A few observations.

  • P. de Groot
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
      "Your transaction has been recorded".

      I ordered 2 Cybooks about a week ago over the internet and promptly
      received them 2 days later on my doorstep in the Netherlands.
      (Netherlands? tiny wet piece of land, to the right of Great Britain?
      Well never mind.)
      Well done! Two greybrown boxes stuffed with high tech.
      A CyBook, cables and stuff, complimentary memorycard -hey thanks!!-
      and a wireless kind of modem thingummy.
      Yes!!

      "Dozvedanja tovaritzj".

      There are two kinds of people.
      The kind that unpacks, checks if everything is in order and then sit
      down to read the manual before trying to switch on anything.
      And then there's me, the kind thats starts drooling and pressing
      buttons at the same time.
      You can meet my kind in all sorts of interesting places, like
      Chernobyl.
      The first thing we do is press the on/off switch and take a step back
      to see what pyrotechnics are going to happen.
      Yes...well, the on/off switch.
      Bit of a problem that.
      On a device roughly the size of a moderate battlecruiser you'd expect
      a button you can hit with two fists.
      Nope.
      The on/off switch is a tiny nailbreaking little bugger the size of an
      ants ah...leg and it is well hidden on top of the Cybook.
      There is no way that you'll accidentally switch on your Cybook.

      The rest of the buttons are all well placed.
      Page forward, page back.
      And wo buttons whose only purpose is -according to the manual- to
      "achieve specific actions".
      When I pressed one, the doorbell rang and my sandwich fell on the
      floor buttered side up.
      This may have been a coincidence but then again..

      "Let the sun shine."

      Before this cybook I owned a nice oldfashioned REB, the Shermantank
      amongst the e-book readers and after that an HiEbook which is more of
      a modest volkswagen in comparison.
      The Cybook compared to those two is more like a Bentley with all the
      trimmings, racing stripes, a chauffeur, sunroof and a fridge.
      Strangely enough all those extra's are also its weakness.
      If you own a car with a sunroof you'll be playing with it -usually
      while waiting for a traficlight- if only to impress your less
      fortunate neighbour who only has sunglasses.
      And that is exactly what I did.

      In no time I was internetting, downloading en sending out email and
      watching the wonders of the world wide web in full colour.
      It was all huge fun.
      Until the sunroof got stuck and the rain and thunder started.
      My particulair sunroof is called ActiveSync.
      It has developed a small problem.
      It doesn't work.
      At all.
      Not in any way.

      I have tried everythig.
      Older versions, updating all kinds of drivers, restarting more times
      than I can remember, reading through thousands of pages helpfiles,
      sticking pins in voodoo dolls of Bill Gates.
      Nothing helps. (Well, sticking those pins was stress relieving)
      This is not the worst of it.
      Remember I ordered two Cybooks?
      Well that other Cybook was for my neighbour, a very nice woman.
      Guess what.
      Yep, hers works ok.
      Aaargll!

      My Cybook does not work with ActiveSync, not on my pc, not on hers,
      not on any.
      I can't think of any mistake I make.
      It'll probably work fine for the majority of people.
      Probably...
      Ah well, I copy my ebooks directly onto my memorycard and no harm
      done.

      "The pedal to the metal"

      Ok, back to the bits that do work.
      Like I said, it is ok to fiddle around with a Cybook pretending that
      it is a full grown tablet pc.
      But ofcourse the Cybook isn't a tablet pc.
      It is a device for reading e-books.
      Does it do that?
      OH YES!
      Cybook will give you a very clear, crisp and above all troublefree
      read of just about any kind of e-book on the market.
      Or the black market for that matter.
      The usenet newsgroups are an unending -sofar- source of text.
      Txt, pdb, prc, rtf, html, you name it, we read it.
      The excelent software, clear and adjustable screen and easy to reach
      buttons all make for a smooth reading experience and it all firmly
      puts you right back in the comfortable seat of your Bentley.
      An open road in front of you, the chauffeur on the backseat (who needs
      him anyway)and a lovely sunshine.

      "That's not a moon, it's a spacestation!"

      The size.
      You wont be taking this beauty with you in any easy way unless you are
      used to logging a laptop along with you.
      A Cybook is about the same size and about half the weight.
      It is impossible to put the Cybook in your pocket unless you are a
      politician.
      In a waiting room or at the busstop the Cybook is not in its best
      element.
      But if used properly, at home, rocking chair, woodfire, glas of wine
      and a dog at your feet no device in the world can beat a Cybook.
      Kudos to Bokeen for that.
      Also you can comfortably use your Cybook in bed as long as you
      remember two things.
      One, don't try to read it if you are positioned sideways, you'll miss
      part of your screen, it sort of blanks out a bit.
      Two, kick your partner out of bed because you'll need all the space
      you can get.

      While using it I discover -I don't read manuals remember- all kinds of
      clever little things like the automatic shut-off if I close the cover
      and the instant springing back to life if I lift the cover again.
      Sweet!

      "Use the force."

      The batterylife.
      Much has been written about this.
      In short, I have had no problems sofar.
      If I use the Cybook very intense with internetting and high
      brightness, I can comfortably use it for about 2 hours.
      Reading books on a low(er) brightness setting gives me more than 3
      hours of use.
      More than enough.
      Charging the battery takes about 3 to 5 hours.
      Using the Cybook while recharging is no problem at all thanks to the
      lenghty cord on the power adapter.

      "Thanks for the memories."

      Memory on the Cybook can be used in two ways.
      The more memory you use on storage, the less you'll have for running
      programs.
      With memory it is just the same as with money, there is never enough.
      This is where the memory cards come in handy.
      On a 128 mb memorycard you can store more books than you can read in
      ..well a long time.

      So far my experiences with Cybook are positive, apart from ActiveSync
      that is.
      A definite "all systems go!" for everyone who is into serious reading.
      Don't think you will be buying a tablet pc or a Palm.
      The Cybook is an e-book reader and as such it does a great job!

      Greetings from Holland everyone!
    • Keith
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
        Wow, this is not fair.  I have to wait until I waste all of my company's money on a stupid business trip before I can order my CyBook.  BUT... Once I get back in town, I will be placing my order.  This is too exciting to pass up :-)

        Keith

        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005

          Tryst,  Hello

          I'm hoping to reduce my monthly book costs and reduce the clutter associated with having so many books around the house.

          E-books can be just as expensive as paper books; however with the Cybook you can shop around for the best price.  You may want to consider buying into fictionwise’s buywise club.  Here’s their url

          http://www.fictionwise.com/help/buywisefaq.htm

          I didn’t at first and realized that I could really save money with it.  It may or not be suitable for you.  It depends on how much you like to buy books.  The Cybook will definitely save on space.

          I'm also sold on the idea of using the Cybook as sort of a junior laptop (web surfing, light email).  I wonder if the Cybook is easy for the non-techie to set up and use.

          Web surfing is great on the Cybook, but there are some secure sites with certain java scripts that I haven’t been able to access.  For email on the fly it is great.  As far as ease of use if you have ever used a pocket PC then it will be easy to use.  If not, I am sure that someone here on the board will help get you connected.

          I'm trying to decide if I should buy an extra memory card for the Cybook.

          I did.  I have a 512mb card.  Shop around and wait until you can get one for cheap.  Until then 128mb is not bad.

          Can I store books/ programs on the internal memory or is that just for the operating system?

          You can store books on both, but I recommend putting all books on the memory card.   That way if you must hard reset, you don’t have to reload the books again. As far as programs, I would put them in internal memory and use active sync back up regularly.  I believe that programs will run faster in the internal memory, but I don’t know for sure.  I haven’t downloaded any new programs yet.

          Now about that internet connection.  I have dial up service at home through AOL.  Do I need to purchase additional accessories to get
          connected to the internet?  Can I use my existing AOL account or will I need to set up a new account?  If I purchase a WiFi CompactFlash
          card can take my Cybook to my local cafe and surf the internet?  Will I need two different PCMCIA adapters one for memory and one for WiFi
          or can I use the PCMCIA adapter that comes standard with the Cybook for both?

          I use the wifi card and I connect easily to the internet.  The wifi card uses the same adapter.  I don’t have AOL so I will stay out of that.

          HTH

          Ellen

        • tryst_007
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
            Hi I'm a book lover from Northern California. Thanks to everyone for
            sharing their experiences with the Cybook!

            I'm thinking about purchasing a Cybook. I'm hoping to reduce my
            monthly book costs and reduce the clutter associated with having so
            many books around the house. The top selling point for the Cybook is
            its multi-reader format. I'm also sold on the idea of using the
            Cybook as sort of a junior laptop (web surfing, light email). I
            wonder if the Cybook is easy for the non-techie to set up and use.

            Someone from Holland mentioned a trade off between memory used for
            storage and memory used for running programs. I'm trying to decide if
            I should buy an extra memory card for the Cybook. Can I store a lot
            of books and connect to the internet, check email, draft a note using
            128MB? Approximately how many is "a lot" of books? Should I think in
            terms of hundreds or thousands. Can I store books/ programs on the
            internal memory or is that just for the operating system? (Sorry in
            advance if that's a stupid question)

            Now about that internet connection. I have dial up service at home
            through AOL. Do I need to purchase additional accessories to get
            connected to the internet? Can I use my existing AOL account or will
            I need to set up a new account? If I purchase a WiFi CompactFlash
            card can take my Cybook to my local cafe and surf the internet? Will
            I need two different PCMCIA adapters one for memory and one for WiFi
            or can I use the PCMCIA adapter that comes standard with the Cybook
            for both?

            Thanks,
            Tryst
          • Dax
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
              Some thoughts on your Active Sync problem.

              Did you have a version of Active Sync on your computer before you tried to install Cybook?
              If so or just because it doesn't work, make sure you remove Active Sync with the Add/Remove programs from your desktop computer.  It must be completely removed then reinstall the new Active Sync.
              Restart your computer and soft reset the Cybook.
              Make sure your Cybook Active Sync is set to the USB connection not infrared or advanced.
              Plug the USB into the computer and Cybook and follow the set up partnership wizard.

              I had trouble getting the Cybook to talk to my desktop computer and this is what I did.

              Good luck and let us know.

              Barb

            • netlola
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
                --- In cybook@yahoogroups.com, "P. de Groot" <pdegroot@x> wrote:
                > "Your transaction has been recorded".
                >

                > In no time I was internetting, downloading en sending out email and
                > watching the wonders of the world wide web in full colour.
                > It was all huge fun.
                > Until the sunroof got stuck and the rain and thunder started.
                > My particulair sunroof is called ActiveSync.
                > It has developed a small problem.
                > It doesn't work.
                > At all.
                > Not in any way.
                >
                > I have tried everythig.
                > Older versions, updating all kinds of drivers, restarting more times
                > than I can remember, reading through thousands of pages helpfiles,
                > sticking pins in voodoo dolls of Bill Gates.
                > Nothing helps. (Well, sticking those pins was stress relieving)
                > This is not the worst of it.
                > Remember I ordered two Cybooks?
                > Well that other Cybook was for my neighbour, a very nice woman.
                > Guess what.
                > Yep, hers works ok.
                > Aaargll!
                >
                > My Cybook does not work with ActiveSync, not on my pc, not on hers,
                > not on any.
                > I can't think of any mistake I make.
                > It'll probably work fine for the majority of people.
                > Probably...
                > Ah well, I copy my ebooks directly onto my memorycard and no harm
                > done.
                >
                > "The pedal to the metal"

                From what you describe with your problems with ActiveSync and the fact
                that it does not work on your neighbor's computer, while hers works
                perfectly, I think I may know the cause of your problem - it is your
                USB connection. It is either the port or the cable. In any event, I
                would email Bookeen. They are most helpful. I myself had a problem
                with my Cybook and they sent me a replacement unit within a few days.

                Another thought - make sure the version of ActiveSync on your PC is
                3.8 - earlier versions do not like to play with the Cybook.

                I also have to say, when I read your post, I was shrieking with
                laughter - you're writing skills and sense of humor are amazing.
                Please keep posting, if only for the fun of reading more of your
                observations (and hopefully seeing a resolution to your ActiveSync
                dilemma).
                P.S: With any luck Bill Gates is writhing in pain right now from the
                prick of those voodoo pins.....
              • Kerstin
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 4, 2005
                  Haloo, Holland,
                  I had big problem with Active sync too. I uninstalled and installed
                  again and then it was working. Later a day I made a bargain in a shop,
                  a USB-hub (4) together with a card-reader. That´s excellent. Now I
                  can
                  download from my digitalcamera and the Cybook card easy and fast.
                  Thanks for pleasant reading your letter! The little Ant...I thougt
                  something was missing on my Cybook. Now I know it is as it is.
                  But if I lose my small tap-pen, then I need to use all my money for
                  buing one new one. That is not so good/Kerstin

                • David Benson
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 4, 2005
                    I had trouble with my active sync when I first got ebook--after a while I got it working--then I found out I had the usb cable plugged in wrong--the adapter plugs into the Cybook(that is according to the directions)--but I got it to work anyway.---My suggestion would be to try reversing the cable.

                    Dave Benson
                    washington DC

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 4, 2005
                      That is important to controll. But my cable was right. A card reader
                      is mor convenience/Kerstin

                    • elsje54
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 5, 2005
                        --- In cybook@yahoogroups.com, "Ellen V. Hage" <ehage@h...> wrote:
                        > Tryst, Hello
                        >

                        > I'm hoping to reduce my monthly book costs and reduce the clutter
                        associated
                        > with having so many books around the house.
                        >
                        >there are manny free boobs availeble on the internet look for
                        project gutenburg there are so manny books you can nevere read in a
                        liftime

> [...]
                        downloaded any
                        > new programs yet.
                        >

                        > Now about that internet connection. I have dial up service at home
                        through
                        > AOL. Do I need to purchase additional accessories to get
                        > connected to the internet? Can I use my existing AOL account or
                        will I need
                        > to set up a new account? If I purchase a WiFi CompactFlash
                        > card can take my Cybook to my local cafe and surf the internet?
                        Will I need
                        > two different PCMCIA adapters one for memory and one for WiFi
                        > or can I use the PCMCIA adapter that comes standard with the Cybook
                        for
                        > both?
                        >

                        > I use the wifi card and I connect easily to the internet. The wifi
                        card
                        > uses the same adapter. I don't have AOL so I will stay out of that.

                      • Scott Petersen
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 5, 2005
                          Has anyone tried installing non-Latin fonts such as Cyrillic? Would the
                          use of such fonts be a function of Windows CE or the player itself?

                          Scott Petersen
                          Nagoya, Japan
                        • P. de Groot
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 6, 2005
                            --- In cybook@yahoogroups.com, A lot of friendly people wrote:

                            First I would like to thank everyone in this excelent group for the
                            tips on my ActiveSync problem.
                            I have tried every suggested solution and I have good news.
                            ActiveSync still doesn't work.
                            But hey that's ok because it gives me something to work on between
                            reading sessions on my Cybook.
                            And to be perfectly honest, I kind of like it that way because it is a
                            bit of a challenge.
                            Someday, somehow I'll get it to work and maybe in the proces I'll find
                            a cure for the common cold, a solution for worldpeace and a better way
                            to open those pesky lids on the little plastic coffeecream boxes you
                            get in cheap restaurants.
                            And if all else fails I am sure the people at Bokeen will be most
                            willing to help me with my small problem.

                            And it is not that big a problem because I can copy all ebooks
                            directly onto my memorycard using my desktop pc.
                            And boy, do I read books...
                            Reading a Cybook is about the most fun anyone can have alone in the
                            dark in bed.
                            Erm..yes I am quite sure I mean that.

                            As long as I don't have to install extra programs on my Cybook I am ok.
                            Again, thank you all for the nice tips!
                            Greetings from Holland, have a Dutch tulip:

                            |/
                            __|__
                          • P. de Groot
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 6, 2005
                              --- In cybook@yahoogroups.com, Scott Petersen <petersen@m...> wrote:
                              > Has anyone tried installing non-Latin fonts such as Cyrillic? Would the
                              > use of such fonts be a function of Windows CE or the player itself?

                              Hi Scott,

                              Because I didn't have a Cyrillic font handy, I tried installing
                              webdings wich as fonts go is pretty weird in itself.
                              I copied the font onto my memory card and then pasted it in the
                              windows directory on the Cybook.
                              Works like a charm!
                              I can now read whole books in a kind of modern-Egyptian pictograms and
                              write all my Word docs even more garbled then usual.
                              The TTF-font becomes a function of Windows but the good news is that
                              Mobi-pocket reader picked up the font with no problems at all.
                              Wish I could say the same about U-reader and Boo but as far as I can
                              see they are pretty rigid about fonttypes but perhaps someone else
                              with more computerknowledge than me -I rate about the same as an
                              average escargot- can help you with this one?

                              Piet.
                            • Laurent Picard
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 6, 2005
                                Hi Scott,

                                You can install the TrueType fonts of your choice on the Cybook. Simply copy
                                the TTF files in the <\Windows> directory. Support of TrueType fonts is
                                natively provided by "Windows CE". Programs can behave differently with
                                regards to font management.

                                "Mobipocket Reader" allows you to select directly the font of your choice.
                                "µBook Reader" does too but uses the system default code page to render the
                                characters (does not process Unicode).

                                For your information, the embedded "Tahoma" font already provides support
                                the "Basic Latin", "Latin-1 Supplement", "Latin Extended-A", "Greek" &
                                "Cyrillic" Unicode ranges.

                                Our next operating system image has support for additional character code
                                pages (including Cyrillic). By choosing the desired system locale (e.g.
                                "Russian" in the "Regional Settings" panel), "µBook Reader" will also be
                                able to display Cyrillic documents (with the "Tahoma" font).

                                What are your specific needs?
                                To be sure our next image meets your needs, please send me sample documents
                                of yours, which we will include to our test suites. Interesting formats are
                                TXT, RTF, PRC, HTM, PDF...

                                All the best,
                                Laurent

                                Bookeen - www.bookeen.com
                                Ubibooks - www.ubibooks.com

                                Has anyone tried installing non-Latin fonts such as Cyrillic? Would the
                                use of such fonts be a function of Windows CE or the player itself?

                                Scott Petersen
                                Nagoya, Japan

                                Découvrez le nouveau Yahoo! Mail : 1 Go d'espace de stockage pour vos mails, photos et vidéos !
                                Créez votre Yahoo! Mail sur http://fr.mail.yahoo.com
                              • spemin11
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 6, 2005
                                  Hi Laurent:

                                  The boo reader can provide great reading experience. I have some
                                  troubles with this reader:

                                  1. It crashes very often, don't know why. After crash, it forced to do
                                  the hard reboot. Soft reboot or send reboot don't solve the problems.

                                  2. I want to convert html files to boo format. First I converted it to
                                  oeb format. Then I don't have tools to convert to .boo format. Is .boo
                                  format proprietary, not disclosed to public explicitly or implicitly? I
                                  assume xoeb is another layer of wrapup from oeb, hence the conversion
                                  should be straightforward.

                                  Thanks!

                                  Harry
                                • massimo.negroni
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 14, 2006
                                    Hello
                                    I've only serial cable to connect my PC to the cybook but I'm
                                    experience some problem and I cannot connect my PC running XP SP2 with
                                    active sync 4.1 with my new cybook
                                    Are there some tips to help me ?

                                    Thanks
                                    Massimo
                                  • chris@chrism.demon.co.uk
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jun 15, 2006
                                      Quoting "massimo.negroni" <massimo.negroni@...>:

                                      > Hello
                                      > I've only serial cable to connect my PC to the cybook but I'm
                                      > experience some problem and I cannot connect my PC running XP SP2 with
                                      > active sync 4.1 with my new cybook
                                      > Are there some tips to help me ?

                                      I guess one thing to say is that there's actually very reason to use ActiveSync
                                      with a CyBook - it doesn't actually sync with anything, since there's no
                                      address book, calendar, etc. Personally I find it a lot easier to simply copy
                                      files to a CF memory card via a card reader on the PC.

                                      Regards,

                                      Chris