Skip to search.

Re: [cybook] Re: Cybook 3

  • chris@chrism.demon.co.uk
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 17, 2008
      Quoting blackrat779 <blackrat779@...>:

      > Hi Chris,
      > Thanks for the speedy reply. I think I will end up buying one but have
      > you found any downsides to owning one?
      >
      > Stu

      It has a few minor bugs (it occasionally reboots when you look up the
      definition of a word in a dictionary, for example), but normal
      "reading" is flawless and works beautfully. I love it and would
      recommend it to you without hestitation. Battery life is great and as
      long as you buy the optional case (this is essential!) it's very well
      protected and sturdy.

      Regards,

      Chris
    • blackrat779
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 17, 2008
        Chris,
        Thanks again. As soon as they get some in I will be buying one
        Cheers,

        Stu

        --- In cybook@yahoogroups.com, chris@... wrote:

        > Quoting blackrat779 <blackrat779@...>:
        >
        > > Hi Chris,
        > > Thanks for the speedy reply. I think I will end up buying one but have
        > > you found any downsides to owning one?
        > >
        > > Stu
        > >

        > It has a few minor bugs (it occasionally reboots when you look up the
        > definition of a word in a dictionary, for example), but normal
        > "reading" is flawless and works beautfully. I love it and would
        > recommend it to you without hestitation. Battery life is great and as
        > long as you buy the optional case (this is essential!) it's very well
        > protected and sturdy.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Chris

      • david driscoll
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 17, 2008
          Just do what I've done with my rocket-book at the
          beach or in the tub/jacuzzi; put it in a sturdy
          zip-lock bag and it should be well protected from all
          the elements.

          David

        • Linnette
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 17, 2008
            "Not Another E-Book" (NAEB) is about to make thier first order of 100
            units, perhaps you can get in on that order.
            http://www.naebllc.com/

            Good Luck, you will love this eBook Reader!

            Linnette

            --- In cybook@yahoogroups.com, "blackrat779" <blackrat779@...> wrote:

            > Chris,
            > Thanks again. As soon as they get some in I will be buying one
            > Cheers,
            >
            > Stu
          • blackrat779
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 19, 2008
              Hi all,
              Thanks for the replies, I have now ordered my Cybook 3 and its due
              before the end of January. Can anyone help me with which files it can
              read? I have looked at the homepage and there seems to be exceptions
              under most of the file types. The common file types at the book stores
              I would like to use are Microsoft ebook, Adobe ebook and Mobipocket
              (i'm guessing there are no problems with the last format)What about
              the first two? Can it read them or do I have to convert them first and
              if so how do you do it?

              The reason I ask is because I wanted to buy a couple of books before
              the Cybook arrives that aren't in Mobipocket format.

              Thanks in advance,

              Stu

              --- In cybook@yahoogroups.com, "blackrat779" <blackrat779@...> wrote:

              > Hi Chris,
              > Thanks for the speedy reply. I think I will end up buying one but have
              > you found any downsides to owning one?
              >
              > Stu
              >

              > --- In cybook@yahoogroups.com, chris@ wrote:
              > >
              > > Quoting blackrat779 <blackrat779@>:
              > >
              > > > Hi,
              > > > I am hoping to get the new generation 3 Cybook. One of my favourite
              > > > pastimes (when I get the chance) is to lie on a sun lounger on a
              beach
              > > > anywhere I can and read a book. My question is, would a Cybook be ok
              > > > in these sort of conditions? Obviously it would have to be kept
              clear
              > > > of sand and water, but have any of you used them under these
              > conditions?
              > > >
              > > > The biggest benefit I can see is that I could take, say, 5 books
              with
              > > > me and take up a lot less room in my case than now, but if its too
              > > > flimsy (I have only seen pictures on the net)then I would be better
              > > > just taking paperbacks and rethinking ebooks.
              > > >
              > > > I would be grateful for any feedback.
              > >
              > > Hi Stu,
              > >
              > > I've had my Gen3 since the start of November. As long as you get the
              > > case for it, it's very sturdy and you should have no problems on a
              > > beach - all its ports are covered.
              > >
              > > Regards,
              > >
              > > Chris

            • Chris Marriott
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 19, 2008
                > Thanks for the replies, I have now ordered my Cybook 3 and its due
                > before the end of January. Can anyone help me with which files it can
                > read? I have looked at the homepage and there seems to be exceptions
                > under most of the file types. The common file types at the book stores
                > I would like to use are Microsoft ebook, Adobe ebook and Mobipocket
                > (i'm guessing there are no problems with the last format)What about
                > the first two? Can it read them or do I have to convert them first and
                > if so how do you do it?

                There's no way of reading DRM-protected PDF files on the Gen3.

                It is possible to convert LIT files for the Gen3, but this involves removal
                of DRM which is illegal in the UK. We don't talk about illegal stuff on this
                mailing list.

                MobiPocket files can be read directly.

                Regards,

                Chris
              • blackrat779
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 19, 2008
                  Hi Chris,
                  Ok, I'm a bit lacking in knowledge here. If I buy a book in Adobe
                  ebook does that mean its always DRM protected? How about Microsoft
                  ebook is it the same for them? Please excuse my ignorance.

                  Stu
                  > > Thanks for the replies, I have now ordered my Cybook 3 and its due
                  > > before the end of January. Can anyone help me with which files it can
                  > > read? I have looked at the homepage and there seems to be exceptions
                  > > under most of the file types. The common file types at the book stores
                  > > I would like to use are Microsoft ebook, Adobe ebook and Mobipocket
                  > > (i'm guessing there are no problems with the last format)What about
                  > > the first two? Can it read them or do I have to convert them first and
                  > > if so how do you do it?
                  >
                  > There's no way of reading DRM-protected PDF files on the Gen3.
                  >
                  > It is possible to convert LIT files for the Gen3, but this involves
                  removal
                  > of DRM which is illegal in the UK. We don't talk about illegal stuff
                  on this
                  > mailing list.
                  >
                  > MobiPocket files can be read directly.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > Chris

                • Chris Marriott
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 19, 2008
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 19, 2008
                      Hi Chris,
                      Thanks for the good info, you've probably just saved me some money.

                      Thanks,
                      Stu