We are now a Moderated list

  • John Hartwell (Jno)
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 3, 2009
      Well, I opened my big mouth. So Harry, our esteemed Listowner, has prevailed upon me to undertake the Moderation of this list.

      I do so with some hesitation, because I don't really know the mechanics of it all. But if you'll bear with me, I'll get the hang of it. My objective is simple, and I'll be rather ruthless:

      NO, absolutely NO off-topic posting. No obscene or abusive posts. Originators will be blocked or banned from participation.

      If anyone has any objections or alternative suggestions, I will be glad to consider them.

      As you will see if you visit the group's Homepage, we've already gotten off to a good start -- that's Harry's work this past week, not mine.

      Let's make this an informative and enjoyable discussion of ebooks and ebook technology.

      Regards,
      Jno
    • Roger1935 Jones
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3, 2009
        Finally! Now I can take cybook posts out of my junk folder.
        Thanks,
        Roger

        To: cybook@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 3, 2009
          Excellent!

          I am very interested in how people like their newer Cybooks as well as Kindles, etc. I find I'm not using my Cybook as frequently as I used to, since I prefer to load my books onto an SD card for my Palm TX and keep it under my pillow at night. It is great for reading a few pages when I wake up at 3 a.m. and it frequently puts me right back to sleep. Unfortunately it means the newer generation ebook readers are a problem since they don't use a backlight and I really don't want to get into using a booklight as well as an e-reader. What are people using for reading in the dark?

          One concern I have is that I went back to read one of the first books I bought online. The company is out of business and so the PIDs were out of date. Fortunately I was able to load it onto my Cybook to read it, but it does cause me some concern for all the hundreds of books I have purchased that may someday be unreadable. What are other people doing so they can keep their books current?

          Thx.

          Mary Ann
        • Roger1935 Jones
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 3, 2009
            I had a 1st generation Cybook and loved it, mostly because I could generate background and text colors. I sold it 2 years ago - mistake. However, I have had an eBookwise for years and love it. It is actually very popular and I have no problems finding great titles. The backlight is perfect. I just can't get into reading on devices like the TX, although I have one. I am waiting for the Cybook that comes out with e-ink and color. Kindle may beat them to it but I am sold on the Cybook. In the meantime, for you, think about the eBookwise.
            Roger

            To: cybook@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 4, 2009
              Nokia e51 + http://www.qreader.com/
              it's _small_ screen, but better than nothing,
              and I can read really anywhere.
              a.

              --
              Andrej Kvasnica, mailto:andrej@...
            • CoziePudl@AOL.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 4, 2009
                Thanks for the recommendation. Do eBookwise readers handle the various book formats?

                Mary Ann
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 4, 2009
                     The eBookwise won't handle all of the various formats but if you go to Guttenberg, Munsey's and lot's of the free sites you will find tons of downloadables. Munsey's, which is a great site, has the RB (for RocketBook) format, and mavbe a couple of others, for the eBookwise. The eBookwise site itself is terrific and it also has lots of free books. I like dedicated ebook readers and there are lot's of good ones out there. The thing about the eBookwise is that it is about the size of a paperback, the grayscale screen with the two sizes of fonts and the low price fit me perfectly. I have about a hundred books on it and it can take many more.
                     It must be liked by many readers because it has been available for so long. I just bought my second one a few months ago because I broke my first (my fault - they are very durable but sure can't handle what mine went through). Having said all that I still can't wait for the "color" generation of the Cybook to come out. In the meantime, go to the eBookwise site, look around and then if you decide on one, go to eBay. That's where I bought my first one.
                     Good Luck - and, isn't it nice to have a moderator? THANKS, Moderator!
                  Roger

                  To: cybook@yahoogroups.com
                  From: CoziePudl@...
                  Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 09:32:13 -0400