Re: [cybook] [Bookeen] Cybook New Firmware Upgrade (155 US)

  • bertrand geoffray
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 16, 2005
      ok thank you
      IT DOES NOT WORK
      could you help me?
      BG

      bertrand geoffray <bgeoffray@...> wrote:
      unfortunately the firmware is not available.
      What should I do?
      BG

      Laurent Picard <bookeen_lp@...> wrote:
      Dear Cybook owners,

      Bookeen has the pleasure to announce the release of a new Cybook automated firmware upgrade.

      This utility will allow you to automatically install the newest Cybook operating system version (build 155 US). With this upgrade, you will benefit from our latest features and software versions.

      We wish you very happy holidays and, as always, a great e-reading experience.

      With our best regards,
      Bookeen Team

      Bookeen - www.bookeen.com
      Ubibooks – www.ubibooks.com

      A. Identification

      - Version:
      Build 155 US
      - Date:
      December 16, 2005
      - File name:
      “2005-12-16 (155 US) cybUpgrade.exe”
      - File size:
      10 654 208 bytes

      B. What’s New?

      - PDF Viewer:
      New! Latest version (beta 3) embedded
      - µBook Reader:
      Latest version (0.9f)
      English, French, German, Spanish, Italian & Hungarian user interfaces
      Many different improvements (TXT, RTF, HTML, PML, PDB, PRC (non-secure), CHM & RB - PDF raw text extraction – ZIP archives - JPG, GIF, PNG, WMF, BMP)
      - Internet Explorer:
      New user interface (+favorite web site management)
      - ActiveSync:
      New! Possibility to browse the web from the Cybook with the USB cable connected to an online PC
      - Pocket Inbox:
      Issue with attachments fixed
      - Wi-Fi:
      Ambicom WL1100 driver automatically installed if checked
      - Network:
      New taskbar icon when network connectivity cannot be established
      - PCMCIA:
      Larger transfer bandwidth for storage cards
      Faster recognition and loading
      Issue with some non recognized large capacity (or very fast) CF cards fixed
      Issue with some non fully powered down cards fixed
      - USB:
      Faster upload speed (PC -> Cybook transfers)
      Sensibility to PC noise diminished
      Issue with some startup failing connection fixed
      - Video:
      Always faster video driver

      C. Where to download?
      -         Go to www.bookeen.com, “Community”, “Downloads”.
      -         Log in and download the archive file (“2005-12-16 (155 US) cybUpgrade.zip”) on your computer.

      D. Upgrade procedure

      -         Cautiously follow this procedure as it is a sensitive process (the equivalent of flashing a BIOS update on a PC).
      -         Extract the firmware upgrade program (“2005-12-16 (155 US) cybUpgrade.exe”) from the archive and copy it on your storage card.
      -         Plug your Cybook onto AC power (keep it on power during the upgrade).
      -         If needed, save the documents present on your Cybook (a hard reset will be processed at the end of the procedure).
      -         Insert the storage card into the Cybook’s PCMCIA slot, open the <Storage Card> directory and double click on the upgrade file.
      -         Follow the on-screen instructions.
      -         Once launched, the whole process takes a few minutes during which your Cybook’s internal flash memory is updated.
      -         Watch out: if ever an error occurs during the process, please carefully note the corresponding message and report back to Bookeen. This should not happen but – should it happen – keep your Cybook on power (you can switch it off) and do not reset or hard-reset your Cybook until you have achieved a successful upgrade.
      -         Once the upgrade is successfully completed, validate; a hard-reset will be processed.
      -         During the hard-reset, answer “No” to the “Do you want to keep your previous administration settings?” question. The “Welcome” wizard will allow you to specify additional programs to be installed.

      Texte envoyé par Bertrand Geoffray
      Adresse: bgeoffray@...
      Fax: 04 93 87 59 87
      Tel: 0663691910 ou 0493881946
      18 rue Gounod
      06000 Nice

      Texte envoyé par Bertrand Geoffray
      Adresse: bgeoffray@...
      Fax: 04 93 87 59 87
      Tel: 0663691910 ou 0493881946
      18 rue Gounod
      06000 Nice
    • Gautier Beurnier
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 16, 2005
        Hi everyone,

        a couple of questions:

        What changes does the new firmware bring to the table,
        if any?

        Has anyone tried the PDF viewer beta 3 version? any
        comments?

        Thanks

        Gautier

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Simon North
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 16, 2005
          Gautier,

          I haven't yet had time to notice any real changes in the firmware update,
          but I am very happy with the PDF viewer beta 3. The speed is noticeably
          improved and the display is generally much better.

          My upgrade didn't install the PDF viewer, I had to do that manually.
          (I renamed your .exe to .zip and then extracted with .CAB file.)
          Is this normal, or did I miss something?

          Simon North.
        • Jaapjan Tinbergen
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 16, 2005
            Message
            This is not much of an arguement. Yes, the cybook was designed as a book reader. Heck, the Nokia 770 was designed as a web browse tool. That does not mean it cannot be used for any other things, nor does it mean we shouldn't try using it for more then reading. It took only a week or two before the nokia 770 had a book reader application.

            I for one was one of the original people having an interest in seeing linux on the cybook. I send several mails about it back then. However, to date Bookeen/cybook have not provided any information needed to get linux onto it. Back then the reason was, from the top of my head, they needed to sort the information they had into something useful before publishing it.

            Obviously, they have not had enough time to do that in the past year. As for bookeen rebuilding a lot of applications, that is wonderful. Really. Off course, many of those are already available on linux and probably more mature. I think that is a bad arguement as well.

            Kind regards,

            J.Tinbergen

            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 16, 2005
              --- In cybook@yahoogroups.com, "Simon North" <sintac@x...> wrote:

              > Gautier,
              >
              > My upgrade didn't install the PDF viewer, I had to do that manually.
              > (I renamed your .exe to .zip and then extracted with .CAB file.)
              > Is this normal, or did I miss something?
              >
              > Simon North.

              Just after the reboot, the list of softwares to install is displayed.
              By default, contrary the the other softwares, the pdf viewer is not
              checked as to be installed. You need to check it by yourself.
            • Simon North
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 16, 2005
                On 16 Dec 2005 at 22:17, spi0100 wrote:

                > Just after the reboot, the list of softwares to install is displayed.
                > By default, contrary the the other softwares, the pdf viewer is not
                > checked as to be installed. You need to check it by yourself.

                After reboot it went straight to the desktop screen; I never saw an installation
                dialog. Should I go back and install the other packages?

                Simon. --
                "As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more
                closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain
                folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be
                adorned by a downright moron."
                H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
              • lmaass@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 16, 2005
                  Mine did the same thing.  I wasn't paying attention to it and it automatically bypassed it when I didn't press Yes or No.

                  Reboot the Cybook again by going into Settings, Control Panel, Cybook and click on the Reset tab.  Choose hard reset and keep an eye on it until it totally finishes.  You should see the screen where it asks you to keep the old admin settings.  Say No, and you should then be able to select the PDF reader.

                  Leann

                  From: "Simon North" <sintac@...>
                  On 16 Dec 2005 at 22:17, spi0100 wrote:

                  > Just after the reboot, the list of softwares to install is displayed.
                  > By default, contrary the the other softwares, the pdf viewer is not
                  > checked as to be installed. You need to check it by yourself.

                  After reboot it went straight to the desktop screen; I never saw an installation
                  dialog. Should I go back and install the other packages?

                  Simon. --
                  "As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more
                  closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain
                  folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be
                  adorned by a downright moron."
                  H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)

                • Larry
                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 27, 2005

                    Finally decided to update my cybook once I finished the book I was currently reading, but I can’t find the file.  I went to bookeen, community and downloads.  I logged in, but there is no archive.  The only files available are the French and English default firmware dated 2004, PDF beta 3, bibliacard, userguide and the SDK.  I even looked in the file section on the Yahoo group site.  Was this update pulled?

                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 28, 2005
                      Hi,
                      Look at here http://www.bookeen.com/Community/Downloads.aspx?
                      selectionm=3

                      --- In cybook@yahoogroups.com, Larry <pitch23@o...> wrote:

                      > Finally decided to update my cybook once I finished the book I was
                      > currently reading, but I can't find the file. I went to bookeen,
                      > community and downloads. I logged in, but there is no archive.
                      The
                      > only files available are the French and English default firmware
                      dated
                      > 2004, PDF beta 3, bibliacard, userguide and the SDK. I even
                      looked in
                      > the file section on the Yahoo group site. Was this update pulled?

                      Behalf

                      www.bookeen.com, "Community",
                      > "Downloads".
                      > - Log in and download the archive file ("2005-12-16 (155
                      US)
                      > cybUpgrade.zip") on your computer.
                      >
                      > D. Upgrade procedure
                      >
                      > - Cautiously follow this procedure as it is a sensitive
                      process
                      > (the equivalent of flashing a BIOS update on a PC).
                      > - Extract the firmware upgrade program ("2005-12-16 (155
                      US)
                      > cybUpgrade.exe") from the archive and copy it on your storage card.
                      > - Plug your Cybook onto AC power (keep it on power during
                      the
                      > upgrade).
                      > - If needed, save the documents present on your Cybook (a
                      hard
                      > reset will be processed at the end of the procedure).
                      > - Insert the storage card into the Cybook's PCMCIA slot,
                      open
                      > the <Storage Card> directory and double click on the upgrade file.
                      > - Follow the on-screen instructions.
                      > - Once launched, the whole process takes a few minutes
                      during
                      > which your Cybook's internal flash memory is updated.
                      > - Watch out: if ever an error occurs during the process,
                      please
                      > carefully note the corresponding message and report back to
                      Bookeen.
                      > This should not happen but – should it happen – keep your Cybook on
                      > power (you can switch it off) and do not reset or hard-reset your
                      Cybook
                      > until you have achieved a successful upgrade.
                      > - Once the upgrade is successfully completed, validate; a
                      > hard-reset will be processed.
                      > - During the hard-reset, answer "No" to the "Do you want
                      to keep
                      > your previous administration settings?" question. The "Welcome"
                      wizard
                      > will allow you to specify additional programs to be installed.

                      > Book
                      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                      t=ms&k=Book+self+publishing&w1=Book+self+p

                      ublishing&w2=Book+publishing&w3=Book+publishing+company&w4=Print+on+d
                      ema

                      nd+book+publishing&w5=Self+publishing+book+company&w6=Book+on+demand+
                      pub
                      > lishing&c=6&s=178&.sig=lg2yV68suUR1gKdNo_gGbg> self publishing
                      > Book
                      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                      t=ms&k=Book+publishing&w1=Book+self+publis

                      hing&w2=Book+publishing&w3=Book+publishing+company&w4=Print+on+demand
                      +bo

                      ok+publishing&w5=Self+publishing+book+company&w6=Book+on+demand+publi
                      shi
                      > ng&c=6&s=178&.sig=gQ5qPkxUOzX3y1mJyYUp_w> publishing
                      > Book
                      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                      t=ms&k=Book+publishing+company&w1=Book+sel

                      f+publishing&w2=Book+publishing&w3=Book+publishing+company&w4=Print+o
                      n+d

                      emand+book+publishing&w5=Self+publishing+book+company&w6=Book+on+dema
                      nd+
                      > publishing&c=6&s=178&.sig=rZko-oFinjBdepA7OUXhHQ> publishing
                      company

                      > Print
                      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                      t=ms&k=Print+on+demand+book+publishing&w1=

                      Book+self+publishing&w2=Book+publishing&w3=Book+publishing+company&w4
                      =Pr

                      int+on+demand+book+publishing&w5=Self+publishing+book+company&w6=Book
                      +on
                      > +demand+publishing&c=6&s=178&.sig=I3oEE10wntyXUDsevu2jEw> on
                      demand
                      > book publishing
                      > Self
                      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                      t=ms&k=Self+publishing+book+company&w1=Boo

                      k+self+publishing&w2=Book+publishing&w3=Book+publishing+company&w4=Pr
                      int

                      +on+demand+book+publishing&w5=Self+publishing+book+company&w6=Book+on
                      +de
                      > mand+publishing&c=6&s=178&.sig=4JEcP7KPz_pCe4RyswQPzg> publishing
                      book
                      > company
                      > Book
                      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                      t=ms&k=Book+on+demand+publishing&w1=Book+s

                      elf+publishing&w2=Book+publishing&w3=Book+publishing+company&w4=Print
                      +on

                      +demand+book+publishing&w5=Self+publishing+book+company&w6=Book+on+de
                      man
                      > d+publishing&c=6&s=178&.sig=vQm0dmtWZZzo-LiL4lGuGA> on demand
                      > publishing
                      >
                      > _____
                      >
                      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                      >
                      > * Visit your group "cybook
                      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cybook> " on the web.

                      Terms of

                      > _____

                    • Larry
                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 28, 2005

                        That didn’t work.  It still takes me to the download page where the only available English firmware is version 149.  I don’t see version 155 anywhere and I tried on both IE and Firefox.

                        > Finally decided to update my cybook once I finished the book I was
                        > currently reading, but I can't find the file.  I went to bookeen,
                        > community and downloads.  I logged in, but there is no archive.
                        The
                        > only files available are the French and English default firmware
                        dated
                        > 2004, PDF beta 3, bibliacard, userguide and the SDK.  I even
                        looked in
                        > the file section on the Yahoo group site.  Was this update pulled?

                        Terms of

                        >   _____

                      • neaknok
                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 28, 2005
                          Hello Larry,

                          did you log in? If not it might be helpful to identify yourself in the
                          shop area. Then the downloadlink should be available in the
                          downloadarea. At least this made a difference in my case.

                          good luck

                          Karl

                        • Larry
                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 28, 2005

                            Thanks, but I tried what you recommended and still have no luck.  It said Welcome <My name> after logging in, but when I went to community then downloads, there was no new firmware there.  I am attaching a screenshot of the page I am seeing.

                            did you log in? If not it might be helpful to identify yourself in the
                            shop area. Then the downloadlink should be available in the
                            downloadarea. At least this made a difference in my case.

                            good luck

                            Karl

                            --- In cybook@yahoogroups.com, Larry <pitch23@o...> wrote:

                            > That didn't work.  It still takes me to the download page where the only
                            > available English firmware is version 149.  I don't see version 155
                            > anywhere and I tried on both IE and Firefox.

                          • Karen Scott
                            Message 13 of 22 , Dec 28, 2005
                              I can't see the upgrade file either -- Same experience as Larry. The
                              only available file is the 2004 firmware (version 149). Does anyone
                              know if/why the file was pulled?

                              K.

                              --- In cybook@yahoogroups.com, Larry <pitch23@o...> wrote:

                              > Thanks, but I tried what you recommended and still have no luck.
                              It
                              > said Welcome <My name> after logging in, but when I went to
                              community
                              > then downloads, there was no new firmware there. I am attaching a
                              > screenshot of the page I am seeing.

                            • George
                              Message 14 of 22 , Dec 29, 2005
                                Karen; I believe the version 155 was pulled because it was
                                unstable. They put the default version 149 back online while they
                                work out the bugs.
                                --- In cybook@yahoogroups.com, "Karen Scott" <scottk@a...> wrote:

                                > I can't see the upgrade file either -- Same experience as Larry.
                                The
                                > only available file is the 2004 firmware (version 149). Does
                                anyone
                                > know if/why the file was pulled?
                                >
                                > K.
                                >
                                > --- In cybook@yahoogroups.com, Larry <pitch23@o...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Thanks, but I tried what you recommended and still have no
                                luck.
                                > It
                                > > said Welcome <My name> after logging in, but when I went to
                                > community
                                > > then downloads, there was no new firmware there. I am attaching
                                > > screenshot of the page I am seeing.

                              • Claudiu Chis
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 30, 2006
                                  It looks like you need a bit of power here ...

                                  You might want to check this out:

                                  http://shop.5click.com/evstore/product.cfm?ProductID=4

                                  It's a tablet PC with a battery that can provide 12 to 16 hours of
                                  runtime. Comparing with Cybook (max 3 hours) it does much better.
                                  It's true that it has a tag price of $1099, which in fact is not that
                                  bad for a tablet pc with this spec.

                                  Regarding, Linux, I know that Lycoris released a TabletPC version.
                                  You might want to check it out:

                                  http://lycoris.com/press/tablet.php

                                  --- In cybook@yahoogroups.com, "marceloresegue" <marceloresegue@g...>