Kindle DX is for real

  • Harry
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 4, 2009
      I don't have the current version of cybook. But I can tell Kindle DX is a great one, everybody should own it. It is a bit expensive, but it is really readable, usable. It costs about $490 from amazon.com. The resolution is high, just like a small notebook. I have setup a group for kindle dx as
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kindledx
      I tried to manually send invitation to every one, it is just too many. I need to find a way to do it automatically later. I may like the group together. Kindle DX is much more exciting than cybook, I believe.
    • Roger1935 Jones
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 4, 2009
        Harry,
           I would have to agree that at the present time the Kindle DX is the cream of the crop. I just hope Cybook learns and improves on it - a tough job.
        Roger

        To: cybook@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 4, 2009
          Well, tough market and good for consumers. Here is the new one on the horizon:

          http://d7.allthingsd.com/20090527/d7-tech-demo-plastic-logic/

          Plastic Logic's eReader. It is a direct competitor of Kindle DX. Just take a look at it.

          --- In cybook@yahoogroups.com, Roger1935 Jones <Roger1935@...> wrote:

          > Harry,
          >
          > I would have to agree that at the present time the Kindle DX is the cream of the crop. I just hope Cybook learns and improves on it - a tough job.
          >
          > Roger
          >

          > To: cybook@yahoogroups.com
          > From: spemin11@...
          > Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 16:00:06 +0000
          > Subject: [cybook] Kindle DX is for real
          >

          > I don't have the current version of cybook. But I can tell Kindle DX is a great one, everybody should own it. It is a bit expensive, but it is really readable, usable. It costs about $490 from amazon.com. The resolution is high, just like a small notebook. I have setup a group for kindle dx as
          > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kindledx
          > I tried to manually send invitation to every one, it is just too many. I need to find a way to do it automatically later. I may like the group together. Kindle DX is much more exciting than cybook, I believe.

          > Hotmail® has ever-growing storage! Don't worry about storage limits.
          > http://windowslive.com/Tutorial/Hotmail/Storage?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Tutorial_Storage_062009

        • Chris Marriott
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 4, 2009
            I must respectfully disagree with you about the Kindle DX. Firstly - and most importantly - there is the fact that 95% of the world's population cannot buy it; it is only available on the USA, thus making it irrelevent to the overwhelming majority of us.

            Secondly is the fact that it's just too big to carry around with you everywhere that you go, as one can with the CyBook.

            Thirdly comes the fact that the DX was "trumpeted" as being the "solution" for reading PDF files on a large screen. Its PDF support turns out to be truly pathetic. No hyperlinks, no table of contents, no annotation, no search, no dictionary lookup. For technical books, and so on, where you want to look up specific information, it's pretty much useless.

            There is certainly a market for large-screen devices, but it's a different market to that for 6" devices. I still maintain, personally, that the CyBook is one of the best 6" devices on the market; it unquestionably still has the best Mobipocket support.

            Regards,

            Chris

            To: cybook@yahoogroups.com
            From: spemin11@...
            Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 16:00:06 +0000

          • CoziePudl@AOL.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 5, 2009
              Do I understand correctly that the Kindle can only be used with a proprietary format of book?

              I purchase books for light reading and they are pretty cheap. But as my library has grown, the cost sure does add up. It worries me to consider the future. I prefer the Mobipocket format, but increasingly I am purchasing books in secure e-reader format since I believe that I will always have the code to unlock them on new devices with(the name/credit card number used to purchase them, as opposed to Mobipocket's PID. I've already had one vendor I bought from go out of business, so I can't go back and change the PID for those books.

              I can't imagine buying a book reader using limited formats. If Amazon abandons Kindle in the future, will that mean that all books are unreadable once the Kindle eventually dies?

              Mary Ann

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 5, 2009
                   I guess I'm confused - I thought we were talking about quality and readability, not availability. A Mercedes is not available to me because of the cost but a Ford Escape is available to me but I readily concede the superiority of the Mercedes.
                I agree the Kindle DX is too big in my books - pun intended - and the Cybook is a better size but if you want to argue on these merits then get an eBookwise. End of that argument as far as I am concerned.
                   As far as the various formats question, that is something I have never concerned myself with - I have never had a problem finding what I wanted with either the Cybook or eBookwise. As far as having a book lasting forever, I just don't worry about that either. Many people spend their time fretting over technical questions when they should be reading books. It is always amazing to me that on all the various forums folks spend almost no time talking about books but rather about technical aspects of various devices. Having said that, I am still excited at the prospect of having color again as I did with my first Cybook.
                  A good day to all,
                Roger

                To: cybook@yahoogroups.com

                To: cybook@yahoogroups. com

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 5, 2009
                  Hi Chris:

                  Thanks for thinking in a different perspective! Regarding the market share of Kindle DX, I believe it is a matter of time, just like Walmart didn't have world market many years ago. Amazon certainly will copy its success to the rest of world outside of US.

                  Being too big might indeed a problem for majority readers, great for technical readers, this will narrow down its customer base; absolutely agree.

                  I haven't got Kindle DX yet, don't know how comfortably the pdf reading is. I believe that PDF reading experience will improve later.

                  2nd note, a new ebook reading device is on the horizon, it is called Plastic Logic eReader. Check out to find more about this device.

                  regards,

                  Harry

                  --- In cybook@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Marriott" <chris@...> wrote:

                  > I must respectfully disagree with you about the Kindle DX. Firstly - and most importantly - there is the fact that 95% of the world's population cannot buy it; it is only available on the USA, thus making it irrelevent to the overwhelming majority of us.
                  >
                  > Secondly is the fact that it's just too big to carry around with you everywhere that you go, as one can with the CyBook.
                  >
                  > Thirdly comes the fact that the DX was "trumpeted" as being the "solution" for reading PDF files on a large screen. Its PDF support turns out to be truly pathetic. No hyperlinks, no table of contents, no annotation, no search, no dictionary lookup. For technical books, and so on, where you want to look up specific information, it's pretty much useless.
                  >
                  > There is certainly a market for large-screen devices, but it's a different market to that for 6" devices. I still maintain, personally, that the CyBook is one of the best 6" devices on the market; it unquestionably still has the best Mobipocket support.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > Chris

                • Harry
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 5, 2009
                    Kindle can be used to read pdf files. You can generate your pdf files and upload into your kindle device. The best freeware to generate pdf is called pdfcreator, just print and you'll have your pdf generated. I don't buy many online ebooks, instead I generate my own pdf ebooks. I had the same trouble to maintain the digital right stuff for ebooks I bought before. Different version of acrobat may not be able to read the same ebook with digital rights.