Re: Kindle DX is for real

  • Harry
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 5, 2009
      Hi Chris:

      Thanks for thinking in a different perspective! Regarding the market share of Kindle DX, I believe it is a matter of time, just like Walmart didn't have world market many years ago. Amazon certainly will copy its success to the rest of world outside of US.

      Being too big might indeed a problem for majority readers, great for technical readers, this will narrow down its customer base; absolutely agree.

      I haven't got Kindle DX yet, don't know how comfortably the pdf reading is. I believe that PDF reading experience will improve later.

      2nd note, a new ebook reading device is on the horizon, it is called Plastic Logic eReader. Check out to find more about this device.

      regards,

      Harry

      --- In cybook@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Marriott" <chris@...> wrote:

      > I must respectfully disagree with you about the Kindle DX. Firstly - and most importantly - there is the fact that 95% of the world's population cannot buy it; it is only available on the USA, thus making it irrelevent to the overwhelming majority of us.
      >
      > Secondly is the fact that it's just too big to carry around with you everywhere that you go, as one can with the CyBook.
      >
      > Thirdly comes the fact that the DX was "trumpeted" as being the "solution" for reading PDF files on a large screen. Its PDF support turns out to be truly pathetic. No hyperlinks, no table of contents, no annotation, no search, no dictionary lookup. For technical books, and so on, where you want to look up specific information, it's pretty much useless.
      >
      > There is certainly a market for large-screen devices, but it's a different market to that for 6" devices. I still maintain, personally, that the CyBook is one of the best 6" devices on the market; it unquestionably still has the best Mobipocket support.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Chris

    • Harry
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 5, 2009
        Kindle can be used to read pdf files. You can generate your pdf files and upload into your kindle device. The best freeware to generate pdf is called pdfcreator, just print and you'll have your pdf generated. I don't buy many online ebooks, instead I generate my own pdf ebooks. I had the same trouble to maintain the digital right stuff for ebooks I bought before. Different version of acrobat may not be able to read the same ebook with digital rights.