (https://www.booksonboard.com/index.php?F=FreeandGreen_ebooks). It's
                                  a good program.